Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Created a thread for Virginia Tech Fall 2023 Waitlist

3 Likes

Created a thread for Virginia Tech Fall 2023 Waitlist

2 Likes

We know too many waitlisted kids this year too. I was wondering if anyone was denied or all got waitlisted

2 Likes

Same thing happened to my son. Wish they sent an email saying “you are on the waitlist”

Trying to find out the same

Yes, we know a friend rejected.

1 Like

How good is Pamplin Business program in comparison to Smeal at PSU or Poole at NCSU?

1 Like

Admitted OOS. Late to this thread. Was merit included in the admittance letter? He got none and not interested if that is it. Got $ at other schools.

1 Like

There is a financial aid tab in the portal. Any awarded merit will be there; it’s not in the admittance letter.

VT has never been known for giving a ton of merit. I’m always amazed to hear when families are surprised by this. If you’re looking for OOS merit, VT is likely a waste of an application.

2 Likes

It only becomes a waste of an application once you start to get offers from other colleges and the financial picture they paint is dramatically different than VT.

DS has a friend (high stat) that applied to VT and got $0 merit. He got full tuition/fees at our local state school. They contacted VT with a “were expecting merit given high achievement, etc etc”. VT quickly replied - on a Saturday no less - with a “we offered you what we offered you, you can accept it or no”. VT was at the top of this kids list and might have gone there except for the merit from the other school.

I’m just hoping that these folks are quick to withdraw so VT might get to their waitlist.

3 Likes

That’s how the merit game works. There are schools that are known to be generous (often to entice higher stat students to come there - similarly, they dangle the honors programs as an enticement). Then there are schools that notably do not give (much) merit (VT, Penn State and others). They don’t have to entice high stat students to choose them - they are already popular with applicants and offer competitive STEM (among other) programs that many applicants are attracted to.

If looking for merit, smaller, lesser-known private colleges may be a better bet or some of the big publics that are known to reward high stat students (Alabama, UTK, UofSC, FSU offers in-state waivers to certain stat levels, to name a few - although the popularity of each of those has grown exponentially in the past couple of application cycles, and as such, the merit offers are starting to decrease).

I don’t doubt that your son’s friend had excellent stats but most of the applicants to VT also have impressive stats, so there would nowhere for them to draw the line. Also, perhaps their somewhat entitled attitude when contacting VT contributed to the tone of VT’s response :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Apparently son didn’t upload his Senior grades, so they moved him to regular decision, but he didn’t get an email stating to do so. At this point, we are moving on as he wants to make his decision ASAP.

Senior grades? I was told they didn’t consider senior year grades. My DD’s HS sends them automatically to every school applied to but they told me they don’t look at them. They only look after they’ve been accepted to make sure they have maintained their grades adequately senior year.

3 Likes

You’re 100% accurate - but when applying to a school that is “typically big on merit” you don’t know if/how that’s going to apply to you or not. So you make the rounds and apply without consideration of that. My point was that you attribute that as a “waste of an application”. Hindsight is easy.

As far as going back to ask for Merit - I’ve spoken with several admissions advisers and financial aid people in the past year. They ALL have said there is nothing to be harmed by asking but best guidance is to preface it in terms of “This is my DS/DD #1 choice but we’re trying to make the financials work and with $XX of merit, you have your next Hokie”. Make it specific and commit. They can always tell you no but they’re not going to rescind your admission offer for asking. They’re also likely going to go back and look at FAFSA and see if it’s someone that would be on the bubble or not.

2 Likes

Do you mean he didn’t put in what classes he was taking senior year into the SRAR? Like @blueblanket1 said, they don’t see any senior grades when making an admission decision but part of SRAR is to load the course curriculum with IP (in Progress) as grades. Without the school knowing those classes being taken they can’t assess “academic rigor”.

We had a similar message back in December and it was to finalize the SRAR (which we thought we had done), but apparently y missed a button.

If you have not already done so , in addition to coursework and grades, Virginia Tech wants you to provide the following information in the SRAR:

• Senior/12th Grade Coursework

This is the message they said he missed.

We didn’t think they needed them and his file says complete, so we are stumped

Yeah they’re not looking for grades there but do want to know what classes your student is taking in 12th grade.

1 Like

Yes, they want you to report what classes he is taking. Not the actual grades.

1 Like