University studies and worried about major choice

<p>I have no idea what I want to do. I am interested in biology and becoming a doctor but I am not THAT great at science ( i got Bs in honors science courses in high school I didn't try that hard though) but I find it interesting. Will I crash and Burn if I chose biological sciences? </p>

<p>1) how does general Ed work at vtech?</p>

<p>2) if I'm university studies what classes should I take in what order and will it be hard to switch into biological sciences after a year university studies?</p>

<p>3) how hard is biological sciences? Do you suggest any other major ?</p>

<p>4) what classes are required for accounting ?</p>

<p>I really don't know what I want to do. I am not that great at math , hate history, hate English, I am at a point where I feel like I am not interested in anything !</p>

<p>Advice please</p>

<p>If you take the entry level Biology classes at VT, which count toward your core requirements anyway, you should be able to see if that is an area of study you want to pursue. Biology at Tech isn’t easy. I have had more than a few former students who went in to the school thinking they were going to major in something science related (bio or chem) and switched their train of thought soon after the intro biology or chemistry classes. The problem is they had to add a summer or two and/or a year longer bc of switching the major late in the game, so you are wise to think ahead. The good news is, there are a lot of majors that involve science at VT but aren’t a sole Bio major.</p>

<p>Have you looked into the Natural Resources and Environment college at Tech? There you would have classes in some of the sciences but your other major classes would be more diverse. Depending on what your interests are, there are some really intriguing options. The CNRE is a very, very strong program at the school and is well regarded nationally. The Agriculture and Life Sciences College is pretty awesome, too, and has some majors that may fit your needs: Biological Systems Engineering, Crop and Soil Environmental Science. Take a peek at these two colleges and see if there is anything you might find that suits you. Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>[College</a> of Natural Resources and Environment | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://cnre.vt.edu/cnr_webpages/majors.htm]College”>http://cnre.vt.edu/cnr_webpages/majors.htm)</p>

<p>[Academic</a> Departments - College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.cals.vt.edu/departments/]Academic”>http://www.cals.vt.edu/departments/)</p>

<p>I am not interested in life science very much but thank you for the advice. I’ve taken an environmental science class and though I excelled, I hated it. Is biology really that hard at Virginia tech? Now I’m even more worried</p>

<p>I am not bad in these subjects but I don’t have very good study habits. I never really studied hard for these classes. Will it be better in college?</p>

<p>Is it better for me to declare bio science now and switch out later if I don’t like it. Or remain university studies and explore different majors. The thing with the second alternative is that I want to make sure I am taking the necessary classes I should be taking just in case I want to do biology. I dont want to fall behind if I do decide bio is right for me</p>

<p>Biology and Chem intro classes and their labs (Fall and Spring semester) should give you somewhat of an idea if the material is too hard or interesting enough to stay with this as a major. I didn’t mean to suggest that Bio is too hard at Tech, but I think you will find that most college courses are pretty challenging as compared to high school. If biology is what interests you the most, I wouldn’t toss it aside before you gave it your best effort. The kids I knew hit Cell and Molecular Bio and Genetics classes sophomore year and they switched out. Have you looked at the biology major website and read the course descriptions and requirements for those majoring in Biology? That may help you see what lies in front of you in terms of classes and requirements. Hope this helps.</p>