University of Pittsburgh Nursing Information for Prospective Nursing Students

<p>I have compiled a great deal of information on the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing after taking a tour and being admitted to the school, so I thought I would start a thread for fellow CCers interested in the program.</p>

<p>Facts from 2009:</p>

<p>969 high school students applied
282 were admitted (29% acceptance rate)
121 matriculated (43%, the highest matriculation rate in the University)</p>

<p>1,032 students currently enrolled (graduate and undergraduate)
18% from out of state
13% from a diverse population
12% male</p>

<p>Current freshman class: 151 students (121 freshmen from high school, 30 transfer students)</p>

<p>29% of freshman class from out of state
11% male
13% minority
Avg. SAT for incoming freshmen of 1246
62% of incoming freshmen in top 10% of high school class</p>

<p>To date, graduates of the program have achieved a 100% pass rate on the NCLEX
96% passed on the first time in 2008</p>

<p>95% graduation rate</p>

<p>The School of Nursing has one of the highest retention rates in the university (96% remain enrolled)</p>

<p>$10 million in research funding, 103 active grants
(48 from NIH, 43 from external sources, 12 from internal Pitt sources)</p>

<p>Students complete 1300 clinical hours starting sophomore year and end the program with "Transition into Professional Nursing Practice," pairing one clinical instructor with one student in that student's chosen field of nursing. The student completes 270 hours of nursing in their interest area.</p>

<p>Study abroad: programs available in Switzerland, Denmark, and Italy</p>

<p>Nursing scholarships for incoming freshmen students:
Margaret Dick Scholarship
Visnovsky Miner Scholarship
Pierce Endowed Fund
Reed Memorial Scholarship
Rudy Endowed Scholarship for Future Nursing Leaders</p>

<p>Overall, the program is one of the most difficult to get into at the University of Pittsburgh and one of the most prestigious programs as well. For students who wish to become part of a community of nursing students, the Nursing Living Learning Community in Lothrop Hall (which connects to the School of Nursing via a skywalk) is an amazing option.</p>

<p>My impressions when I visited the school were characterized by sheer amazement. The school houses 2 cadaver labs, an extremely large SIM lab, and several patient simulation rooms in which students can practice for clinical procedures. The lobby of the school was recently renovated upon the receipt of a substantial alumni donation. The school is about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the Towers, making it well connected with the Pitt campus. Right across the street from the school of nursing is UPMC Montefiore, part of UPMC Presbyterian. </p>

<p>The faculty seems extremely eager to conduct research with students, and there is a lot of opportunity to do so. Overall, the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing is an amazing facility with an amazing reputation as well.</p>

<p>Congrats!</p>

<p>I’m already in school, but I love reading about other schools anyway. I almost applied to Pitt last year, but it’s about 6 hours from home (too far) and I didn’t think that I would get in anyway…</p>

<p>thank you very much! this was extremely helpful</p>

<p>No problem. Are you interested in Pitt for nursing, gustof777?</p>

<p>Pitt is a great program!!! But, can you shed any light on it’s ugly step-sister,Dusquesne? :)</p>

Thanks so much for all the detailed information smart.cookie. My DD will be going to U Pitt School of Nursing Fall 2017.