Virginia Tech Merit-Based Scholarships

<p>mcroson, I did not apply for need-based financial aid, or fill out the FAFSA. I’m in state with a 3.96 GPA and 2080 SAT: 720 Critical Reading, 660 Math, 700 Writing. I didn’t take the SAT, so I’m not sure about the ACT. I got the award in the mail in March - the day before I posted the first post on this topic.</p>

<p>As for Honors, I qualified for the Honors Program, but haven’t gotten a reply because of transcript issues that delayed my invitation. I’ll know around April 25 (this was already said).</p>

<p>I got one. Stats: I am 8th in my class of 500. My GPA is 4.02 and my SAT scores for the two are 1400.</p>

<p>Does it come in the mail seperate from the admissions decision?
I’m 7th in my class out of 500. 4.35 gpa. 2100 SAT single sitting.</p>

<p>OOS. Came in separate letter from admissions decision. 5.86 weighted GPA. accepted to engineering school but no scholarships from them yet. First merit award we got from a college that was only for one year and not renewable.</p>

<p>What does your gpa have to be to be awarded?</p>

<p>I have to ask, how does one get a 5.86? How much does your school weight AP classes? I’ve taken 15, but we only add .5 for every AP class.</p>

<p>Coolblue93: I doubt there is a minimum GPA for anything, especially seeing as no two school districts weight gpa’s the same and many choose not to weight. I had to work with my high school to get them to weight mine for admittance into another program, to which I also wrote an essay about why they shouldn’t use weighted gpa’s as a determinant. As you can tell, gpa’s can very wildly. I didn’t even know people could get above a 4.5, never the less a 5.</p>

<p>My son got the scholar scholarship. Letter says you have demonstrated significant educational achievements to earn this recognition. It was an uxpected suprise and we are very greatful, but I wish it was for each year! </p>

<p>Stats:
31 ACT
4.45 weighted GPA</p>

<p>I’m in NC and apparently didn’t get anything with a 3.8 UW/4.8 W and a 1480 combined.</p>

<p>Hmm Because when I got a scholarship for Umbc they gave me a similar “merit scholarship” because of my gpa. I was wondering if it was the same kind of merit scholarship based on gpa :)</p>

<p>What was Your gpa?</p>

<p>OOS, Texas, son also received the 5,000 merit scholarship letter on Friday. 32 ACT, heavy AP load, 3.9 GPA unweighted.</p>

<p>Just received the letter today for a $7,500 Pamplin College of Buisness award. While it is a nice surprise, I will most likely end up at the University Of Virginia.</p>

<p>Stats
SAT: 2100+
GPA: 4.23
All honors/APs
Cum Laude Society (Top 20%) at prestigious prep school</p>

<p>I just got he $7,500 Pamplin College of Business Freshman Merit Scholarship today as well. Do you know if it is renewable? I just enrolled to Elon University, but money might change things…</p>

<p>So are there any merit-based scholarships at VT valued at more than 10k? I’m an out-of-state student, by the way</p>

<p>I sure would like to know the answer to this as well? My son loves VT but it will be too expensive without any scholarship money. Does anyone know if you can get OOS tuition scholarships at VT? At USC they offer their honors awards as OOS tuition. I don’t think VT has that at all.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, my boys are in-state so I have no information for you. However, you may want to start a new thread since this was from back in 2011 and many people ignore them</p>

<p>I just made the new thread, @BB1945‌ </p>