Virginia Tech Merit-Based Scholarships

<p>Hello! Just thought it might be useful for future students to know about merit-based scholarships at VT (although I'm not sure of what scholarships are offered) I'd like to make a list of the scholarships, as well as the amount awarded and the requirements for each.</p>

<p>I'll start off with the one I found out I was awarded today:</p>

<p>Name: Virginia Tech Scholar Scholarship (redundant, right?)
Amount: $5,000
Renewable?: No
Requirements: Must be admitted to VT (no specific major required, as far as I know). You don't apply for it - I just found a letter in my mailbox, and found out that I had been awarded it. Talk about a nice surprise!</p>

<p>I also know about some Engineering Scholarships:</p>

<p>Name: Dean's and Davenport Scholarships
Amount: $5,000 (Dean's Scholarship), "the equivalent of in-state tuition and fees" (Davenport Scholarship)
Renewable?: Yes, for up to four years if GPA is maintained at 3.5 or above
Requirements: Must be admitted into the College of Engineering. Requires an application including an essay and optional personal statement.</p>

<p>Other Engineering scholarships exist which are offered by VT, and I know the names and that no application is required. However, I don't know the amounts and whether or not they are renewable:</p>

<p>Jerry H. Ballangee Engineering Scholarship
Charles S. Brown Engineering Scholarship
Jerry S. Chaney Scholarship
Robert C. Heterick, Jr. Endowed Scholarship
James A. Rule, Sr. Engineering Scholarship
Charles F. Sheffield ’76 Memorial Scholarship
Hobart Speegle, Jr. Scholarship
Charles C. Walts Endowed Scholarship</p>

<p>If you know about other scholarships offered by VT (any college within the school, not only the College of Engineering), or can give me any information about the other engineering scholarships, please post all info here! I'd like to make it easy for prospective students to get a quick look at what's available.</p>

<p>I also received the virginia tech scholar scholarship! i’m so excited! does anyone know if that has any correlation to admission to university honors?</p>

<p>I don’t think so. I am honors eligible, but haven’t been accepted to the honors program yet because of transcript issues. I should find out about that by April 25.</p>

<p>My student also received the $5000 scholarship. Very unexpected. And sweet.</p>

<p>Did you have to complete the FAFSA to be awarded that scholarship?</p>

<p>TNmagnolia - can you tell me how you were notified…</p>

<p>Thanks…and congrats…</p>

<p>I’m curious, how many of you that received the VTSS are OOS?</p>

<p><---- OOS. got the scholarship</p>

<p>Has anyone heard anything about University Honors?
The website said acceptances will be sent out in early April…
I wonder if they send rejections as well?</p>

<p>My daughter also received the Virginia Tech Scholar Scholarship. Unexpected and welcome surprise. Appears to be a one time merit award. She is out of state. Had submitted FAFSA for Stafford loan purposes. Was notified via regular mail.</p>

<p>i’m out of state and i got the scholarship. and i called admissions the other day and she said we would be notified on honors by april 15. does anyone know how competitive it normally is? and if you applied for both university honors and also honors housing is it possible to still get honors even if you don’t get the housing part?</p>

<p>Congratulations to the lucky recipients!! :)</p>

<p>didn’t get one in NY … congrats to those who did though</p>

<p>We were notified by a letter in the mail.</p>

<p>Hi,
Is anyone willing to share your stats for the merit awards… Congrats to all… Still hoping my son gets one…</p>

<p>Thanks…</p>

<p>I have some questions about this award as well, if those awarded don’t mind sharing the information.</p>

<ol>
<li>Did you have to apply for financial aid at VT to receive this award?</li>
<li>When did you get this award in the mail (I live in Idaho so could it still be in the mail??)?</li>
<li>My VT stats are 4.0 UW/ 4.2 W; 36 math ACT and 35 english ACT. Do you think I qualified for it?</li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>oops, forgot another question:</p>

<ol>
<li>For those who received this scholarship, were you also admitted to the honors program?</li>
</ol>

<p>Apparently not.</p>

<p>bump???</p>

<p>My DD got the Dean’s Scholarship for engineering. She is instate with 4.24 W GPA and is a legacy with lots of community service, leadership and awards. She did not qualify for honors (just barely w/1340 SAT). She is really excited and honored and is choosing between the e-school at UVA and VT.</p>