Visiting UA in April, trying to decide UA vs USC or Clemson (any advice?)

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>My son was accepted to UA (and the honors program). We haven’t visited the school yet (we are visiting at the end of April, will have about a week before making a final decision). He’s also accepted at University of S Carolina, Clemson (where my older son goes), and UConn. Pretty sure he wants to come south, so though UConn is a great school, I think it’s lower on the list</p>

<p>I had a few questions - sorry if they seem random…lot of questions, trying to decide. When we visit in April, we also plan to see USC and Clemson again - we’ve been to both of those schools, never been to UA</p>

<p>Since he hasn’t accepted yet, he didn’t apply for housing. Is he going to get a bad choice if he puts his application in at the end of April? We didn’t want to send in an application yet, part of it was not refundable.
He doesn’t think he’d want the honors dorm (he heard that the other dorms were more of a “doors open” environment which appealed to him more)</p>

<p>He’s interested in sport management - looks like at UA, that’s only available as a graduate program. Any thoughts? Would this make the other schools a better choice? The masters program at UA looks good, but I guess he would need to study business as an undergrad and then go for a masters? (The scholarship he’s offered at UA makes it look like very nice)</p>

<p>Any recommendations on what hotel to stay at when we come? </p>

<p>Also, we signed up for the campus tour, but I heard that the honors college could give a more in-depth tour. What do they cover, and should I try to arrange something with them instead of the general tour?</p>

<p>(We’re from New Hampshire … I’ve already read plenty of posts on culture/fitting in, so I guess I don’t need any more information on that)</p>

<p>Thanks for any info - from reading these threads, sounds like people love UA, we’re looking forward to visiting</p>

<p>David</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I would reconsider not being in an honors dorm, unless he wants to share a room, and won’t mind the possibly more noise/distraction that can go on in standard doubles where kids keep their doors open.</p>

<p>Honors kids also often keep their living room door open if they’re in their living rooms and they don’t mind others stopping by.</p>

<p><<<<
He’s interested in sport management - looks like at UA, that’s only available as a graduate program. Any thoughts? Would this make the other schools a better choice? The masters program at UA looks good, but I guess he would need to study business as an undergrad and then go for a masters? (The scholarship he’s offered at UA makes it look like very nice)
<<<</p>

<p>I don’t think he could get hired into a full-time position w/o a grad degree. So, I don’t think that makes other schools better. </p>

<p>And, if he has enough AP credits, he probably could the University Scholars program and get his masters at the same time. </p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Not “instead of” the campus tour…have them supplement the campus tour. Send an email to Susan, give the date/time of your campus tour, your son’s stats, and his major, and she’ll set up the rest of the day. </p>

<p>BTW…what day of the week will you be touring (hopefully NOT a Saturday…faculty, the HC, etc aren’t really available on weekends. </p>

<p>In the email to the below listed Honors College people, include: •Student’s name and contact info
•Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.
•GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)
•Likely majors
•Career interests (including med, law, etc)
•Anything particular that you want to see. If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, the TV or radio stations, the B-school or what-have-you, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment</p>

<p>Susan Alley
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
susan.alley AT ua.edu</p>

<p>Neil Adams
neil.adams AT ua.edu</p>

<p>They will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. They do an excellent job and work very hard. </p>

<p>Apropos to your question about sports management, when we visited UA for the first time back in 2010, my son (now a senior at Bama) had an interest in becoming a sports agent. In preparation for his meeting with us, President Witt had picked up on this tidbit by reading e-mail correspondence I’d had with Dean Sharpe. </p>

<p>At one point during our meeting with the President, Dr. Witt casually said, “Son, I understand you’ve got an interest in being a sports agent some day. First we’d get you involved with our intercollegiate athletics program. Then, if you’re interested, I’m sure you realize we have deep relationships with Major League Baseball, the NBA, and the NFL.” Dr. Witt then leaned forward, looked my son right in the eye and said, “So, if you’d like to do an internship with one of them…I’m sure that wouldn’t be a problem.”</p>

<p>I nearly fell off my chair and was ready to matriculate myself! Hope this helps. :)</p>

<p>lol…wow!</p>

<p>Hi mom2collegekids. Thanks for the info - our regional recruiter asked me when we are going, and asked some of the same questions. Sounds like the honors folks are quite accommodating, so we’ll definitely contact them (I suspect the recruiter is working on setting something up)</p>

<p>Regarding the open door, when the recruiter was describing dorms to us, it sounded like if you are in an honors suite, it was more like individual apartments - we got the feeling that it wasn’t easy for people to just “drop in”, so my son thought it might be a better experience in a different type dorm. I guess we will have to see and judge for ourselves. </p>

<p>Any feedback as to what will be available if we send in our application at the end of April?</p>

<p>As for when we are going, it would be Thursday apr 24. </p>

<p>Malanai - wow that sounds pretty amazing :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback - any hotel recommendations?</p>

