UW Madison Class of 2027 Official Thread

I do a little admissions counseling in the midwest and just had a kid graduate from UW Madison, and I haven’t seen them publish firm numbers until the first week of fall semester over the past 5-6 years anyway. Which makes sense, I think at a big school like this especially things can shift through the summer.

I do believe how this year went down with admissions at UW Madison was different. They announced it was going to be different to shrink the class size. I will be surprised if in state vs. out of state percentages of enrolled students are significantly different from last year. In state has snuck down a bit over the past few years. The university has been at odds with a state legislature for funding like many public universities.

2 Likes

Complain to the Legislature. They agreed to a cap on instate given flat funding and tuition for a decade. No free lunch.
Acceptance and yield data from last year.

Wonder if waitlist is closed. Last wave had until 5/12 to respond. Have not heard of anyone asked off waitlist since date passed.

1 Like

I mean that may very well be, but u gave inaccurate information, and ur in a forum about UW-Madison so for people reading ur post, that can influence there decision. According to USNews, Niche, and any other large ranking system, UWM has always ranked higher than UMN-TC for most fields of psychology.

My son got his acceptance today for CS, college of Land S

1 Like

My kids (twins) both got in off the waitlist today.

1 Like

What major?

I got off the Waitlist today for MechE (OOS, 1440 Sat, 4.15W)!

I’m not sure if I want to go though, this late in the year. Any advice is appreciated (I got into OSU)

Son OOS accepted to electrical engineering from waitlist today.

OOS accepted from waitlisted. His preferred major is Computer Sciences.

How does Madison major declaring work? I heard that everyone can choose to major CS after getting into the school? Do they guarantee everyone applies get in?

sounds like they are taking every single OOS kid off the waitlist to get more $$ and leaving all the in state kids on the waitlist. Kinda disappointing from the flagship public state university, but money talks I guess.

1 Like

Sounds just like university of California system :

I have a kid that just graduated in CS. You need to successfully finish the initial CS course sequences to be able to declare the major. Most declare sophomore year. There is some natural attrition and major changes once students start taking classes, but well prepared students typically do not have any issue.

Again, I will surprised if OOS vs in state percentages end up substantially different this year. Having watched the past 5-6 years OOS yield is up and I think they were way more conservative with those admissions this year to shrink class size. The fact that they can house these students kind of indicates they planned it this way.

OSU is very good for engineering, and Columbus is a nice city. No need to reconsider unless UW is less expensive.

2 Likes

Both undecided liberal arts

Son got in last night for PreBuisness. He had applied direct admit. From San Diego. Big decision for him. Currrently going to St. Andrews in Scotland for Economics and as a brit, my heart will be broken if he changes his mind. Bit of a risk going “pre-business.” But he LOVED the campus, people and Madison so suspect he will break my heart and accept.

2 Likes

Here is an interesting article on this from earlier this year.

2 Likes

My OOS son just got in off the waitlist as a Pre Business major. He has a week to decide, but since we don’t even know the financial aid (will come in 3 biz days) and haven’t yet visited the campus, not sure we can really assess this in that amount of time. He has committed to Kelley School at IU already. Wasn’t expecting to get off the waitlist. He’d have to apply to the School of Business after/during his freshmen year. Meanwhile, he’s a direct admit to Kelley.

My .02 cents. You may or may not be aware, but Kelley is generally higher ranked than Wisco for undergrad B schools. Kelley is legit one of the best undergrad B schools in the country.

Wisco is the higher ranked overall institution, but not sure why your son would pivot to Wisco unless he really had his heart set on it or unless he was not really all-in on IU (does not sound like that is the case). You probably have a lot of wheels in motion at IU. And of course, he is direct admit to Kelley and not to Wisco B school.

I have not heard of Wisco giving much $$ to OOS students, so I wouldn’t necessarily count on that moving the needle. Anyway, my advice would be to stick with Kelley—great school and great campus. Everyone I know at Wisco loves it, but same for IU. Good luck.

3 Likes

We had same situation. However, son had visited WI and had a “fallen in love” moment from first site. The campus, people, football. “mom everyone is so nice.” It is a risk to give up a direct entry offer to Business School somewhere else when WI only take just under 50% of all pre-business. We accepted because of the Real Estate program. I am not sure we would have taken the risk anywhere else. Good luck. Tough decision. It was a hard week for us. There has to be compelling reason to take that risk and you have to weigh your kids chances of being in the 50% that gets in.

3 Likes