University of South Carolina Deferred students

… and more APs. Oh look, it’s the College Board now in on the money grab :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think proximity to cities and internships play a role in career openings. My daughter at UMD had access to internships and jobs because of where the school was located. So she had a good portfolio and a job on day 1.

Child #2 picked a school he didn’t love, but had one of the top programs in his major. Had a specific company he wanted to work for and this school is a feeder for this company Changed major, loved school, looking for job and did internships over summer, so he’s fine

Child #3 wants a type of school (big, southern, winning sports). And who knows what major, just sports related.My preference for them is easy, they want a kind of school, they have choices, sure they will love it.

Most kids end up loving their school even if it wasn’t top choice. And I don’t think there is so much a tie in between elite colleges and career path, it’s what you make of where you go. At bigger schools there are so many paths

Did the UMD student intern during the school year - or just summer? During the year, I agree but for summer, kids are going all over - mine had an offer last year in NY and we are south. The first year NC - not near us. Full time jobs - all over. If during the year, absolutely, location matters but as an engineer, my kid could only do summer - too hard academically for a school year job.

#2 is scary - throwing away everything for a hope at one place…but glad it turns out he does love the school. This goes in the - you never know category. THere are so many schools out there that kids could be happy at - and not just the #1 they crave. This is a great anecdote you bring up.

Congrats on such great successes - especially #1 and #2. Make sure #2 is using indeed and linkedin to find jobs in addition to their career center. You can set up a daily feed and it’ll just email you the latest.

This is exactly what happened to my daughter.

1 Like

She interned in DC during her Junior year and Baltimore during Senior. Had offers from both companies prior to graduation.
Son’s school is a big school, and is well regarded on the East Coast, is nationally recognized and has a fruit for a mascot, so there wasn’t a downside except he wasn’t “in love with it” wanted West Coast. We live near NYC so summer internships. Wants to do cyber security, so plenty of jobs in that field.

So with #3, I just go with the flow and know they will find their niche.

Your daughter probably doesn’t want to think about it … but Salisbury would be in-state, save a ton of money, and they have an excellent elementary education program and Honors College.

Their website indicates that they will still consider applications on a space-available basis - and for an excellent student like your daughter, they’d love to hear from her.

1 Like

No, not an athlete recruit. It is mind-boggling how he got in. Even he says it.

Did anyone else not hear back yet? Deferred and no notification since Dec 14th. We did receive the VIP ID email, not sure that means anything?

There were a ton of people that received the VIP ID and were waitlisted or rejected. I think anyone who was deferred from Early Action heard back on Monday. Regular Decision I think is later in the month.

I’m very interested in how this year eventually settles. We are on 4 wait lists. Back in the day, wait list was just another rejection. But…. This year has a tsunami of applications probably from mostly the same kids chasing the same schools, but only being able to attend 1. Since some schools don’t release merit until March, that has to play a part in who ends up committing. If all the schools are awarding similar merit to the same kids, it’s going to create a semi blizzard of who is going to enroll once final merits are out.

It would be interesting to see how many kids eventually get in off waitlists because of the overlap in who is applying where, and can only go to one college. I also wonder if once merit has been sent out, how many accepted students withdraw their applications prior to May 1 because they got better merit elsewhere.

I don’t think this info is currently on the Common Data Set, but would love to see it. My guess is that there is lots of waitlist movement throughout April once colleges get a better idea of yield.

I told my kid to only stay on a waiting list if they would choose that school over any that had already accepted them, because that might give another kid who’s first choice was that school who is also on the waitlist to go So, I don’t know what they have done regarding choosing to stay on a wait list, but since they are happy with their acceptances, they will probably decline waitlist.

I know for my part I am excited to be able to go on the final college visits of my life in New Orleans over spring break. So vacation for me after 6 months of college anxiety.

3 Likes

Daughter was accepted into second choice major due to the business school being full. Has anyone had any luck hearing back from UoSC as to how difficult it is to switch majors? Do students that get admitted for their 2nd choice get notified before waitlisted students? or are they put to the bottom of the list? Thanks for any info.

2 Likes

Wondering the same!

I called about this. I was told its almost impossible to get into the Business School if you arent already. Good luck!

We were told that transferring into business is just as hard as going into business as a first year student. That came from our admissions counselor.

1 Like

I would hope that waitlisted students would be accepted in before an already accepted student is allowed to change majors. However, that may not be the case.

Daughter waitlisted after deferral ED. She declined immediately. Nursing, 4.2 gpa, “okay” test scores, but certified CNA, Varsity Captain, volunteer and work hours, clubs, Academic All Conference, exceptional essay.
Wanted to document this for future applicants. This year was a whirlwind and so different than my son who is graduating from college in May. This year was not one of holistic evaluation years for sure. All in all, she will end up somewhere she felt at home from the first time she stepped on the campus!

3 Likes

Does anyone know how/when UoSC notifies waitlisted applicants if a space opens and if there is some sort of ranking order or is it done by in order of date the waitlist offer was accepted?

1 Like

from the posts on the previous years in seems like they keep kids hanging on for way too long, hope not this year

1 Like

Is there a wave of waitlist acceptances before May 1st?

2 Likes

Any idea of a release date(s) on waitlist? Hoping they start trickling out over the next few weeks.

2 Likes