University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

He didn’t get in . He applied to CS but was denied and offered no other major.

Did they mention this anywhere on their website? Can you please copy paste that info if you can?
Thanks!

A pre-science student would be applying for a specific engineering major through the capacity constrained pathway: Current UW non-engineering students | UW College of Engineering

I don’t know how difficult it is to be admitted through this pathway, but since you would apply for a specific major, I would guess that this would be a relatively easier admit for majors which are not as constrained (for example, Materials or Industrial engineering), and a more difficult admit for higher demand majors.

Here’s some more information about application and enrollment requirements for the capacity constrained pathway. It looks challenging. Application and enrollment requirements for capacity-constrained admission | UW College of Engineering

1 Like

Would love to hear from current engineering students as to how easy or difficult it is to get in to the engineering major of choice? And how many were actually successful

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. If he would accept another major at the UW and it’s his dream school, I would appeal, appeal, appeal. Squeaky wheels often get the grease. My son just emailed another university where he had been admitted pre-business and asked for reconsideration for direct admit to business and he just got an email accepting him!

1 Like

Next to impossible is what I am told.

1 Like

I believe that what @KillKam meant was that there is no longer an appeal process for students who applied to CS and were offered pre-sciences. In the past, I guess, students could appeal this decision. You can see this on the guidelines: Freshman guidelines for special admission by appeal | Office of Admissions

Students admitted to the UW but not selected for direct entry to their first-choice major may not appeal. This includes the College of Engineering, the Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering, the Foster School of Business and all other first-choice majors.

2 Likes

Yes, Thanks @tamagotchi

1 Like

California

1 Like

These are the exact stats of my kids who got it. But CS was not their choice. WoW. Submit an appeal but don’t count on CS. That will be extremely hard, in my opinion. If he is hard-pressed on CS - Id suggest you ask him to hold on to his other choices. His stats seem excellent, but CS is tough everywhere. I am guessing he also applied to UCB - another tough CS choice, but I hope he gets there. UCB has a much better CS pgm. in my opinion.

2 Likes

Looks like the majority of both in-state and OOS didn’t get their choice of major. And also, what I am hearing is that it is extremely difficult to get your choice later on. Why is the university doing this? In addition, CS cannot appeal this year! Why would a student want to accept these conditions? It is a huge gamble, isn’t it? Or am I missing something?

CS is a very popular major. They need to limit the number of CS majors so that they are not overwhelmed and have the resources to educate their students.

A student not accepted to CS would be advised to explore other major options, or explore other schools where they may have been admitted to a CS major.

2 Likes

Chiming in to say it’s an enormous gamble. We live in WA and have watched the capacity constrained situation at UW for many years now. My husband is a double alum and we have a close family member who taught at UW school of engineering for many years, department chair and all that. My D21 applied and was admitted but chose to go somewhere else, my D24 will most likely not apply. It’s a great deal for in-state tuition, and that is the reason so many want their kids to attend, despite the capacity constrained majors and the general sense of crowding on campus. The other issue is that WA state population has grown exponentially in the last 20 years but UW hasn’t made big changes in terms of overall undergraduate population despite the demand on the system. Just my 2 cents, for what it’s worth.

3 Likes

But this seems to be the case for all science engineering and Business.

Here is my conspiracy theory :slight_smile:
Maybe this is a new trend. With a 45+% acceptance rate - I am sure the university has admitted far more than its acceptable quota. So they are not grating specific majors till such time they are confident that the students will accept - before they grant them the major. It is easier to track these than pre-allocate them prior. Now it becomes a first come, first serve basis. The sooner you accept - the sooner you get your major allocated till it gets full!?

Its a tough game to play. But I am sure there are enough in-state students to fill and delta.

1 Like

The population has surely exploded. I am in the tech field! It is crazy. Even if U.W. decide to go 100% in-state - they could still have the university filled with 3.95 UW GPA students!

2 Likes

Yes, I agree and this is the same at all highly rejective schools as well. Can fill their freshman class many times over with extremely qualified students. I’m sorry it’s a struggle, the kids we know at UW are happy, but several have taken more than 4 years to graduate (I think because they couldn’t get into classes they wanted in 4 years time). it would be worth talking to a current student about their experience.

1 Like

Cant agree more

I guess UW Bothell seems to be better option in that case too. I talked to some students and one of them was who transferred from UW Seattle to Bothell.

2 Likes

My D22 is a freshman at UW and loves it. I went to University of Pennsylvania so I don’t have alumni bias- so want to reiterate that everything you said about UW being a fantastic school are true. So glad my D22 chose it.

1 Like

We were told last year (don’t know if it is the same this year) that there is basically no chance to get into CS if you are not a direct admit.

3 Likes