Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Engineering. She knows someone who got into engineering with significantly lower stats in every way.

@vamom71 another engineering school to consider that gives automatic grade based scholarships is West Virginia University. They have rolling admission and with her score and gpa she would automatically qualify for $16k per year since she is oos. Tuition would end up being less expensive than VT, UVA, or VCU instate tuition. Their engineering program is pretty well respected.

2 Likes

Are you in-state or oos?

In state

2 Likes

Wow, yeah that is hard to understand. She has similar class rank and gpa as my daughter. I would guess she has high rigor with that class rank. Did she take the most rigorous classes (math/science) needed for engineering? How do they weight the gpa at her school? At, my daughter’s, for an A, they give 5 for AP/DE, 4.5 for honors, and 4 for standard classes. They don’t give +/- grades.

I suspect part of the waitlist decisions are based on not wanting to repeat the 2019 fiasco: Over-Enrolled, Virginia Tech Offers Gap Year Stipend, Free Community College : NPR

1 Like

The number of kids they offered enrollment to off the waitlist the last couple of years supports your suspicion. DS is on the waitlist and if VT comes by 5/1 with an offer we’ll definitely consider it. After 5/1 we will have definitely moved on. We’re OOS though and it may be easier for IS kids to pivot.

This is remarkably unfair. Also waitlisted here with 34 act 4.5 and biology major, in state and early application and legacyMakes no sense

The ACT score and Legacy are “considered” in the application to VT - which means they look and say “oh, that’s nice”. How were the essays to them? They put a LOT of weight on those. The 4.5GPA might be a sign of yield protection on VT’s part.

What was your kid’s stats to be invited , please?

1 Like

What are the criteria to get into honors college?

1 Like

Ditto.

Instate, 4.2, 1400 SAT, would have been. 3rd generation Hokie. 9 AP courses, lots of EC- business major intent. SMH.

2 Likes

She is a IB diploma candidate and has taken the most rigorous courses at her school, including AP Cal BC as a junior and Physics HL
Gpa is 4.3
Strong leadership ECs

There was a question on the App that asked if she was interested in the Honors College and she checked yes.

Sorry about this! This is totally shocking and does not seem fair AT ALL!!! Sounds like they lost an excellent student. My son was also admitted to Clemson- wondering how you know about merit- we won’t be notified until March.

Every school different when it comes to Merit and Aid. Some issue Merit with the offer of admission - some include Merit and Aid together later in the cycle, etc.

2 Likes

She took AP Calc AB and BC, physics, Ap physics, etc. the writing here is added after the class it’s like +.05 for AP and +.025 for honors.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t try to equalize out GPA’s based on AP/Honors. That’s all part of the reason some schools ask for SRAR - they have their own algorithm for making sure they’re comparing everyone roughly the same.

1 Like

Thanks! Great!

2 Likes

Another yield protection case, it sounds like!

1 Like

I would definitely talk to your HS counselor. Your counselor may reach out to the local VT rep for you or give you some suggestions. If you are at the point at which your daughter would enroll if accepted, I would consider reaching out and gently tell that to the local rep. Definitely talk to the counseling department at your HS though - including the head counselor.

3 Likes