VA Tech as safety school??

<p>I was wondering if VA Tech would be a good safety school for engineering.
White female from Southern VA
Legacy: my grandfather, grandmother, father, mother, and sister have gone (all in college of engineering)
Grades: 4.0 UW
AP classes: Us history-5, World History-5, Human Geography-5, Calculus BC-5, Physics-5
SAT: 760 Math, 660 reading, 700 writing
SAT 2: 780 Math II, 700 Chemistry
Do you think I am guaranteed a spot at the university? (If I don't get in engineering they submit me to University Studies)</p>

<p>Yeah… I mean, I don’t really like telling people that VT is a safety because You Never Know but I’d be absolutely astounded if you didn’t get in.</p>

<p>Yeah you would be a really strong candidate reguardless. Plus, with your legacy, there is pretty much a very slim chance of rejection. Just keep up the good work and you’ll be happy with the end result.</p>

<p>is the business school hard to get in to? I hear how selective the engineering school is. I have 4.0 uw 2 Ap’s. Many clubs and leadership positions, no test scores atm :frowning: and 2 cousins that are alumni. Its annoying, i’m from FL, and don’t want to go to UF, and all these state schools give special priveleges to residents in their states. I wanted to go to UVA so badly, but too expensive.</p>

<p>lb, I cant speak from an entering freshman perspective as I was a transfer student, but under the transfer guidelines Tech says for most majors a competitive GPA is above a 3.0, but for some majors suchs as engineering and business a 3.5 may be needed, so that may also apply (not the actual GPAs per se) to prospective high school students as well, but I can say for certain.</p>

<p>yes you are definitely in. consider it a safety</p>

<p>You should be in as an OOS. I would re-look at the cost issue, because both Tech and UVA are state, thus, you will be paying OOS costs. I think they are both in the 30K ballpark, if the cost is too high for UVA it will probably be the same for Tech.</p>

<p>What are some good safety schools for computer science/ computer engineering in the mid atlantic for a
African american male
3.6 gpa unweighted
760 math, 680 reading, 640 writing
science club
habitat for humanity for many years
academic fraternity- research and design chairman
honor roll through high school
4 on AP English Lit
4 AP world history
3 Computer Science AP
Intro to engineering program at U of Virginia last summer</p>

<p>interned this summer at U of Maryland school of engineering and will continue in the fall,
I like U of MD and UMBC as well as UVA and U ov Delaware.</p>

<p>I’m considering Bloomsburg and Frostburg as safeties. Please give other suggestions.
Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>For Comp Sci/Comp Eng look at George Mason University as well as James Madison University. Both are in VA and can be slightly less selective than UVA or VT.</p>

<p>A couple of things to point out to intel</p>

<ol>
<li><p>I assume you are a MD resident. If you are, combined with your SAT, gpa, and internship at UMDCP I would say UMDCP is a match, but probably a safety.</p></li>
<li><p>UDEL compared to others mentioned is a weak university. Nothing against UDEL, but your stats are very high for them. I would apply there just for no other reason than it is a definete safety and they may give great merit.</p></li>
<li><p>JMU is more of a LAC college than an engineering college, so you need to keep that in mind.</p></li>
<li><p>I have heard anecdotally that Tech for MD students as OOS, would be comparative to NJ students for UMDCP OOS. In other words very competitive just because your state of residency is MD.</p></li>
<li><p>Select safeties, matches and reaches based on your own personal desires. If you love the look of UMDCP, being close to a big city, and ACC sports, than JMU will make you miserable. If you love Tech, the mtns, the buildings, the schools spirit than JMU is something you should look at. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>College is more than classes, it is 24/7 living. Our DS is at UMDCP and would rather have needles stuck in his eyes before he would attend Tech. Mainly because he likes the big sprawling campus and DC. Our DD will be attending Tech this fall, and she would rather walk over coals before attending UMDCP because of their campus and location.</p>

<p>I love both campuses, but they are night and day, from the stone work to the layout to the location. The only commonality they have is they are both rabid when it comes to football and basketball.</p>

<p>Finally GMU, is a good school, but again it’s campus is nothing like either Tech, JMU or UMDCP. I would place it more like UDEL, very modern with a city campus atmosphere.</p>

<p>I will say GMU is the least selective out of the JMU, VTECH and UVA category. I would place it just above the VCU level.</p>

<p>Our DD applied to GMU, JMU and VTECH. I want to note that all of them had groundbreaking yrs for applications. Each stated in their acceptance letter that they had between 28-30K applicants for less than 4K spots. If you are OOS you will stand better off solely based on the economy. Not many parents will say I am willing to pay 37K OOS for a college that is equal or lower ranked than the IS college. Remember UMDCP is in the top 20 public colleges in the nation. GMU, UDEL, JMU are not.</p>

<p>Finally your stats are comparative to what are DS had back in 07. He applied to UMiami, Florida, and not only did he get in, but they gave him @100K in merit scholarship. As you can tell he rejected it to attend UMDCP.</p>

<p>IF funding is found through FA or merit aid, GMU is a sleeping giant as far as comp engineering. Wheather or not you like the campus is a totally different issue. It’s highly personal. I mention it as it does get lost in the mix and is worth looking at of that’s your major. JMUs engineering school is relatively new and not what they are known for. Comp engineering is one of their only focuses. I have heard good things about the program, it is a highly regarded school, but again, the entire campus experience has to agree with what you are looking for. I mention JMU as many people do not know it offers engineering. Traditionally JMU has been an instate safety for many students whose first choice may have been UVa or Wm & Mry. It is increasingly competitive. </p>

<p>When looking for safety schools often you look where you had not considered. That was my intent.</p>

<p>As a parent of 2 kids in college, I would say it is very important on how they feel about the campus when deciding colleges. The quickest way to fail is hating where you live. Classes will be similar at each college, but life will be different.</p>

<p>You will take tops 21 credit hours per semester. That means 21`hrs per week you are in class out of a possible 168 hours. If you are a big football fan, than what will you do on Saturday if there is no football team? If you love the mountains, and no traffic, you will hate going on 95/495/395 (GMU , UDEL, and UMDCP). Big campus turns you off, UMDCP should be hit from the list. Small campus turns you off GMU should be hit.</p>

<p>I agree you should expand your horizons to look on the offbeat track, but remember to stay true to your personality. That was my intent.</p>