University of Washington Class of 2027 Official Thread

Does University of Washington let you submit mid year report?

No they don’t.

2 Likes

So true. I think that the comfort of just making a decision and being done with all of it vs. remaining in the mental swamp of the unknown for weeks and months is so tempting. Like so many decisions I guess. Last year, my D22 skipped some school mid/late-April and we took a couple trips to finalize the decision. Some great dad and daughter hangout time too. I know that doesn’t work for everyone though.

1 Like

Where did she join finally ? I am waiting for a direct admit to CS. I am in state. Lets see whats in store for me. Got into UW Bothell though and they say All UW campuses will give UW degree with all the perks to all the huskies and UW Bothell even has an advantage of small classes of 30 students vs 300 in UW Seattle. Also Bothell students will have access to all internships and career fairs at UW Seattle, curriculum is same, professors are good. Not sure if UW Bothell would be worth joining if I don’t get into my dream school for CS which is UW Seattle.

I need to apologize ahead of time if I become obnoxious in this thread. After being pretty proud of myself for being chill for much of this process I am now succumbing to the anxiety and checking my watch and counting down the days till we get word. I am a parents whose daughter wasn’t certain she would be get into UW after being raised a Husky her whole life. So she cast a wider net. And has many lovely options. But oh my word is the UW a stellar value for in state students! It’s really sunk in for us now. But it’s also not the best fit for her otherwise. But oh the money . . .

Can’t decide whether we want her to get admitted or not and have the decision made for her!

3 Likes

I get it! We are only waiting on merit decision from Gonzaga, UW and Santa Clara (submitted RD as was deferred). The UW wait is a long one.

I know it is not the same but Western WA is another good option in our state.

I think my D has narrowed her choices to Gonzaga, UW, Univ of Portland and maybe Willamette.

Does your student have a favorite if UW is not an option?

1 Like

UW Bothell is a great option if you don’t mind not having the “full college experience”. I believe that is very over rated but seems like it is important to many.
UW Bothell’s campus looks really crisp/clean and new. They are also building some more residence halls.

2 Likes

Aw thanks for commiserating!

Other top choices are:

UMass Amherst
U of Rhode Island
U of Puget Sound

U of Minnesota has t been totally ruled out yet
. Nor has Colorado State

Yeah we are a little crazy but a lot went into this :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Of our three kids this is the one who MUST have the “full” traditional college experience (so no Western or UW Bothell)

It’s her dream and ours for her for many many reasons. Looooong story. And we are willing to pay for it if necessary.

I think Western (WA) could be quite underrated too. And what a steal of a deal at $6-9k tuition /year depending on gpa/scholarships. Our kids have several friends up there and they love it. They feel it’s full college experience, minus perhaps the bigger sporting events you get at a power 5 conf type school. A UW Bothell education along with the “brand” on the diploma vs. a WWU full college experience is a tough call for some of the local kids who want to stay in-state I think.

Counting the days in our house too
 thinking 3/10, but fingers still crossed for 3/3.

2 Likes

My older D said she would choose Western again if she had a do over albeit she may have applied differently and had other options.

2 Likes

My S21, OOS, was offered a $3k/yr Purple & Gold ($12k/total); he declined as he wasn’t offered 1st choice major: CS, which we found out later is very difficult for OOS. He was admitted via alternate major (Undeclared, Sciences).

Was this last year?

No, Fall 2021 - class that applied during pandemic, first class where SATs not looked at by most schools, Class of '21 grads had a tough year, applications skyrocketed, especially at UCs.

1 Like

For Fall 2021, notification was 3/12/21.

1 Like

I have a daughter at UMass (soph) and my son is strongly considering Minnesota (we’re going to the admitted students day on April 1). Good schools.

1 Like

Where did he chose to go ? Its difficult for in state too.

1 Like

Also sounds like a lot of the kids that go OOS end up back at Western (WWU) after a year or two, as it’s a pretty easy transfer process. OOS transferring back to UW have below a 20% acceptance rate I believe. I discussed this w/ my daughter when she was accepted at UW among other schools. You may only get one shot!

Interesting. Do you happen to know if it is easier to transfer from another in state public to UW?

1 Like

Hmmm this is very good info to have! Thank you!