University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

UW is better ranking than UT Austin! You’re lucky to have a coveted spot in a top 10!

If you are in-state for Austin I would definitely lean towards that due to cost (of school and of living) as both programs are amazing, and that is before considering you are Turing (honors housing, small classes, more interaction with profs.) I personally would only turn that down for idk, MIT or something. Congrats on both, you can’t really make a bad choice here, but Turing is super prestigious and I suspect considerably cheaper! Amazing work!

3 Likes

We are also undeclared engineering and my son is only interested in Bioengineering. Not sure how easy it is to get into the choice of engineering. My only concern is what if there is space constraint.

1 Like

OOS, DS23 got accepted into UWash Informatics major with a Purple and Gold scholarship of $4200 , 3.97 GPA, 4 yr varsity athelete and leadership ECs, realizing seeing the scholarships and acceptances she is getting from multiple schools that we should give more credit to her essays. She already committed to UT Austin Informatics and its much lower cost but incredibly happy about these acceptances.

Did she write the essays herself or took some help ? Are you from Texas?

Turing Scholars no doubt should be your first choice

2 Likes

Does your son have other good options where he is admitted direct to a Bioengineering major, or has a clear path to declaring the major? Bioengineering appears to be one of the more competitive majors for ENGRUD, so admission to that major is by no means guaranteed.

1 Like

What are your other choices over UW Pre-sceinces?

1 Like

So far he has UIUC direct to Bioengineering.

3 Likes

Berkeley L & S early admit (in-state.) Not regents though. Would have honestly have chosen that over UW anyway of course, due to cost and being in-state. Starting this year your spot in CS is saved/guaranteed at Cal, provided you successfully complete the the pre-reqs at the required GPA.

2 Likes

OSU is Oregon State University. Got WUE.

2 Likes

my D23, OOS (CA) admitted to her major (Env. Science), pretty comparative student it seems, but no P&G scholarship either. Not sure why.

2 Likes

We have same concerns of getting into Bioengineering from Engineering undeclared. Our current top choices are UW, Purdue, Pitt where only Pitt has direct to major with Honors college.

3 Likes

Daughter accepted to engineering. OOS, 4.0 unweighted GPA, top 5% of class, three classes taken as duel enrollment (two math and 1 CS) at a top engineering college, NMF, 35 ACT (one sitting), science olympiad captain (attended nationals 2 out of the past 3 years), cross-country and track all 4 years & captain this year.
She will be declining her offer this weekend to open the spot for others as she was accepted into other amazing engineering schools back in December and during the wait fell in love with two of those which she will chose between.
UW is beautiful and amazing. Great luck to all the students on their futures!

3 Likes

OOS accepted pre-major Arts and Sciences with P&G scholarship (4200 per year) but no direct admit to Foster. Unlikely to accept as the direct admit was more important than the scholarship.

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s a no for my son, he knew it was a stretch, OOS. Good luck to everyone!

2 Likes

Son got rejected for CS. OOS ,4.8 GPA,18 APs (with mostly 5s and some 4s so far) excellent ECs, research , Olympiad’s, science fair awards, good essays. He is very sad, his first rejection. UW was one of his top choice. Is it worth to appeal?

2 Likes

Appeal if there are considerable deltas from original application

2 Likes

Was he denied admission, or offered admission to pre-sciences?

If denied admission, it is technically possible to appeal, although chances are slim. Even if admitted on appeal, I don’t think they would offer CS… he could be offered pre-sciences. If he was already offered pre-sciences, he can’t appeal. Freshman guidelines for special admission by appeal | Office of Admissions

2 Likes