Waitlist Discussion - Fall 2019 Virginia Tech

@vtfan33 they called me while i as in school and the reception in my school sucks so i didn’t see the missed call till i got home…and by that time their undergraduate office closed so i couldn’t call them either. i’m gonna call them tomorrow morning tho and see what it was

hmm okay!! hopefully good news

let us know what happens!

haha nevermind it was a confirmation for a visit…was hoping it was better news

let us know what happens!

Reading through information about the waitlist history and offers, etc., I was wondering how many students were actually waitlisted and how many students actually received offers. The information states that there were 31,000 applicants and they expect 6,600 acceptances, however that does divulge how many students actually received offers and how many students were actually waitlisted. I would think they gave over 6.600 offers expecting some would not accept.

Does anyone know how to get this information?

i think you would either have to call them or email them, i’m not sure if they reveal that information.

@Teagilliam based on what I have read here or there, 19,000 to 20,000 admissions were offered. The normal yield is about 30-35%. I would say it all depends on the yield for how many waitlisted will be pulled off.

Anyone know when they start taking students off the waitlist? I heard April 26th- May 3rd. I feel like July 1st is way too long.

@fhs19sr last year it started coming out on the 26th i believe. it definitely won’t come july 1 though that’s really late and they’ll know well before how many spots they have

in 2016, they also started april 26 so fingers crossed!

I hope so! I have hope that they will. Do you guys know if it will be through email or mail? And is it based on space in that major or just based on if the class is filled up.

I’m totally not mad that I was waitlisted… I’m actually super stoked because it means I have a chance. I really hope we hear something back soon.

@fhs19sr i think it is based on major, that’s why they start pulling before may 1st. it is either through email, call, or mail!

Thanks everyone! Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist. 8 days till decisions supposedly come out(:

Does anyone know exactly how they will notify people that they’ve been accepted after being on the waitlist? Or does anyone at least know how they notified people last year? I know it will be either by email, mail, or call, but it would be nice to know exactly which one since I’ll be out of the country all of June so I need to know what to check

My stats:
Engineering - waitlisted
In-state (NOVA)
4.4 W GPA
1400 SAT
Good essays (I think they were good; the word limit made them hard to write)
Strong ECs

So someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think it should be earlier than June that they start taking people off the waitlist. My question is… I know people are saying “pulling” so what does that mean like only some people find or is it between April 26th-May 3rd. I did hear that this was the most competitive year for VT and the gpa was about a 4.7! Don’t let this bring you down though… I know this was Kinda degrading for me but I still have hope!

@fhs19sr Where did you hear the gpa was 4.7?

A friend who went to students day. They said it was the highest person that applied.

The “average” GPA was 4.1 and the average SAT was 1320.

https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2019/03/unirel-2019-admissions-pool.html

Has anyone heard from the admissions office today? Last year the first of the students to get off the waitlist heard back on 4/23/18.