University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

My DD22 had an unweighted 4.0 and 15 AP classes (in state applicant) and did not get direct admit to Foster. We were disappointed.

The only explanation I could think of is that she did not have business-oriented extracurricular activities in high school and was not low-income, first-gen, etc. She ended up not attending UW.

Hmm
 that’s really crazy, but helpful info thank you. I’ll tell my son not to get his hopes too high. He cares more about getting into UW than Foster, but it sure w/b frosting on the cake.

1 Like

The official word is that they release in batches. While it might not happen that way in reality, I would at least not assume bad news if some people get acceptances while you’re still waiting to hear; it still could be that your kid will be in a different batch.

Why are you still here!

OMG u were so accurate
I just got the email saying that decisions will be rolling out starting march 1-15
Hoping for the best!

Just received email

We know you’re eager to learn your student’s University of Washington admission decision. We’re busy reviewing applications, and we are on track to release decisions during the freshman admission notification period, March 1–15.

What’s frustrating though is they won’t have financial aid decisions until late March/early April, per the email. Getting in is one thing, knowing whether you can afford it is another. I was really hoping to get all of the info at once.

5 Likes

Do they need mid year transcript?

Yes, I can understand why you are frustrated.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. There’s a webpage that lists all the changes you can make to your application and midyear grades aren’t on that list.

3 Likes

I feel like the decision comes so late it is detrimental to them. My son is OOS, and we’re taking campus visits the next few weeks to schools he has already been admitted to (and we have merit & financial aid from all these schools as well). We’re already looking at housing options at his two top choices . . .

With UW being so late, even if he’s admitted with a fantastic financial offer, we’d have to scramble to visit, etc. Seems like UW is going to capture area students where they are clearly the top choice, but miss out on some great students that would otherwise be very interested in attending (but what do I know).

2 Likes

I think you’re right and so many other schools use those quick decisions as a competitive advantage too. Many students will fall in love with another campus and school before they ever hear back from the UC schools, UW, or many schools in the east that give March decisions as well. The March Schools may counter that it takes time to even somewhat-thoroughly review the tens of thousands of applications they now receive. I have a feeling there are many many schools that don’t hesitate to very quickly accept most students that have a 3.8 or 3.9+ gpa (unweighted) like so many of the applicants waiting on all these March decisions. Sure hope it’s worth the wait for all!

3 Likes

Thanks. We live on the East Coast, and have really only one more chance to visit colleges: his Spring Break, which is the first week in April. By then, we may not even have a financial aid offer from UW.

I have encouraged him to apply wherever he wants, with the only caveat being that he can’t go if we can’t afford it. He has already gotten a number of acceptances and generous offers, but he remains very interested in Washington. I can’t really justify the cost of flying there, even if he is accepted, if we know he can’t go anyway because of the cost.

I agree that one of the advantages of EA processes is students (and parents) get antsy in waiting for the March schools. We all have a tendency to value the bird in hand, and begin to dismiss what only MIGHT happen.

I suppose most people eventually ends up where they are meant to be, but it seems a lot of potential mismatch takes place too.

1 Like

This is not meant to be passive aggressive, only a curious question: Does UW give much aid to OOS students? Whether merit or needs based? We are in state so that’s why I don’t know . . . I just thought I’d read many times that for OOS it’s often full price unless maybe one qualifies for an extra special privately funded scholarship?

1 Like

We have no idea if D23 will get into UW. As an in state student that would be the jackpot since it’s also her cheapest option by far. She applied to a bunch of other flagships to mitigate her risk.

I don’t know about the financial aid side, but I think many of the out of state students are offered a “purple & gold” scholarship to slightly offset the higher tuition. Only OOS are eligible for that scholarship (probably b/c many state schools understand the significant value of the in-state tuition).

Smaller and private schools seem to advertise a much higher “retail” tuition rate while not sure how many really pay the full amount. Then they give bigger merit and need-based scholarships. (e.g. advertise $50k tuition per year, but offer $20k+ in scholarships which may net a similar amount).

2 Likes

From looking at prior year threads, the Purple and Gold merit scholarship maxes out around $8k/year, with most students receiving much less than that (or none). Basically, it isn’t much, compared to the high COA for OOS students.

can you link the webpage you are mentioning about all the changes you can make to your applications? I couldn’t seem to find that page you are mentioning? thanks!

thank you! it looks like they really dont ask for updates or anything new

1 Like