Virginia Tech is my ride or die...how should I proceed?

Alright so I applied ED to Virginia Tech’s engineering school with my eventual major being computer engineering. I got DEFERRED (I’m in state). Basic facts, I’m a female who’s mom, dad, uncle, and grandpa all have engineering degrees from Tech. I’m in a plethora of clubs/sports including:

• Debate (4yrs)
  • Varsity Swimming (4yrs)
    -School’s VERY FIRST Robotics team
    -Beta Club (Vice President)
  • History Honor Society (2yrs)
    -Math Honor Society(1yr)
    -Science Honor Society(1yr)
    -Model United Nations(1yr)
    -Key Club(3yrs)
    -Student Advisory Council ( both home school and trade school I attend)(1yr)
    -Sole tech crew for the entire theatre department
    -Forensics (1yr)
    -National Honor Society (1yr)
    -Appalachia Service Project (through a local church) (2yrs)
    *Math SAT: 570 (25 ACT)
    *English SAT: 700
    *GPA: 4.0358
    *Class Rank: 58 out of 297
    This year I am taking AP Computer Science in place of a formal math class, but starting this month (Jan 2020) I will be taking Calculus 1 at my local community college (took pre calc junior year). I’m the leader of our school’s robotics team who placed first this past year at nationals. I’m convinced that I was not accepted because of my ABHORRENTLY low math SAT score, however I believe my saving grace is the fact that I have my Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician certification. This is a pretty weighty certification that allowed me to have valuable mentorships and internships with my local armed forces groups, and General Dynamics Information Technology (GDIT). To get this I took the course (hardest thing in my life but thankfully I got an A) at my local trade school, and this year I’m in the second part working towards my Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA). I went to the trade school instead of the Governor’s School for Science and Technology because without my CCENT, I wouldn’t have had the internship possibilities open to me, and I wouldn’t have the opportunity to do the social networking with potential employers that I’ve done. Anyway, Tech is the ONLY school that I have applied to and if I don’t get in I plan on doing a year at community college and transferring in because I want nothing more than to go there. Several of my teachers have advised that I make an appointment with admissions and explain to them that I am taking calculus, why I didn’t go to GOV schools since its the hardest courses available technically, why my math SAT is so low, and the fact that I want this more than anything in the entire world. I want to do everything in my power to put myself on admission’s radar, so If I get rejected here in February, I know I did everything in my power to help my chances . Everyone I’ve spoken to says yes go to admissions, guidance counselor says no. My question is: SHOULD I TALK TO ADMISSIONS (4 HR DRIVE FROM WHERE I LIVE)(Also assume I have a flawless speech reversed and prepared to the highest extent beforehand) To anyone who’s read this far, thank you from the bottom of my heart and I look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts!

This sounds like a terrible IMO. People really don’t like being told that they don’t know how to do their job. Supplementing your application with additional information in a letter is fine. I really don’t see you getting a meeting anyway. At least not without Campus Police present.

Making an appointment with admissions to make excuses sounds like a terrible idea to me.

It is also a terrible idea for anyone to put all of their eggs in one basket as you have done with VaTech (especially with a Math SAT well below the school’s average). I suggest you quickly apply to some match/safety schools or be prepared to attend a CC.

Your SAT math score is over 100 points lower than their average. If you also took a less rigorous course load then that didn’t help either. You should listen to your guidance counselor. Driving 4 hours to try to justify your choices isn’t likely to get your deferral changed to an acceptance.

I think it’s a mistake to have one dream school. All students should have real (academic and financial safeties). You might want to consider adding some match and safety schools to your list.

So, typically after a deferral, applicants write Admissions a Letter of Continued Interest (LOCI). You can find lots of good insight on how to write this on this site. This would be an excellent place to mention your love of Va Tech and the fact that you are now taking Calculus. But, you should also try to weave in what you will add to the VA Tech community. Be brief and flawless in your grammar and language. Good luck!

