Washington & Lee Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thank you for this thread! Are there any international applicants on this thread? My son is one. He received a letter saying because of the distance he will be evaluated for selection in the second phase, results of which will be available mid-February. Anyone else got such a letter? Also what is the date for the Johnson weekend this year?

Does anybody know if you are allowed to take any guests to the Johnson Finalist weekend? I assume only the kid can come.

1 Like

Has everyone who applied to W&L gotten an invite to attend virtual Comm-you-nity event?

We did. Seemed odd at this point in journey.

4 Likes

Yeah. Looks like they have sent it to all.

The language is very curious. Similar to the language other colleges use after accepting the student!

For someone for whom W&L is a hard reach it seems almost seems like the song: ā€œKilling me softlyā€ :smile:

3 Likes

This whole admissions cycle is killing us softly! It was so different two years ago with my son who didnā€™t have as great of a transcript. Now you need to have started a nonprofit during pandemic.

4 Likes

Yeah. I hear international people pending from last two years are applying this year. Has been crazy difficult for international folks like us. Has it also become difficult for US citizens?

Did you get your answer to this? The weekend is only for the kids. The kidsā€™ schedules are full!

In the past, parents were strongly discouraged from coming to Lex. However, due to time and logistics, I know a few parents who accompanied their student and stayed for the weekend but kept away and just did some self-tours of the area.

There are just a lot of schools accepting at least half of their freshman class through Early Decision, which favors those with more money. Frustrating.

Trying to understand this. If a family does the NPC and decides a school is affordable, unless the financial aid package comes back differently, why couldnā€™t they also apply ED?

Itā€™s a financial gamble with no margin for error for some families. My husband is in ministry and the finances can get wonky. Does school guarantee to match NPC? Can I get out without consequence (to student or high school in future) if not?

Got it. My understanding was that an ED acceptance could be turned down with no ramifications if the financial package was not in line with the NPC.

1 Like

@PAMom24 and @cltrising

My understanding from what Iā€™ve read on CC is that one can back out of an ED acceptance without consequences if the NPC is not met. But the NPC is NOT a guarantee; it is an estimate and can be inaccurate if your income is not fairly consistent and straightforward.

Personally, if a school was my kidā€™s #1 and it was only affordable if our NPC was met, I would contact the financial aid office and request a financial pre-read before applying ED. Make it clear that you will apply ED if it is affordable so they do not feel you are wasting their time. Not all schools will do this (especially for non-recruited students), but some will and it is worth asking IMO.

Edit: Anecdotally, Iā€™ve been told by several families that the W&L financial aid office has been wonderful to work with and the need-based aid has been generous.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure my daughter received this I will have to check.

1 Like

anyone know when RD decisions come out?

The website says by April 1. Looking at the last couple yearā€™s release dates they were on a Friday before April 1. So my GUESS would be 3/24, but maybe you will get lucky this Friday 3/17. It is St Patrickā€™s Day, afterall! :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover:

Deadlines | Washington and Lee.

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

If I recall correctly, the Johnson winners find out the week before the RD decisions. But I donā€™t know if that will be the same this year.

1 Like

The Johnson winners will be notified at 8pm est tonight.

1 Like

Good luck! :blue_heart: :white_heart: :blue_heart: :white_heart: