Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

I think he’s going to try, but you’re right that it’s not easy. They don’t seem to have an easy way to filter out the not relevant ones (the ones tied to a specific major or to a demographic or income bracket).

Oh, also I think the General application for scholarships isn’t open until January anyway.

Thanks, it is great to know the general application will be open in January. I think we should at least try to apply to one…

EA is already usually more competitive but it’s all competitive when VT gets 45,000 applications.

My child is a senior and has applied every year. This year she got a $3000 scholarship which was the highest of all four years. From reading others’ experience on the VT parents FB page, this is pretty typical.

The small scholarships were worth it to us for about one hour of effort.

2 Likes

I got deferred from Ed-> Ea for biochemistry, wondering if many get in from deferrals? As well as chances in biochem!!

This info is helpful! The award will make her resume look fantastic. When did she apply at freshmen year?

1 Like

I think in January. I also think that she applied for COE scholarships in a separate application portal.

My daughter is a sophomore and received a small non-resident scholarship. She fills out the general scholarship application each January, just in case. I don’t know how they decide but her GPA at VT is very good, so maybe that will eventually work in her favor. It’s my understanding that VT does not stack its own scholarships so if your kid has one and they are awarded another, the first one is canceled (not sure how they handle outside scholarships).

You’re right, there are a lot of scholarships listed and it’s hard to filter but you can filter for major. I’ve looked through the list and many of them are very specific as far as having to be a VA resident and even having to live in a specific county, and many are need-based. I remember looking through them after my D was accepted and concluding that there wasn’t anything really for incoming freshman, so probably the general application is the way to go for now.

Also keep in mind that VT requires the FAFSA for all its scholarships (they keep it on file - it doesn’t affect their decisions for merit-based awards) and that has to be renewed each year.

2 Likes

How did he do? My daughter got her ED acceptance last Friday, she’s beyond ecstatic

1 Like

We’re from NJ, my daughter got her ED acceptance and said she already filled out the general scholarship application a few days ago

2 Likes

Thanks! We’ll check it out this weekend.

Oh, did costs go up this year? I noticed that the final numbers they gave us were higher than the net cost calculator, by about 5k per year.

To everyone deferred from ED to EA, here are some stats from VT’s Common Data Set to give you hope!

In the 2021/22 admission cycle they received 2316 ED applications and admitted 1356 compared to overall (ED + EA + RD) they offered full time admission to 20,239 students (6,587 ultimately enrolled). If you look back on the common data set at previous years, the ED stats are similar. Every year less than 2,000 students are admitted ED! That’s it! So kids need to realize that VT will be offering admission to thousands more during the EA and RD process!

https://aie.vt.edu/content/aie_vt_edu/en/strategic-analysis/common-data-set.html

2 Likes

does anyone know when ea comes out?

The website says “late February” but not a specific date.

1 Like

Any CNRE majors out there? My DS will be applying Regular Decision for Fish Conservation. VT recently came up on his radar for aquatic science so we aren’t too familiar.

Any ED students get their acceptance packet yet?

Haven’t gotten anything in the mail yet.

1 Like

Oh wait, I forgot… we did get a small packet in the mail shortly after he was accepted. It had a copy of his acceptance letter and some info on what to look up. It wasn’t much, but we did get something.

Does anyone know what acceptance rate is for RD students? Virginia Tech was late on our radar so we didn’t get it in early. It looks like they take the bulk of their students ED and EA?