University of Wisconsin Early Action Fall 2023

My son got deferred and requested for mid term grades. He had a strong mid term but not sure how could help.

Daughter in state, 3.9/4.4W, lots of AP/IB classes, 11 varsity letters, all state level recognition in two of the sports, summer job as a caddie/golf club worker for three years, internship program at the high school/ no test: accepted as pre business.

She got accepted direct admit at all other business schools. Carlson/Krannert/Fisher but this is way cheaper and she is a math nerd, so even if she gets docked somehow in business, majoring in econ or psyche or both will be fine imo. I will admit, she was pissed that she was not direct into business, but her tune was changing throughout the night as she saw all the deferrals from her school.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me if there is any point to filling out the merit application. We are OOS and have no financial need (did not do a FAFSA). She is accepted to L&S. Should we just hope for an automatic consideration scholarship (one of the 10 for OOS) or apply to the HUB scholarships as well?

1 Like

Can anyone tell me if those selected for Honors in L&S are really not notified until late March or is it rolling based on when you apply?

2 Likes

What major?

1 Like

Son denied OOS-NY. We knew it was a reach, but were hopeful since he got into Ohio State. Congratulations to all those admitted!

1 Like

Bad news/good news for my son.

Denied
OOS (Michigan resident)
3.9 UW
Test optional
NHS Presidents, lots of ECs
AP’s Honors
Varsity Athlete

Now the AWESOME news;
accepted to University of Michigan, his first choice with UW a close second, so all is well:)

CONGRATS to all those admitted, and to deferred, good luck! Fingers crossed for you.

11 Likes

Denied
OOS female (NY)
34 ACT with 36 in reading
96.7/100
7 AP/dual enrollment and the rest honors
2 sport varsity athlete
other good ecs
Applied for English major

Supposedly OOS merit and a Wisconsin is very rare.

3 Likes

*aid

I was just deferred
 disappointing because Madison is one of my top schools and I was hoping for some merit aid.
Do you think they do yield protection? Here are my stats:

OOS
3.92 uw/4.6 w gpa
13 aps, 4 dual enrollment (5s on all ap tests but one)
1590 sat
National Merit SF
AP Scholar
NSLIY
1000+ service hours
Several good ecs, paid internships

I plan to send in my 1st semester grades (all As) and update that I was a US Presidential Scholar Nominee (top 5000 of 3.6 mil graduating seniors in US). Do you think I have a chance?

Read the scholarships kid could apply for. They are very specific criteria. If he/she qualifies, give it a shot. If not, nothing to really apply for
 they are very specific, based on major, parental occupation, active in a specific club, etc. you will see when you go to Wish

There are hundreds of them! I sampled a few and they seem to be instate or favor those with need. I was wondering if anyone knew of ones without these requirements.

1 Like

We followed the major, state, etc filtering logic and came up w 0. Does the portal not do the filtering for you? It did 2 years ago. No tricks though, they are all in Wish. Good luck! #gobadgers

2 Likes

Wow. I’m shocked that you were deferred: I can’t believe how selective Madison is getting! I looked into this at one point and read that they do NOT yield-protect the way private schools do, although sorry, I can’t recall the source.

I have to think that your chances of RD acceptance are really good. However, understand that merit aid is really stingy unless you are an URM. They don’t need to ‘pay’ high-stats OOS kids to come, so why would they?

thanks-- the filtering seems to be limited to “incoming first-year” or searching for a specific scholarship title. I will see if D has access to a better search feature in her portal.

1 Like

Did accepted students receive financial aid notification along with acceptance? Clicking on the FA tab on my son’s portal brings the message: “No financial aid information available.” Will decisions come later, or is there a problem I need to clear up?

Thank you.

My daughter’s acceptance letter included a scholarship award but from what I am seeing here, that may be rare. I am really not sure at this point.

2 Likes

My son is a current freshman. They over admitted the last two years. He can’t even get campus housing next year. They most likely deferred a lot more students this year to see how the numbers play out.

2 Likes

Literally shocked you were not admitted.

3 Likes