University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

Same boat

3 Likes

Interesting approach with the CS! I think people who wrote more original essays were admitted. Furthermore, the essays should generally show evidence of the factors used in holistic review as listed on the UW homepage. Grades and supposedly “good essays” don’t tell the whole story.

1 Like

If admitted in prescience, what are the chances of getting in informatics or CS related majors in UW Seattle with prerequisites towards end of second year? Is it recommended?

Very slim. Informatics you might be able to, but CS is near impossible. The UW themselves highly advise against going to UW for pre-sciences if you are set on CS.

1 Like

I know someone with a 4.0 GPA, very good everything (extracurriculars, test scores, etc.) in-state who got rejected from CS at my school
it really shocked me. I didn’t see their essay though.

2 Likes

Bioengineering is a little bit selective. Roughly 60% admit rate.

This doesn’t prove anything as long as you are admitted directly to your major (as is the case for many capacity-constrained majors). Some engineering majors may have it a little tough (particularly bioengineering and mechanical engineering) and I wouldn’t advise going if you’re dead set on a specific engineering major.

UW is test optional I’m not sure why people still think test scores make a difference. The only way it may be considered is if they’re debating between accepting/rejecting (on the line).

That is not yield protection lol. A 3.8 UW is not yield protection worthy and UW admits plenty of students with perfect grades. They don’t yield protect at all.

Looking at your profile, its either you are OOS (very competitive since UW is a public state school) and/or you’re overestimating the quality of your essays. Remember essays are not just considered by quality but your fit for the school. Good research of the school should be done when writing essays. Also Letters of Recs are never considered at the UW and they don’t give a place to submit them so I’m not sure how you submitted any.

1 Like

No. You clear 1450 and submit score and you are head and shoulders above anyone without test scores. “Optional” usually means “probably oughta”.

Social politics dictates downplaying the standardized but many AOs have the score they are looking for long burned into their process.

This is not true at UW. They will not even look at your test scores, except in very rare cases. Test scores | Office of Admissions

Test-optional can mean different things at different schools. At the UW, you will not be disadvantaged for sending low scores or for not sending scores. In fact, when reading your application, the reviewers will not see your test scores, if provided. However, high test scores (1400 SAT/31 ACT or above) may be considered for a handful of students who may not otherwise be admitted.

What if I want my scores to be used in the review process? Can I request that you include them?

We recognize that some applicants would like their scores to be considered during the holistic review process. However, since access to exams was limited due to COVID-19, and in the interest of fairness to all applicants, we will not be using test scores at all during the holistic review.

4 Likes

That is not true. About half of the people I know who were admitted into CS didn’t submit test scores or didn’t have a 1400 or above. The UW clearly states they don’t use test scores, and it isn’t a “political thing” - they’ve used it quite minimally even before test optional was a thing as well.

Sure it is still an advantage in the end, but it is most likely that you were not rejected because of those test scores (or the lack thereof).

3 Likes

On the other hand I know many students with 1500+ scores (including applicants who shared their rejections on this forum) who got rejections. Test scores offer very minimal advantages.

I have a friend who is actively dating, but she doesn’t care what the guy looks like. She doesn’t care about appearance one bit. For her it is all about his sense of humor, and if he is kind to animals and the elderly. With those qualities, she doesn’t even think about the way the guy looks. She promises!

1 Like

How does that prove anything? I know other colleges do what you are talking about (especially ivy leagues) but anecdotally there is enough evidence that the UW actually carries out what they claim. If test scores really mattered as much as you claim, then clearly there shouldn’t be 1590 rejects on this forum with the exact same academic stats as 1530s who got admitted.

1 Like

As has been shown above, UW will not/does not consider test scores.

2 Likes

I would support a test score policy especially since I have high test scores, I’m not doing it out of political bias. I just know for a fact that the UW doesn’t consider test scores. Majority of times it only helps when they’re deciding whether to admit a 3.6 GPA student that they like or not.

:’) appreciate the honesty. I am OOS!

1 Like

Your stats are still good though. I’m just saying that is definitely not yield protection. Yield protection happens when they think you’re too qualified for their school. You seemed to be just about right for the UW, but OOS and essays may have been a limiting factor here. As an in-state student, I think you would have got in.

How do you know which major you were accepted for? I believe you had to declare to types of majors that you were interested in.