University of Vermont Early Decision/Early Action Fall 2023

What was it like?
We’re headed to admitted students day on 2/17. I can’t wait to experience UVM from this side of the line vs the generic tour last year.

2 Likes

We attended a reception in our city as opposed to the day on campus.

The evening began with appetizers and dessert. A nice touch.

The presentation was the usual bunch of PowerPoints — I’d love a school that decided to ditch PowerPoints! — and a good student panel. They answered loads of questions and shared videos students took from a GoPro, which gave a feel for the campus.

The presenter was personable and funny.

My 23 said UVM moved up the list.

We will visit campus in April. I’d love to hear anything you care to share after your visit in February!

I had already booked our hotel before learning UVM shuttles will go to the Doubletree. I probably won’t change the reservation, because a lakeside room costs less than the Doubletree does. I’m also curious about the lake and interested in renting bikes and taking to the trail. When we visit schools, I like to do a few off campus things with 23 so they get a feel for the city. Doing this led to one #1 school for 23 sliding down the list a bit, because the city was empty with run down houses.

2 Likes

We just got the email that housing is open, does anyone know if there is an advantage to picking early like at some schools? She is still waiting other decisions so she won’t be ready to choose for at least another month. I was also curious about the learning communities, it looks like you have to choose one, am I reading that right? Thanks!

1 Like

There’s no advantage to doing it early. As long as you complete it on time you’re good. She has to rank the learning communities in order of preference. She should receive something that has links for her to follow that helps her through this process. Here’s a link to the Res Life page that describes the learning communities:

2 Likes

One thing I’ve heard over and over and over on the UVM parents Facebook page and here is to take the word “choose” lightly. I think you rank your preferences for LCs, dorms, and roommates and don’t often get your top choices, sometimes even sophomore year too.

Please chime in here if your know more about this!

That’s the general consensus I’ve heard as well, although my ds20 was a sophomore transfer and got his first choice, so we were pleasantly surprised.

pretty sure you can’t submit it until you’ve paid your deposit.

1 Like

Has anyone applied (or had their kid apply to) the Liberal Arts Scholars Program? I have all the essays written out for the Social Science Scholars program, and I am really hoping to get in. Does anyone have thoughts or advice on it? I haven’t seen any discussion on the program yet.

1 Like

My ds did the Liberal Arts Scholar program and loved it. I think it is great for kids who like small classes- he loved his lasp classes and living together with people in that group made for an instant community. The classes sounded super interesting to me, and it can be hard to get the schedule you want as a freshman so it was nice to have half the schedule already filled out. When he did it lasp was all in living and learning which is all suites so more space and great location- I think that has changed though. I don’t really see a downside (unless you are on a very set trajectory for your major and don’t want to take any liberal arts type classes). Personally I think it is a gem of a program and UVM probably should promote it more!

1 Like

Thank you! I just submitted my application and I’m crossing my fingers now. It sounds like such a fantastic program and I’m excited to see if I get in. if you don’t mind me asking, was your ds able to keep the GPA to get into the honors college?

He was not interested in honors college, so I am not sure but I do think his gpa was high enough and I know some of his friends did move into honors college sophomore year.

1 Like

For admitted student day visits, has anyone found discounted UVM hotel rates anywhere?

1 Like

I have not. Is it helpful to know hotels in south Burlington tend to be cheaper and some offer breakfast? I discovered that recently. Hope that helps.

Hilton garden inn gave us they’re UVM discount if 10%. You have to call and ask for it. It was their local corporate discount. We got a two queen bed room for about $175 for the weekdays and $275 for the weekend days.

By the way, I’d suggest making your August reservations now. They will also be expensive but rooms with two beds sell out quickly. For that, Comfort Inn in South Burlington rate was $255. No UVM discount.

2 Likes

I’ve gotten decent rates at the Best Western Windjammer in S. Burlington as well. They have UVM and Saint Michael’s rates I believe. Clean rooms, decent breakfast, good location, free parking. We also really like the Delta Marriott in S. Burlington which is right across the street.

2 Likes

How many days do you stay? Just overnight?

We’re from California, which is a full day of travel on each end. We stayed 4 nights. I wish she would be close enough to home to stay only one night :sob:

Deleted

Does anyone know when the Liberal Arts Scholars decisions will be released? I applied and got a confirmation email Feb 14th, and the website says that if you submit you application before the 15th results will be out “about March 1st”. Have they been late in the past?

1 Like

Anyone else see change in financial aid portal. Son just looked and all aid and loans gone… letter of acceptance and scholarship still up.

You think they’re just rearranging things ?