<p>We’ve always enjoyed staying at the Wingate. About 10 minutes from campus.</p>

<p>As for the dorms, my son lived in an Honors suite for 2 years. He loved the privacy it afforded (when needed) and never found it to be a deterrent to dropping in.</p>

<p>Hope you enjoy your visit! We have stayed in the Hampton Inn 600 Harper Lee Dr, Tuscaloosa, AL.</p>

<p>"Regarding the open door, when the recruiter was describing dorms to us, it sounded like if you are in an honors suite, it was more like individual apartments - we got the feeling that it wasn’t easy for people to just “drop in”, so my son thought it might be a better experience in a different type dorm. I guess we will have to see and judge for ourselves.</p>

<p>Any feedback as to what will be available if we send in our application at the end of April?</p>

<p>As for when we are going, it would be Thursday apr 24."</p>

<p>If you want to be in an honors suite you have to START in honors. You can’t be “non-honors” and then later change to honors. </p>

<p>The honors and non-honors super-suites are like apartments…4 students to an apt. I’m not sure that was made clear. So, it’s not like an “individual apt”. Your son would be sharing with 3 other students, but have his own private bedroom (so it’s like a 4 bedroom apt). The hallway door opens to the Living Room and that door can certainly be left open when a student is there and wants “guests”. </p>

<p>Since the Presidential Residence Hall II is opening in the fall, I don’t think it will be that hard to get nice housing…however, the nicer housing (honors/non-honors) are the suites (either the Super-suites or the suites like in Burke), so they’ll likely get picked first.</p>

<p>However, even if your son isn’t happy with his “first pick”, he can wait til things settle down in the late spring -early summer and trade (after some kids decide to move off-campus or go elsewhere). </p>

<p>I second the Hampton Inn on Harper Lee</p>

<p>OP I would look at the UA housing web site to get some views of housing, and you can call housing directly to get some feedback from them on housing availability if you wait until your visit. My DD is a new student fall 2014, and we are finding room-mates a few different ways - there is a parents FB page for UA parents and also for UA parents of class of 2018, and a student FB page for class of 2018 (over 1100 students there last I saw; DD put in for that connection yesterday and once administrator approves her for the closed group, she can start a room-mate search).</p>

<p>I do not know if someone who has priority with initial room selection day and time (May 1) can ‘pull in’ a student who did not get their housing application and deposit in early (Oct 1 was the beginning of this action). So for example, a priority person lists room-mates when he does his initial room selection after the process begins May 1. Check with housing about this.</p>

<p>As mom2CK said, you cannot go from non-honors housing into honors housing the next year - you have to start in honors housing. Ridgecrest south, east and west will be 90% freshmen - (I called housing a few days ago). IMHO I would say try honors housing; can always move into another the following term or year. If you have cost constraints and need to keep on a budget, make sure to look at the differences on housing prices.</p>

<p>UA has an alphabetical long list of recommended local hotels (<a href=“http://www.parents.ua.edu/accomodations”>www.parents.ua.edu/accomodations</a>) - including phone numbers.</p>

<p>Get ready to learn what you can on-line because you will be very impressed with the campus and student body, faculty, etc. Most say the best dorms they have ever seen. Look at the stats re OOS. They don’t just come here for football…</p>

<p>I’ve stayed at Wingate (like a lot); Holiday Inn Express (conveniently close and like); and Fairfield Inn (adequate, a bit noisy, and can you find that driveway off the hiway?! good luck to you…).</p>

<p>I like the Wingate but if you want easy access back and forth from hotel to campus, it’s a bit too far away for my taste. There are so many closer venues. And, if you go to VRBO, there are condos for rent as well if you need more space (another bedroom, etc).</p>

<p>If you collect Hilton points I definitely recommend the Hampton Inn on Harper Lee. If you prefer ICH points, the Holiday Inn Express is also very nice. I have stayed several times at both. They each have very nice, clean rooms and free breakfasts. Both are very close to campus. </p>

<p>Microtel out by Target (forget the street) works and a couple of different ways to get to the school. It is no frills, but close to food choices. If it is available and in price range staying at the on-campus property saves the headache of driving back and forth. </p>

<p>Microtel has a points plan too…I love Microtel; have stayed in one at Auburn and in Madison WI multiple times.</p>

<p>Malanai…
May I ask what your son studied? Is he still interested in becoming a sports agent?</p>

<p>NHDavid…
I am from NH as well! I visited last November and it was an incredible experience!</p>

<p>Hi JCooch. My son is a dual major: Marketing and Telecommunication & Film. He no longer wants to be a sports agent (though he loves sports). His passion is film making now.He’s loved Bama and has had a phenomenal 4 years there.</p>

<p>I am a Telecommunication and film major fall of 2014!</p>

<p>I am 99% sure Alabama is my choice. My family has made the required housing and enrollment deposits…</p>