Admissions isn’t only about what YOU want, but what VT wants and needs on their campus. The fact you want in “more than anything else in the world” counts for absolutely nothing in their eyes. That sounds harsh, I know, but as soon as you understand what doesn’t matter, you will be able to focus your energy on what does matter.

Yes, your math scores hurt, but your vast list of ECs hint that you may have missed the memo about how they are supposed to be about quality over quantity. The Cisco certification is great, but very little of your ECs relate to each other in the right ways.

I think you need to take a step back, do more careful research as to what VT is looking for, think how you can SHOW (not tell) those qualities. Then, write a very carefully worded letter expressing your continued interest, mention that you will most certainly attend if accepted, reiterate what you can “bring to the table” (focusing only on things that match you well to the qualities the school wants), and list accomplishments not previously listed in your application. Offer to start in the spring if a spot is not available for the fall.

The ONLY thing that I have found helps for colleges that care about yield, is for your GC to call your HS’s VT admissions rep at tell him/her that you will definitely enroll if admitted. You should also say that in your LOCI.

Would a letter be a complete waste of my time? Or does it actually stand a chance of being read by an admissions officer?

A well written letter is by far a better use of your time than a four hour drive to look like a nut in front of the admissions officers.

Edited to say: A call from your GC can be useful too, both to reiterate you will attend if accepted, to inquire what can be done to get you in after deferral, or to find out if the deferral was, in fact, a “soft no” for an applicant with several alumni connections.

A BRIEF letter (one or two paragraphs) of continued interest would be appropriate. I would email it to your admissions officer.

Do no use the letter to make excuses or explain your choices.

In the letter you should: 1) make it clear that VaTech is your top choice and if accepted you would attend; 2) any valuable information (ex. that you are taking calculus if it wasn’t on your application) 3) anything special you feel you can add to the community.

Brevity and clarity are of upmost importance – this is NOT an opportunity for another essay, it should be a short and sweet statement clarifying your continued interest in the school.

I don’t expect it will change the admission decision given your math SAT but it is worth a try. AGAIN, I’d encourage you to quickly put in some applications to some less selective universities.

Yes! @hopefulhokie24 ! They will read a succinct letter. Use the template @happy1 outlined above.

How was your first semester? Your GPA is also 0.2 below the average. If you had a good first semester you should highlight it. You can mention that you would attend if accepted, however you already applied ED. That is the ultimate show of desire to attend.

There’s no such thing as “do or die” when choosing a college, especially for a degree as ridiculously employable as computers. You have about 2,000 universities to choose from. Take your time and find a university that loves you back.

@Eeyore123 my first semester is all A’s. I’m in AP Computer Science, My CCNA course (Duel enrolled for college credit), I’m doing a mentorship with GDIT, Physics, AP English, and AP Government

@austinmshauri Unfortunately, even if I do attend another university, I plan on transferring to Tech after a year. I truly do not want to go anywhere else. Finances will not be an issue (I don’t qualify for any need based scholarships), and I will be getting there one way or another, either transferring from a community college, or another university

@happy1 My only hesitation with writing a letter is the possibility of it being swept under the rug and left completely unopened, is this a common occurrence?

I don’t work for VATech admissions but it seems worth the time to write an email. Again, I think the odds of admission are small and suggest you apply elsewhere.

It is not unusual for deferred applicants to send a letter of continuing interest.

To repeat what was mentioned above, what you want/plan to do does not impact the school’s admission decisions.

Not taking a math class senior year, along with a math SAT below the 25% mark is going to be a challenge. I fear you overestimate the value of the trade school certification.

Put the material discussed above into a LOI, but I strongly recommend developing a contingency plan. Ignoring the potential problem won’t make it go away.

yeah , have a backup plan but I truly hope you achieve your goals!

Most of the time if you are deferred from an ED there is an option like stated above for continued interest. Your math scores are low but I think with ED the SAT are probably set for admission. Deferrral will be a much more holistic approach but send in that letter of continued interest and dont point out the negatives but definitely highlight all the postives and the Definite interest if accepted