UW Madison vs Purdue for Economics

I’ve been accepted into a couple uni’s as an international student for economics but UW Madison and Purdue are the most affordable (Purdue being about 13K cheaper per year). I got into Krannert for BS Econ in Purdue and at L&S BS Econ in Madison.

I’m interested in going to grad school (most probably for a MS Finance) and pursuing a quantitative career along the lines of finance.

Krannert’s curriculum seems to be more focused and quantitative while Madison has a more broad and theoretical curriculum. However, Madison ranks higher in nearly every ranking I’ve seen (Madison ranks 14 in economics nationally while Purdue is at 40). I’m also concerned that Krannert would be overshadowed by CS and Engineering majors.

In terms of prestige, academics and location (for jobs/internships), which college is better? Would it be better to save money for undergrad and then go on to a top grad school?

In Purdue, I got into the Larsens Leaders Academy. Would this help boost my resume for internships and how would this along with my Purdue degree compare against UW Madison?

1 Like

Go to Purdue - Krannert is solid.

You are international - so expect to go home afterward.

Internships are found both in school and online - indeed, linkedin. Most ask if you need a sponsorship and that will eliminate you. I hear though for interns - they don’t need one - but their online systems will automatically cut you.

Rankings really don’t play a part in your scenario at all. They do sell magazines though.

Purdue is the better school for you.

Good luck.

1 Like

Go with Purdue. It sounds like the best fit your career goals and academic interests, and cherry on top, it’s cheaper!

Note: Internationals don’t need sponsorship for an internship, they can use CPT as long as the internship relates to their studies - keeping in mind CPT cuts from OPT time, but is time well-invested since odds of OPT are lower without CPT.

1 Like

In this analysis of economics departments based on faculty publishing, Madison placed 23rd and Krannert at Purdue placed 53rd: Economics rankings: US Economics Departments | IDEAS/RePEc.

Fwiw, Krannert is/was the graduate school.

Having heavily invested in Engineering and CS, Purdue is turning to a new Business School as their next major investment, starting this fall.

In Larsen’s at a a lower price, Purdue seems to be a very attractive choice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.