University of Pittsburgh Class of 2028 Official Discussion Thread

Yes, thank you. I’ll have to ask my dd if she applied for this at all or not. I’ve left a lot of this process up to her so I’m not terribly familiar with the programs. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks to this thread for alerting us. Went and checked the doc center and there was a merit scholarship letter for $10000/year. OOS, Public health major, got guaranteed into Law if needed. We are pretty excited.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. We checked the document center and S24 got a $20,000/year scholarship. He is OOS for the college of letters and science. We are very thankful.

4.0/4.6
36 ACT
8 AP classes
12 or 13 (still deciding about next semester) concurrent enrollment classes

8 Likes

Congrats! Very big deal

1 Like

Congrats to all who have received merit scholarship letters! Does anyone know if there is a separate committee that looks at merit for in-state applicants? Is it typical that they do OOS first?

I am guessing it is more so that OOS received the vast majority of merit so that’s why you are seeing some come through but not in-state.

3 Likes

I found this - I’m not sure how old or how accurate it is now. It looks like it is several years old:
A University of Pittsburgh academic scholarship is merit-based financial aid. Pitt academic scholarships are awarded based strictly on a student’s high school academic record without regard to the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

In recent years, scholarship eligible students possessed ALL of the following:

• minimum SAT score of 1450 (math and critical reading scores only) or 33 ACT (Math and English subscores average)
  • overall ‘A’ average
  • top 5% class rank (if applicable) while participating in challenging high school curriculums consisting of AP/IB/Honors courses
  • record of excellence in various academic and nonacademic activities outside of the classroom

https://www.ieee-iri.org/oafa_subdomain/learn-about-aid/academic-scholarships.html

1 Like

Hi,

My son got the accept/decline buttons yesterday application is marked complete. When would we see the letter in the documents folder ?

4 Likes

I suspect, 24-48 hrs.

1 Like

I just got the accept/decline buttons a few minute ago!!! School of Computing and Info, Computational Biology. How long does it take to get the official acceptance letter in document center?

Also, have merit scholarships for OOS students started being awarded yet? If so, how long did it take between submitting your application and receiving merit as well as how long between accepted and receiving merit? Thank you in advance for your help and support.

3 Likes

By the way, for all future people, I got the accept/decline buttons exactly 4 weeks after submitting application.

2 Likes

Congrats! You should see letter in a couple days but it’s real, don’t worry.

With test optional in recent years, GPA may also play a role.

1 Like

Thanks. Even if I submitted my application as late as Sept 20, will I still be in the running for merit scholarships? Or is it mainly people who submitted in August? Maybe if there is someone who got scholarship submitting in late September can clarify…

This is pretty old. When you click on other links from the left hand menu, you get info on the fall 2014 class.

Pitt web site says to apply by Dec 1 for scholarship consideration.

The scholarship review is between Oct and March. From Pitt website, it mentioned some get it early but many more get it later as the committee sometimes needs to review application multiple times.

It appears that they only started giving out scholarships yesterday. Only a few people on this board have indicated that they have received one (so far).
You may want to post your question here: Merit Aid, University of Pittsburgh, class of 2028

Agreed, this is from a while ago. My two older ones got merit under this system. Eldest applied in April (Pitt had a low yield year, and they encouraged some kids to apply in April of their senior year) - that kid got $2K/yr. Middle kid applied in Fall 2015 for Fall 2016 start, and received full tuition (in-state).

I don’t think they do the full tuition these days as just a “general” scholarship - it would be tied to some specific scholarship (though I could be wrong on this.)

1 Like