University of Wisconsin, Madison EA Class of 2025

Yes, found that curious too yet am reserving judgment.

Perhaps people need to be cautious … before a DA admit looks too down on a pre-business they should pause.

If read this year’s thread and last, there are stellar kids - 35 ACT, crazy APs and ECs, who were put pre-business and have read some theories why … who knows if accurate.

There are also different admission counselors having varying degrees of days and may read an essay in a way that differs from another counselor … splitting hairs here for some … any given day thought can apply … we are dealing with human evaluators.

Hopefully there isn’t absurd arrogance of DA vs pre business …

2 Likes

It’s funny. I read her comment as she was leaning toward IU but some of her friends have gotten in to pre business at UW and now that is why she is swaying toward that school.

I guess it came off arrogant. As a parent can you explain what pre business is compared to direct admit. Back in the 80’s we didn’t declare majors until junior year. Half the time I don’t know what she is even talking about. Today she told me she is taking a gap year!

1 Like

Are there any good threads about dorms? My son does not want to be in a “party” dorm.

There are some good youtube videos on Wisco dorms

1 Like

Anyone know if there was an increase in deferred applicants this year? I was deferred. Thanks!

Stay away from Witte and Sellery. Those are the two large dorm towers and have a reputation for being very fun. The quieter dorms tend to be in the Lakeshore area but those can be pretty out of the way.

2 Likes

My son lived in Witte his Freshman year and loved it because he met so many people. The Lakeshore dorms are definitely quieter but somewhat removed. Depends on what experience you want! My D is deferred, so just waiting to hear! Good luck to all!

3 Likes

Does anyone know about the Stateside? Interested in the pros and cons of university dorms vs. private dorms

I know of a few of my sons friends who lived in Stateside freshman year. It was beautiful and new at the time (2013) and right on State Street near the Capital. The downside is that while mostly college students, they missed out on all the new student get togethers and the camaraderie that comes with living in a dorm.

1 Like

Has anyone heard back regarding scholarships for the School of Engineering?

1 Like

Nothing yet.

I haven’t heard. My son was deferred as well. I would love it if they wouldn’t wait until the end of March to let the deferred students know.

3 Likes

100% agree. Especially when a lot of us were waiting on acceptances to go visit the campus, even if just for a self-tour. If we can’t visit, then it’s not likely he’ll want to go there.

Deferred students at every university all get put in the regular decision group. It’s kind of the only way they do that. I know my D was deferred by three, denied by 1 and accepted by 3 of her early action, ed1, and ed2 school. Sucks but everyone is in the same boat. Good luck to your child.

Does Wisconsin give scholarships, the website is confusing.

1 Like

Anyone know about the Living Learning Communities - got the mailing with the handouts about them/dorms today and it is kind of scant information?! Where would a kind of nerdy intellectual kid who is into math, physics and STEM find his people?

2 Likes

@eliorsinclair take a look at Chadbourne Residential College. Centrally located, has its own smaller dining hall, and big enough that you can meet lots of students.

Got in as pre-business. Do they ever change pre-business to direct admit to business? Is there anything that can be done at this point? I’m afraid this might be a deal breaker…

It is confusing but I do think they do give small scholarships.

1 Like