University of St. Andrews in Scotland -- Class of 2024

FWIW, my son’s counselor spoke by phone with admissions officers at St Andrews (and Edinburgh) who both said they did not need to see all test scores. They indicated it was up to the student to decide what scores to send. And when my son met with St Andrews admissions rep in person over coffee, she told him to send only scores he wants them to see. I know this is different from published UCAS instructions, but want to note the discrepancy. Perhaps these universities are leaning more toward US approach—where scores are thought of as “owned” by the student and therefore theirs to share or not. That said, they are interested in relevant course work, like academic summer classes.

For the benefit of other potential applicants, be very very careful not to extrapolate from this ^^ post. There are definitely UK universities that expect you to follow UCAS rules on score reporting.

Yes absolutely. I would not deviate from UCAS instructions without clear guidance from the schools themselves, and even then only with caution. My son sent his scores from the college board, so I think they have them all anyway—although he did this on his own without any supervision from me, so I did not see the process.

For people waiting for a response, a poster on The Student Room bulletin board said he got an offer from St. Andrews, MSc in Chemistry, submitted application through UCAS on 1 October.

How do they let you know? Do they email you or leave a message on the portal?

It is my understanding that they send information on the portal. So far, it looks like 2 chem acceptances for non- international students.

Then that means they’re accepting UK students first (makes sense), then they’ll come to the international crowd later. Maybe they let Scottish students know before the rest of the UK? Then UK? Then EU? I don’t know.

Has Brexit figured into admissions yet?

@SlimJim001, I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion! No, they don’t roll out the replies by domicile. I understand the temptation to try and read the tea leaves when you are waiting for a response, but there are just too many variables here.

Remember that each UK college/university and each department within that university, does things their own way, on their own timetable. The UK students who have already submitted applications have almost all also applied to Oxford or Cambridge (Oxbridge applications are due Oct 15; all the rest are January 15,). Thus, they are very strong applicants. And (unless I’ve missed it in this thread) we don’t know if any US students have applied for chemistry, so we don’t know if they have been notified. The responses will roll out in batches, by subject, for the next several months.

Brexit is not an admissions factor this year.

This waiting is killing me.

I know, @SlimJim001! but there is nothing for it, so go distract yourself :slight_smile:

Daughter applied to StAs and UGlasgow for IR (15Oct) and recvd Conditional (although technically Unconditional - they want AP Scores sent rather than self-reported and those had already been sent) from UGlasgow on 12Nov.

She is nervous too, but I just tell her to bury herself in schoolwork so that 1st Semester is strong. The only thing she has control over now is her grades. Same for you @SlimJim001 - focus on what you do have control over and leave the rest alone.

MSc Chemistry is post grad and would have no bearing on when they will release undergraduate decisions.

Undergrad would be BSc Chemistry or MChem.

Received unconditional this morning for a joint in management and sustainable development!! Applied direct app from US

1 Like

Congrats, @standrews24! You’re the first CCer of the season to have a result :slight_smile:

From your name, can we guess that you will be confirming your place?!

Congratulations @standrews24 ! How exciting! When did you apply? My son applied this week for Social Anthropology through the Common App.

applied at the end of September, and all the documents requested were accepted by mid october. Will be accepting offer soon this week!

I applied at the beginning of September, and I have heard absolutely nothing.

I wonder if the potential uk university strike that is suppose to start 11/25 will affect timing of offers??

Possibly- but they are so erratic at the best of times, it will be hard to know how much!

From my understanding, some departments have more striking personnel than others. So some departments will be delayed, others won’t. After the strike next week they’re doing work to order for the next 6 weeks, which means that they are supposed to refuse to work outside normal business hours and contractual obligations. I suspect that reviewing applications might fall to the bottom of the heap under a work to order environment so you’ll have to cultivate patience.