University of Wisconsin Deferral Chat 2023

Official chat for those who were deferred in December and are now waiting to hear back

We out here

The end of March will come sooner than you think, my friend.

Hi @bernzzz22 good idea to have a group to wait with. @AntiInfomercials I hope you’re right and March goes fast!

The student center has been down all day Last year deferred/regular decisions started on March 16th.

did anybody see any change in the Portal?? Like financial aid?

@AAA124555 Can’t get in right now, will keep checking.

for us it does not show the financial aid yet

Cannot load into the portal, anybody else?

Did they say they would release decisions “by the end of March” last year too?

One change noticed in the portal today, the mid year grade report section has now disappeared. Did it disappear for others too?

Yeah it’s gone for me.

Anybody any idea what percent of the deferrals from EA do get accepted in Wisconsin?

The only thing I’ve ever been told is that getting deferred is like a death sentence. Get your appeals ready.

@AntiInfomercials are you saying this for Wisconsin or for all colleges?

Deferrals for Madison*. But I wouldn’t give up hope just yet.

may be some senior member like @JBStillFlying can give some more information on what are usually the chances for deferrals at Wisconsin

Sorry - I simply don’t know. The deferred pool might have different chances every year, depending on the strength of the regular pool. It will also depend on which program of study the applicant was deferred from. Some are going to be easier to be accepted to after deferral than others.

Can anyone try to tell me my chances?

I was deferred, and am out of state. I have a unweighted 3.833 overall GPA and got a unweighted 3.8 last semester (Weighted 4.6). 1250 on SAT (640M 610R&W) and 1280 combined (640 in each). I know this is low. I wrote a letter saying Madison was my top choice and I would enroll if accepted. Is there anything more I can do?

Deferrals for Madison aren’t a “death sentence”. They completely review your whole application as if you hadn’t even applied for Early Action. UW Madison is just a very selective school and being deferred doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get in even if you have good mid year grades. Your letters of recommendation and essays are very important to them. That’s why no matter how impressive the statistics and EC’s that you have if they don’t feel you’d fit in as a student there, they reject you. This is why Madison is so difficult to track, you can’t pin point their decisions.