University of Wisconsin Early Action Fall 2023

Son denied, 94.3 GPA, 33 ACT OOS very surprised, Navaince & Guidance from his school showed as fit/safety. Congrats to all admitted!

OOS (Ohio) daughter deferred. Nuclear Engineering. 3.9 GPA, 34 ACT, good ECs, ect. Scoir showed it as a likely admit. Of her classmates, 5 deferred, 1 admit, and 1 deny. Last year, same school, 5 deferred, 2 admits. Of the 5 deferred, 2 ultimately denied, 1 admitted and other 2 not updated (probable deny?). So perhaps this year not so different from last?

My daughter wants to write a letter as well, but we can’t find the name of the specific admissions counselor for our region (and our guidance counselor wasn’t able to either). Did you send letter to a specific person or just to admissions in general?

1 Like

Have they denied anyone or only deferred?

1 Like

D23 deferred. Bio, OOS, 4.0UW/4.6W, 16 AP/H, editor-in-chief, founded two large clubs, varsity, part-time job, city volunteer award.

Does anyone know if we’re supposed to enter our LOCI into the comment section in the mid-year grades form?

Definitely have denied people, my son’s friends denied.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. Especially being deferred

Question
does everyone else who was admitted have the mid-year grades link in the student center/Admissions tile? When I click on it, the wording states that all freshman applicants are asked to report mid-year grades. There is nothing in my to-do list
yet.

I have the same for an admitted OOS . I assume we will need to report midyear grades and final year grades-self report?

I feel like she just emailed it to admissions and they said they’d put it in her file. If I remember correctly our HS didn’t have a specific admissions person. I’d probably have her email and then follow up with a phone call to make sure it’s there.

1 Like

I don’t know what is in D’s portal but her grades were reported by her school through the common app and downloaded by UW. If I remember correctly, her school has a “final grade report form” so only the school student commit to get their final grades, but it is still done by the HS counselor.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s right-thank you for your reply. Now that I think of it, the HS asked that they be notified which schools require midterm grades so they can send, and they report through Naviance. Will make sure D23 does this.
Stats
OOS-FL
admit CALS
12 APs
3.93 UW
1320 SAT
46/650 rank
Varsity LAX
Borlaug Scholar (CALS high school program food insecurity)
lots of community volunteer-environment, food pantry
University of Tampa-Microplastics Lab/field volunteer
Starbucks barista 12 hours per week

Accepted-UMass Amherst, Honors College, merit 16K
Accepted Univ Minn 15k merit
Accepted Univ Pittsburgh no merit

1 Like

Deferred.
35 ACT superscored, 34 composite
3.85/3.9 GPA
Taken all APs offered
Captain tennis team
Leadership in lots of clubs/organizations
Was sad but great news - accepted to Michigan and Maryland

2 Likes

Thanks!

Does anyone know if you’re able to change your majors if deferred. For example since business is very hard to get into, can I switch it to L&S?

My son was wondering the same thing. Hopefully someone can provide insight!

3 Likes

An email just came out on what to do next.

1 Like

Yup, just got the email as well. We ended up placing the LOCI inside the form’s comment block since the direction for it says, “you may provide any significant additions to your extracurricular involvement.” So my D23 just wrote about all the stuff she did since Nov.

state of residency? Major/College applied to?

1 Like

That profile reads more like someone who gets deferred from Penn, not Wisconsin. If that set of stats got deferred, it’s likely a “this person won’t be coming here” calculation, if not actual yield protection. The rigor of courseload, SAT scores and AP scores reflected here are all .5 percentile stuff and well out of line with the average (even out of state) Wisconsin admit. 13 AP courses?