Va Tech deadline change

Is this the first year that the regular decision deadline is Dec. 1 and not in January? Would that possibly change the notification dates?

I believe the deadline was January 15th last year, with the first wave of notifications done on February 20th and the second on March 17th. Hopefully, the earlier deadline will move up notifications. Did anyone ask the admissions office or hear anything?

The official answer is you will hear by April 1st.

12/1 deadline and 4/1 notification is brutally long. Having said that, South Carolina’s EA deadline was 10/15 and notifcation date was set for mid December and we heard on 11/7. I am hoping VT will admit in waves too.

VT’s yield was very high in the last cycle. They had to over enroll and scramble a bit. It’s a good problem but I’m sure that they will take a step back and slow the process down a bit this year to more accurately select candidates.

@STEM2017, Your S is a freshman at VT if I recall, how did the large freshman enrollment effect housing? Did they have to convert doubles into triples? How is he enjoying the school and lastly, what other schools was he deciding between? TIA

@pkgny2022 Yes, my S is currently a freshman at VT. He wasn’t really affected by the over-enrollment because he is in Galileo LLC and they managed to keep rooms to doubles. However, almost every student lounge in Lee Hall (where he lives) was converted into a double room. There’s still the main lounge on the second floor, but all of the floor lounges are gone. Kind of a bummer if you just need a quiet, and close room to study. Otherwise, he is enjoying his time at Tech. He’s been to all of the home football games and he’s been to a bunch of parties and events. They know how to have fun there, thats for sure. His engineering coursework is very challenging but he is adjusting well and should end up with a solid GPA.

He was accepted to several great schools. But in the end, it came down to Ohio State, University of Florida, and Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech was the most generous by a wide margin…the decision to attend VT was easy based on finances.

Good luck!

@STEM2017 what is your state of residency? I am assuming it is VA. My son’s top 2 are VT and UF and we are FL residents. The financial situation is likely to be opposite for us with Florida Prepaid Tuition done and the FL Bright Futures scholarship which covers in state tuition and fees.

@fl1234 We’re from NY.

At VT, my S was awarded the Davenport Scholarship and a few other merit based awards. VT also took into consideration financial difficulties that we’re currently dealing with. UF didn’t give anything and OSU gave a small amount, but we’re OOS so I wasn’t too surprised or upset.

@STEM2017 What were your son’s GPA and SAT/ACT? What major did he apply for and is he in the Corps?