University of Vermont Early Decision/Early Action Fall 2023

There are very few consequences for smoking or drinking in the dorms at UVM, even in Wellness, unfortunately. My ds20 was in Wellness sophomore year and he said it’s just not enforced anywhere except in the sober living dorm. That dorm is for kids in recovery, runs in-house 12 step meetings, etc. —otherwise, it’s everywhere. He said the best way to ensure that you don’t have weed/alcohol in your personal room/living space is to be 100 percent honest on the roommate questionnaire and to attempt to find a like-minded roommate in advance on the Insta or Fb group for incoming freshmen. But that won’t keep it out of the dorm, just your room.

3 Likes

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking too. Just wanted to make sure she knew if there were different rules for different LCs.

1 Like

DS was deferred. Which was a surprise for him. He expected to get in. Will send in a latter and his first quarter grades.

Yes, my daughter was surprised as well.

My son applied for regular decision so I know it will be a while before he hears anything. His gf was deferred which surprised me because I know of another young lady that was accepted with similar stats.

Ah, so D23 applied and got in EA with a weighted gpa of 4.7 and 5 APs. She is OOS and undecided. UVM is her top choice. She did not get any scholarships and is a bit sad since it is so expensive. She’s now looking on line to find outside scholarships she can apply for. Any thoughts or suggestions?

(Her older sister, D18, was offered a good package from UVM, had full IB, but D23’s school doesn’t have IB so maybe that’s the difference? Or because she is undecided? Clark offered her $$ but she’s worried about crime in Worcester.)

I’m from the Worcester area. Clark isn’t in the best area of Worcester but read the crime statistics for on campus crime. It is very low from what I remember. True it is an urban campus but all urban campuses have a different feel. Honestly, I don’t read much or hear much of anything about crime at Clark.

5 Likes

It’s surprising she didn’t get anything with those stats. She should at least be getting the OOS grant? Have you called student financial services to verify her package? I would.

2 Likes

I am not a financial aid expert but have some exposure to it from running a nonprofit that grants college scholarships. You might want to take a look at your FAFSA SAR (Student Aid Report) and see what your EFC is. If you can, compare it to your other daughter’s EFC when she got her aid award. Financial aid is determined by the EFC. Is it possible your financial situation changed (improved)? If so, it might be that your older daughter’s EFC was lower, which would be why she got more aid. If your younger daughter’s EFC is higher and your financial situation is the same, it is possible a mistake was made in filling it out. That is really common in situations like this. If there were any changes in income due to Covid, you could make a request for them to reconsider due to special circumstances. You would need to provide them with proof of income loss. Anyway, just a few things to look into before you call Financial Aid since they will likely have you do all of that anyway before they can tell why she got no aid.

2 Likes

Thank you This is helpful D will call to ask for consideration depending on what she sees with other school offers. Thx for the suggestion!

Before she calls, make sure she has checked her portal really carefully as well for
Anything FA related. Has she let you look on the portal?

1 Like

Hi @hathora…does seem surprising that she didn’t get any scholarships…you got some good suggestions from other posters, but I also wanted to share the below, which was in an email we received from UVM’s Director of Student Financial Services after our child’s FAFSA was received (i don’t think we’ll get any need based aid so I wasn’t as timely with the FAFSA as many are)… I actually forwarded it to both of my kids to start researching options as well (my daughter is a freshman at BC and there’s NO merit aid there unless you’re one of the 18 students that earn the Gabelli full ride scholarship :open_mouth:). My child was not one of them! Anyway, maybe you’re daughter will find something worthwhile there.

" > To help fund their education, I encourage your student to apply for outside scholarships which are available from a wide variety of organizations, including through your local community organizations. Scholarship funds your student receives, do not need to be repaid. Learn more about potential scholarship resources, search websites, and how to avoid scams by viewing, The University of Vermont -- WebAuth"

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience and the info from UVM. Very helpful and she has already started looking for scholarships. She’s kind of.tired of writing essays though! She’s also waiting to hear from a number of other schools in the next month or so.

I’m aware of some students (Fall of 2022, UVM) who were told they had to go abroad first semester freshman year then returned to campus without on-campus housing. Question: is UVM still doing that and, if so, when does the student find out they need to go abroad? Is that in the acceptance offer? Thanks.

Did anyone here get a physical letter of acceptance in the mail? My daughter has not. She got a letter and brochure from the College of Education but it wasn’t a UVM acceptance letter. Every other acceptance email she’s gotten has been followed up with a letter and packet.

We got something from the College of Life Science & Agriculture

2 Likes

I have from arts and sciences. It was a letter and brochure

Nope. We received a form letter that didn’t provide any useful info–not even a confirmation of acceptance!

2 Likes

Same here

Yup! I did from the College of Arts and Sciences.