VT chances

<p>I'm out of state from Rhode Island
My Class Rank is 24/400
GPA- 3.65 UW 4.1 Weighted
SATs- 620 Math 580 CR 660 Writing
Not quite what I expected/wanted, but still waiting for my June scores.
Captain on a varsity sports team.
Worked since 10th grade
National Honor Society</p>

<p>Looks good to me. If you want engineering though, I’d expect that math should come up quite a bit. VT is very numbers-oriented so GPA and SAT scores are very important.</p>

<p>about what math score should I get for engineering?</p>

<p>Hmm, don’t hold me to this but upward of 650. There seem to be an awful lot of math courses to take in engineering, so it should be one of your strengths.</p>

<p>The REQUIRED math score is 600 minimum for engineering- this is the official number from admissions. Of course, the higher the better. The other requirement for engineering is that you take Physics in high school. It is not a requirement that you take AP, but I got the impression that they look more favorably on those who do, and particularly those who get a high grade in it.</p>

<p>My son and I just returned from visiting VT, and we were told in the engineering discussion that they are looking for a 700 on the math.</p>

<p>Mit told us on a recent visit that they will look at anyone who has a 700 as well. So the difference is what schools would like and what they get to choose from and then who actually shows up in September. MIT will have plenty of 700+ to look at. Virginian Tech, not so much. </p>

<p>American Society of Engineering Education collects data on the test scores of admitted Engineering Majors. For the 2008 academic year the Virginia Tech admitted engineering pool 25% to 75% Math range was 630 to 700. Only 25% of admitted students had math scores in excess of 700. Another 25% had Math SAT below 630. </p>

<p>Before you get discouraged by what college says, or the stats of the applicants, take a look of the stats of those were admitted or who actually enrolled. Each group will have lower and lower stats. Someone with a 700 is probably applying to MIT plus 15 other top schools. They might be admitted to Virgina Tech, but they will enroll at MIT.</p>

<p>While a 700 in math is certainly going to help, I don’t think that not having one would disqualify you from getting in (not that you’re implying that it would.) I’d be surprised if a 650 in math with a good CR score and great GPA didn’t get in.</p>

<p>Thanks, I’m relieved to hear that less than 700 math score doesn’t mean he’ll be rejected by the engineering school (he currently has 670, but plans to take both the SAT and ACT in the fall). My daughter just graduated from VT this spring with a double major in business and music. We love the school and were impressed with the engineering department.</p>

<p>A retake can’t hurt. Hopefully he gets in, the engineering here is really good. If he’s got a high reading score and really solid GPA I think he’ll be really competitive.</p>

<p>My son had a 600 math score and slightly lower GPA than OP. He was accepted for engineering at VT (OOS - will attend), Penn State CP, Clemson, Rutgers, Delaware and a few others. Hope this helps.</p>