Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

I would highly recommend GT if you can afford it. Definitely the best engineering school on the list. Son went there OOS from VA. Picked it over UVA and VT.

4 Likes

WILD!!! Donā€™t worry!!! It will all work out!!! That makes NO SENSE!!!

My son, accepted to VT but will not accept. He was accepted to GT ($40K cheaper ranked 40 spots higher engineering & field).

1390SAT / class rank 1 / VP / 100+ hours volunteer / theater / piano / works / IB candidate / 4.9QPA cannot get higher at given school / 4.0 GPA / 12 university dual enrollment credits / etc.

He will turn down VT b/c not admitted to Honors College. And, he was accepted to ā€œway better HCā€ ā€¦ so its not a stat compare, but just to show you it makes NO SENSE!!!

Your kiddo is hands down going to get a letter from VTā€¦ and will do great no matter what.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about the waitlist. But, If there is still any interest in VT, maybe stay on the waitlist and see what happens?

1 Like

does anyone know where to check the honors college decision? Congrats to the new Hokies!

1 Like

Thanks. We will definitely now being doing admitted students day there.

1 Like

Thanks. He is staying on, but a July 1 date is so crazy late. I wonder if any of them start coming out sooner?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a shame. What major?

2 Likes

You should get it in the SAME letter is what we read. It only makes sense, else theyā€™re just torqueing people off, right?

That written, our kiddo in, but no HC. Will decline VT as accepted into higher ranking HC and into top 4 engineering school that is cheaper.

3 Likes

OOS son admitted for general engineering with interest in mechanical engineering
4.0 unweighted
11 APs
Lots of EC leadership, music, sports
No merit but didnā€™t fill out FASFA if that matters
Headed to Georgia Tech in the fall

3 Likes

Business. It just makes no sense. Best friend was admitted with a 3.7 GPA and no test scoreā€™s submitted (but I know his score was 1100- hence not submitted).

Itā€™s fine really. He received a good amount of academic scholarship money at some of the other schools. So, it will actually cost us less to go OOS. My oldest son is also OOS.

In-state
Accepted (General Engineering, Computer Science)
4.0 UW, 4.58 W
1530 SAT
Unique/Weird/Questionable ECs mixed in with some decent ā€œnormalā€ ones
Personal Statement was very good, kinda forgot about what I did for the VTech ones.
From the looks of things, no-merit scholarships.

VTech admissions from what Iā€™ve seen are very very random lol even if your high stats. For sure some yield protection shenanigans going on.

1 Like

I think the interest was from growing up in a really big Hokie family. My father is a golden Hokie and very involved in the school. I wouldnā€™t be upset if I didnā€™t think my students academic record falls nicely within their ā€œguidelinesā€. We have lots of good choices though so all okay :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, if you look at the statsā€¦ its the other way around.

Because OOS apps are full pay (general)ā€¦they mandate higher stats and $$ to allow for lower IS apps.

Just the way it worksā€¦ almost across the board.

1 Like

HEY>>> VABELLE ā€¦ I see you here again! Our kiddo into GT too (from other EA post OOS). Likely headed thereā€¦ but really still debating the low GPA that GT issues vs. trying to get into med school later.

I think weā€™re sticking to take the TOUGH routeā€¦ go to GTā€¦ suffer, fight, get stronger, even if GPA is 3.6 or 3.7 or whateverā€¦ will be that much strong for med school.

1 Like

People commenting will tend to have their own biases, including me! So sorry about the VT waitlist. It stings and Iā€™ve been there . That waitlist may turn into an accepance. Both UVA and VT engineering are great(I had one at each). GT seems great too but I would not particularly worry too much about rankings as all 3 are well regarded. Maybe look at things like social fit, finances, logistics. Good luck!

3 Likes

My son was waitlisted! We are from NoVA, so not a bit surprised. He also applied for Computer Science College of Engineering.

Anyone else trying to accept the waitlist and it takes you to this page about ā€œNon-Degree and Agricultural Technology Application Managementā€ which has his application info (date submitted, etc) but he applied to Engineering?

When he went back to his portal, he still sees the option to accept or deny the waitlist??

2 Likes

Try to make sense of that one?!

VT makes some really crazy decisions. My daughter really loves USC, and Iā€™m guessing that with your sonā€™s stats, he was given some great merit money there.

1 Like

I read somewhere the HC decision will come in a separate later, after the admission

1 Like

Congrats!