University of San Diego Class of 2027 Admissions

Same boat here. No mention of merit either, wondering if that means he didn’t receive any?

Same. No mention of major.

2 Likes

Son waitlisted, similar stats to those who have posted they were admitted. But nice letter at least! Congratulations to those who have been admitted.

Son admitted but no mention of merit. Does that mean none?

1 Like

I wondered the same…

I wondered the same… Daughter was offered generous merit at several other universities, so was hoping for the same at USD. :-/

Instagram says that merit awards are in the emails so I guess if it wasn’t there, nothing was given.

Yes I am surprised by this info about merit being included in email. Guess my son did not receive any either.

1 Like

My child was also waitlisted. OOS.
Had already moved on. Congrats to those admitted!

I agree on the waitlist letter - was very helpful! Said they received 16K apps and accepted 45% and then have 2K on the waitlist.

1 Like

Thanks so much for adding this information from the letter. My OOS waitlisted child did not share this with me. It adds so much context and hope (given several on this thread have been admitted but will not be accepting).

1 Like

It would be good to look up the Common Data Set for USD in the most recent admissions cycle (look for first-year admissions pages) to see how many they actually gave offers to off the waitlist. While 2,000 doesn’t seem like an excessive number of waitlist offers to make (some offer many many more), most schools will have already built in their “yield” in terms of the offers of admissions they made so that if they needed X number of students to enroll, they offered X times Y admissions knowing that only a certain percent normally enroll. So unfortunately just because people decline their offers that doesn’t mean they actually take anyone off the waitlist. You should be able to see in the Common Data Set what the pattern is. Generally it’s good to assume a waitlist is a soft rejection and make sure you start to love the schools that love you back so you can commit to one.

My son was also waitlisted. I am a USD alum so I was disappointed but not surprised. Agree with parent above who said it is a soft rejection. 2K is a huge waitlist. We are moving on in our household. For those who have been accepted… congrats and Go Toreros! It is a great school!

For reference, for the class of 2022-2023, 14,334 students applied. USD offered a spot on the waitlist to 3,072 candidates. 1,360 applicants accepted their spot, and in the end 37 were admitted.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s in effect a rejection. Alas. Schools have gotten pretty good at projecting yield and just use waitlists to fill remaining institutional needs once they see how the class shakes out.

1 Like

Son accepted! Yeah!

No merit aid though which is a bummer.

If enough of us in this boat, wait list may move!

Good luck all!

Have you seen a change in portal yet? My son was accepted yesterday but still no change in portal. Hoping to see merit when that is updated is not…unlikely he will be able to attend.

same… no update to portal. The letter did say 24 hours so I will check again around 3:00

They acknowledged in the waitlist letter that last year they admitted very few but stated n years prior they admitted quite a few so no telling and this year people have applied to so many schools. My daughter isn’t accepting a spot on the waitlist.

1 Like

Total COA has ballooned to just over $80k so likely lots who admitted won’t go, even with merit

2 Likes