UVA Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

Waitlisted, In-State.

-4.3 gpa
-Test optional
-All AP/IB since Sophomore year
-Varsity Cheer
-Varsity Field Hockey
-Four political internships (2 with Shelley Simonds of Newport News, 1 with the Democratic Party of VA, and 1 with NY-21)
-Class President three years
-Mayors Youth Commission
-Founder of my school’s YDSA chapter
-Model UN
-National Honor Society
-Math Honor Society
-Top 5% of graduating class

Kind of confused lol, but don’t really care because I just got accepted to Wellesley with 46k a year. Will be rejecting my spot on the waitlist, so more power to everyone else who was waitlisted!

11 Likes

Wow!!! You go girl!! What amazing credentials! I can tell you are on to do great things!

2 Likes

Thank you, I am so excited <3

2 Likes

Like I said, how do we evaluate students’ academic achievement and readiness for college given different levels of HS program and inflated GPA? Some kind of national standard test is necessary. Making tests optional really confuses students, overloads AO’s, and unfairly rejects many hard-working applicants. I am not saying the current SAT/ACT is perfect, but at least it gives you a yardstick.

8 Likes

OOS D22 is accepted at the RD. Congratulations to all the admitted students and best of luck to all applicants! It is a tough year, to say the least and a total emotional rollercoaster.

6 Likes

I agree, some kind of national test can help with weeding out schools with grade inflation. But, (and this is coming from someone whose child submitted test scores and probably was a casualty of test optional applicants’ admissions), I have to admit that we live in an affluent neighborhood with access to very good schools and could afford a tutor for the test. A national test doesn’t level the playing field for those not as fortunate to have access to these things.

I definitely don’t have a good answer because I have a feeling that pre-test optional, my kid would have been admitted to UVA. And she absolutely worked hard enough to have been admitted. All I can say is that it’s a frustrating situation with no easy answers.

4 Likes

Agree completely. Or don’t take the AP exam and are given points for high rigor and their A even though who knows whether they mastered the material. My kids had to take the exam, sink or swim. A lot of high schools don’t require it but admissions offices treat them the same. Many schools don’t even look at your AP scores even if you send them. Doesn’t seem fair to me.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, nothing really levels the playing field between those with resources and those without. The same correlation to income occurs for grades, extracurriculars, letters of recommendation, pretty much any factor in acceptance, as in standardized test scores.

4 Likes

Wow…. Congrats to your daughter. She is a unicorn as one of the 83!

3 Likes

DS waitlisted–“we will let you know on 5/1 but fill out continued interest form . . .”
Unweighted GPA-4.47
ACT-perfect 36 on 2nd try; got 35 on 1st try
SAT-1560 (took once)
9 AP classes
8 Honors classes
4 year of French Honors
VP of Nat’l Honor society
Natl Merit commended scholar
Natl African American Recognition Scholar
Received invitation to apply for U.S. Presidential Scholars Program
4 year Varsity swim team (Captain senior year)

Not sure I get it but clearly UVA’s loss. Not sure about the inflated GPA’s. AP Chem and AP Calc BC were probably his 2 hardest classes our HS offers.

2 Likes

Starting to think they tossed all the applications up in the air and the ones that landed face up got in! :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I just shared this with my AA son who was also waitlisted. Your son has a higher SAT score than my DS does but my son did not go TO and his scores were in the middle 50 percentile. Both have similar gpas.
My son is taking the most rigorous classes in his public Virginia HS and he applied EA.

Worth noting that the number of accepted Black kids has not gone up in years and the enrollment rate for this group is below average. UVA may be yield protecting because of this fact. Who knows the reason. Many other schools have accepted my son and he has been offered lots of merit too. UVA was not our first choice and I do not love the location nor size of the school for him so we are moving on.

Good luck to you and your DS. I’m sure he will end up at a school that is perfect for him.

7 Likes

100% UVA’s loss.
Congrats on all of his remarkable achievements. You must be so proud.
He is going to do great things, wherever he lands.

3 Likes

Even though my kids had great test scores I agree with the test optional policy. I have seen families pay for private tutors though out high school to prepare their kids for the tests. Many students can’t afford these tutors but have worked very hard in high school to prepare for college so don’t think one test should be a determining factor.

3 Likes

Congratulations on acceptance but they are not accepted into a major, they have to apply in their second year.

