University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

No chances of getting CS, thats what it mean to me, nothing else :frowning:

2 Likes

Same issue for us but success finally. My daughter was Admitted! oos, accepted into major - marine biology w/P&G scholarship. 3.97 uw, 4 year varsity soccer, leadership ECs + job. Proud alum mom!

3 Likes

It means not admitted to CS: Understanding your assigned major | Office of Admissions

1 Like

Yeah, that is a given. They state that on the acceptance note. However, I do see there are a lot of adjacent majors that are good options, so its not that bad.

1 Like

Yup, that is clear in the admission note. What are the options to pursue was what I was looking for. Found some adjacent computational majors that are reasonably good.

1 Like

Same, daughter was rejected. In-state, 3.8 unweighted, 7 AP classes, club and varsity volleyball all 4 years, team captain, great essay, psych major. Oh well…

1 Like

What other options you have ? If you really wish to do CS go for other colleges I would say, even UW Bothell will be a good option as it will be same UW CS degree. But if you are not so adamant about CS but about UW Seattle you can explore other majors.

3 Likes

Does anyone have a sense of the success rate for kids who enter as Pre-Science and then later apply for the CS program after matriculating?

[edit: Pre-College to Pre-Science oops]

Finally got the page to load, and … she got in! :tada:

In-state, 3.7 unweighted, 8 AP’s, intending to major in drama (so designated “pre-arts” for now), lots of decent theatre-related ECs (including Drama Club pres.).

2 Likes

My son applied for Foster Business School got accepted to Pre Major in the College of Arts and Sciences. Are all applicants to Foster will go to this pre major?

2 Likes

I dont think there are any chances

Son admitted to undeclared engineering with Purple and Gold scholarship.
4.0 uw
11 IBs
OOS

Some applicants are admitted direct to Foster, and some are admitted to a pre major. Students admitted to a pre major can apply to Foster later through the secondary admission process described here Undergraduate Admissions | Foster School of Business

My S21 OOS 1st choice CS was in same situation - check the letter as it pretty much says no chance:

Admitted with Purple & Gold to Alternate Major - Pre-sciences/undeclared.

Here’s exact quote from Understanding Your Assigned Major sheet re: CS/CSE that S21 received: “There are a limited number of spaces for students not admitted directly to CS or CSE as freshman. Therefore, we encourage you to pursue another major at UW, as it is unlikely that you will be admitted to CS or CSE at a later time.”

5 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

Sorry, replied to incorrect post

I would be interested in the same, but the more I read, the more I see its very unlikely.

4 Likes

I hope for business will not be as competitive to CS :thinking:

1 Like

Son admitted to Undeclared Engineering (applied for Mechanical Engineering)
3.95 UW (at application, 3.93 now) 35 ACT
school has no AP only honors, self-studied and took 2 AP tests (both 4’s)
CA resident
3k P&G scholarship (I recall older son got 6k in 2019)

My son got waitlisted for CS!!! Instate

3 Likes