Virginia Tech Class of 2025 — Decision Release Date: Mar 1-15

I predict there will b very few OOS admits because of the large increase in applications, VT has to prioritize in-state students.

Doesn’t that depend on the overall financial picture? Often, oos pay a higher level of tuition, which could be a reason to admit a certain number if they offer aid to in state, worthy students.

2 Likes

They can’t cut the ratio of OOS to in-state too much without big impacts on their revenue. They rely on a certain proportion of the higher tuition—and I would suspect a lot of full pay OOS tuition.

I may have misinterpreted the comment I referenced, but “… shape the class exactly how they want it to look without those pesky test scores as a check and balance” was a reminder of just how bad the dialogue was on the results thread last year, where several posters had to be muted due to their behavior. That comment sounded an awful lot like the test score version of the high-priced essay coach situation you mentioned - financially secure, upper-middle class suburbanite who’s kid gets to take the standardized tests multiple times after spending $1,000’s on SAT/ACT tutoring beforehand who expects that to ensure admissions to University X. Then has a meltdown because their high-stats kid ( who waited to apply EA or RD because, you know, “options” but then claims VT was their #1 all along) didn’t get an offer. Watch the results thread… it’ll most likely happen again.

I agree that grade inflation is definitely a thing, and all aspects of an applicant’s HS experience should be part of the process.

The ratio of IS to OOS is pretty close to 2/3 to 1/3 year after year. This, to my understanding, is due to VT’s status as a land-grant university (although I’ve never seen any specific language to that effect). It’s unlikely they would try and exceed 2/3 IS for the reason mentioned in other posts -$.

Ah, I understanding now what you were detecting. I will say, not all kids with high scores indicate kids manipulating the situation with resources (my daughter flipped through a study book the night before last Feb. and then got a nearly perfect score, which of course was a surprise), but I see the issues. Unfortunately I think the same issues apply to essays which are more subjective and, like I said, can’t even be verified to have been written by the student. It’s a bit of a mess this year, obviously, but it will be interesting to see how the process evolves going forward. Who knows, maybe it will get to a point where a strong applicant MUST apply ED to be competitive at the more selective schools. That would be a shame.

Fortunately my S21’s major looks like more of a 66%/33% split between IS/OOS

The school overall is actually closer to 50/50 though - if you look at the data

Similar to your daughter, many of our DS friends did not use a review course of any kind except reviewing previous tests and the ones that did used the free course offered at their high school. While it is true that many high income parents can afford expensive tutors and review courses, that is not the norm (simply because most parents aren’t high income) and shouldn’t be used as an excuse to eliminate the SAT/ACT which, unlike the varying degrees of course difficulty, grading systems, etc., is standardized, meaning every student takes the same test. It should not be the sole determinant but should definitely be in the mix. It’s even more critical to use when applications skyrocket.

2 Likes

Don’t know why it was requested, maybe because of the failed class. I even emailed admissions to see if they wanted them and they said no

Not sure which data you are referring to. SCHEV data is available below, and fall undergrad enrollment from 2016-17 to 2020-21 has averaged 70% in state.

E19: Fall Headcount: Percentage of In-State and Out-of-State Students (schev.edu)

Prep courses aside, ability to fund multiple rounds of taking a standardized test are also barriers to segments of the population who have may high performing students in terms of GPA and course rigor. As universities continue to collect data, the trend seems to be that what a student does over an extended period of time may be a better predictor of college success than standardized testing.

Logged into the portal today, and noticed they added a new box: Notification of Decisions. Everyone see the new box in the portal? Says Late February for EA…I called Admissions a few weeks ago, and they said February 19.

1 Like

I see it too

Well the 19th could be considered late Feb, right?

Other forums have had posts saying that school guidance offices have called admissions and have been told “week of the 21st”. Unfortunately, you’ll only know once their social media team posts a few hours before. Be careful with what you see on the portal before official announcement has been posted. There have been software glitches in the past, and I personally know of someone who looked early on announcement day and saw what they believed to be accepted status only to look again after official results were announced on social to find that they were deferred.

Yes, that is late-February… but at least we have a DATE in mind. Just thought I’d share…

Look forward to getting updates from all to better understand any problems.

That was my understanding too, that in-state percentage was somewhere in the low 70s.

https://udc.vt.edu/irdata/data/students/admission/index

I was speaking of offers. If you toggle the IS/OOS buttons, you’ll see that there are more out of state offers than in state (barely) for 2020.

But yes - the IS enrollment is much higher

74% acceptance rate for in-states for my major but when u factor in race and gender it goes down to 66%. Still is looking promising though!!!