University of Wisconsin Early Action Fall 2023

I don’t think it was over admission so much as surprisingly higher yield. The school ticks so many boxes for lots of kids and it has been “discovered” in a big way by west coast students

4 Likes

Yes exactly. My kid is a senior from OOS. Yield and class size has hit a record each year since he started. So they need to re-examine how the admit process goes. I think OOS admits from certain states/metros are going to be extra rough. Like MN, Illinois, NY, California.

Was just on campus with my kid that was just admitted and fell in love all over again. It really is a fabulous idyllic campus with amazing academics. And everyone there has been super friendly and welcoming.

3 Likes

This is shaping up to be the case at many colleges this year. I don’t have “data” and am too lazy to compile it, but I see a trend. Especially at OOS flagships, especially Engineering/CS majors. I’m glad my twins23 each a good option in hand now, but I doubt they will have the options they would have had pre-COVID.
(applying from the Bay Area, and NOT the super rich part where OOS colleges actually visit and recruit from. Test-blind at the UCs are awful for top CA students so they apply elsewhere.)

4 Likes

Illinois here…I have twins who were each deferred. I am an alum and they have spent so much time on campus growing up with sports camps, etc. and it’s been their dream. We are still in shock.

1 Like

Same here. Have a daughter there. Just a great place and school. I love the “big little city” vibes. Intimate but full of choices for food, culture, campus resources.

Deferred. In state. Any ideas on how to get in once deferred? Any tips?

1 Like

Son was denied. 3.9 UW at a very competitive prep school, OOS, we knew it would be stretch, but still very disappointed

3 Likes

D accepted to neurobiology major. From Bay Area/CA. GPA 3.75/4.5. Good ECs but test optional. Great essays

2 Likes

OOS here admitted. Any idea when Admitted Students day(s) are? I see the tour schedules are back up on the website today but not specifically for accepted.

2 Likes

Admitted as an OOS student to the School of Education with a full ride (I was awarded the SoEd Dean’s Excellence Scholarship which is 25k/yr).

6 Likes

Any one know anything about financial aid….

It should be in the financial aid section of your Student Center.

Mine was updated ~12 hours later.

1 Like

Commonly accepted info is that UW does not yield protect. However, it’s difficult to know what really goes on.

2 Likes

anyone know the EA stats? #applied, #accepted, #deferred? Just curious. Seems like a pretty brutal year basically everywhere.

1 Like

Daughter deferred - she applied to CALS - anyone know what they are looking for in terms of more documentation? LOCI? Recs? It’s her dream school and dream program

My in state daughter was deferred last year and was admitted during regular admission. (and loves it here) Once she was deferred she immediately wrote a letter of continued interest and mentioned things she’d done since applying. Don’t rehash what was already presented in the original application, include new thing/reasons why they should admit. Good luck!

3 Likes

Damn…sorry to hear that, my daughter v similar for RD application for English major.

1 Like

Fall grades. Test if good.

OOS here too and having looked through the merit opportunities, we are not even nothing to apply. Most are focused on need or under represented communities. And they are small $$ anyway.

2 Likes