Hard to imagine your son was waitlisted with such remarkable achievements! It’s more and more becoming a game that we don’t know the rule. I certainly would not recommend my son to apply for UVA in the future.

So many people are posting that their student had high test scores, great grades and ECs. The issue is that most people applying also have these. I attended an admission session at an IVY league college that said everyone applying has these so what makes them stand out is the essays. Between the common app essay and the supplemental essays, UVA can get an idea of how the students thinks and what is important to them. Of course grades and test scores(if submitted) are looked at but even Dean J has said that a great essay could sway from a maybe to a yes. The essay should also be written by the student in their own words. I have also seen people complain that they paid a college admission consultant to help them so how could their essay not be great. I think that is the problem, the essay was probably very professional but not in the words of a high school student. Dean J has said they can tell if the student had “too” much help with it. I remember reading my son’s essay and giving him a suggestion and his response was “what 18 year old talks like that?” I stopped giving suggestions and let him use his words. So, yes the student has to show that they can succeed at advanced classes to ensure that they can handle the classes at UVA but the process is holistic so just stating test scores and GPAs isn’t everything in the admission process. This is exactly why someone with a 4.1 will be admitted and someone with a 4.5 will not. UVA is also one of the top public universities and so top students across the country that are applying to T10 schools also apply to UVA as a backup and that has made it very competitive and raised applications to 50,000. This has made it very hard for admission officers and I appreciate all that Dean J does to try to help students and parent through the process.

14 Likes

You’re not wrong. We just disagree about holistic admissions, and, I suspect, about test-optional. An AO cannot “holistically” assess a student via the 20 minutes that is allotted when there are 50,000 applications. And that a 4.1 gets in over a 4.5 from the same school is precisely the problem.

One admissions system is primarily objective (not perfect, but objective), transparent, and based on a 4-year track record. The other is mostly subjective, ambiguous, school-dependent, and relies on human beings to determine intellectual & personality attributes, fit, passion, uniqueness, etc. in a few minutes. It’s hubris, frankly. The entire process is about engineering a class, not about selecting the students with the highest merit over four years or potential for the next four. That initiative has been wrapped in the “holistic” buzzword for political & PR cover. Similarly, at this point, test-optional has little connection to Covid.

I also find the idea that a 250-word “essay” is now more important in admissions than, say, 5s on all of the English APs, to be crazy. That standardized tests have flaws should mean that those flaws are addressed, where possible. It shouldn’t mean that we replace one flawed system with a more flawed one. Finally, spots aren’t being filled this year because UVA is a T10 safety. That has always been the case. Spots are more competitive among high stats students because test-optional has taken many of the old slots away from the high stats students.

In short, between test-optional and devaluing objective metrics, Dean J and admissions administrators, nationwide, have made it harder on themselves, harder on parents, and harder on students. I have no sympathy for colleges who largely created their own admissions mess, though I appreciate UVA’s transparency about it.

13 Likes

Objective evaluation as a part of holistic likely still weighs heavily in admissions. I don’t agree with test optional unless the student had limited access and other barriers to testing, but I do see some very “surprising” issues that arise in our school and others where kids can and do take remarkably easier courses and get 0.3-0.5 higher weighted GPA than another who takes the vast majority of the hard courses, and UVA and other schools typically favor the rigor with the lower gpa, other than at the top tier of the class where that gpa level seems to always be accepted(though that top group seems to always have high enough rigor too). Also, many schools print the AP scores on the transcript, as the AP test is mandatory if you take the class. Part of the gpa issues arise from unusual weighting, such as all honors and AP are only 0.5 boost, most fine arts classes have no boost(adversely affects gpa for kids who commit to 4 years of fine arts during their study hall). These types of discrepancies are seen in our area in private and public schools–so to me, seeing the actual transcript and comparing to classmates is far more objective and “fair” than comparing GPA. It would be great to be a fly on the wall–I really do hope that Dean J and other AOs are using all the objective measures they can in this process.

2 Likes

I think it is incredibly naive of schools to assume that essays are honestly written, or that they can accurately distinguish which ones are written by the students. this is so easy to manipulate, either by getting a writing tutor or just making stuff up. at least when a kid gets tutored for the SAT he still has to work at it and master the material, and it is still possible for kids from less privileged environments to find affordable study guides. this emphasis on the essay is really questionable. if you want to know the kids, interview them.

10 Likes