VT for Math and Physics? Data Science?

Virginia Tech seems to be most known for its engineering program, but what about math, physics, and the growing field called “data science.” Anyone have any opinions on these programs? Strengths, weaknesses, things to consider? any feedback would be helpful. TIA

They have a relatively new program called “Computational Modeling & Data Analytics” that blends math, statistics and computer science. Seems really cool. My son who is interested in data science will be exploring it further. https://www.ais.science.vt.edu/programs/cmda.html

My son has applied to the CMDA program with a physics track. It’s one of the few “big data” undergraduate programs in the country right now. It’s s new major and they are graduating their first cohort this year. From what I understand, Google and Amazon are eager to hire these students as soon as they graduate. With the new Amazon facility coming to NOVA, Va Tech is enlarging the program. My son and husband (who was a math major) met with the dept head over the summer and they were both very impressed.

My son has applied to the CMDA program as well and is also interested in the Physics track. We were really impressed when we visited last summer.