Weather for driving back

<p>Poor Mesquitegirl!<br>
Glad to hear you and your friend are physically okay, but it sounds like you had a heck of a night. We did hear about the 9 car crash and wondered if it involved any students trying to get back to campus. I hope there aren’t any more incidents!</p>

<p>wow mesquite girl i saw accidents on I-20… so glad you are ok. again…if anyone’s kid gets into bham but cant get a shuttle to T-town please pm me and we can start coordinating a dorm room at uab…son’s floor is an honors floor and he could probably get a few to sign in visitors. governor has declared state of emergency and told people not to be on roads so not sure if that will affect shuttle runs…they may not be allowed to run</p>

<p>MikeW you may want to call ADOT and get conditions of road before you leave MS 1-888-588-2848 or check this link: <a href=“http://aldotgis.dot.state.al.us/RoadClosures/[/url]”>http://aldotgis.dot.state.al.us/RoadClosures/&lt;/a&gt; (it may take a few tries to get it to open)</p>

<p>We are buried in snow…this is by FAR the most snow we’ve ever gotten…usually we just get enough that the lawn is almost all white. Now, we can’t see where the lawn ends and the street starts. It’s a full blanket of snow.</p>

<p>My kids are still home, and they stayed up all night playing in the snow. LOL I have no idea how they’re going to get back to campus. If this keeps up, I think Wednesday classes will be canceled and (hopefully) by then, it will be a safe trip. Thank goodness the car they’re bringing back to campus is 4 wheel drive. </p>

<p>I sure hope this all is ok by Friday when my nephew arrives from Calif. I hope this doesn’t cancel/hurt CSDay!</p>

<p>Oh my gosh, mesquite girl! So glad you’re safe. What a nightmare!! it was stomach-clenching just reading about it!</p>

<p>Wow! MikeW sorry to hear about your car but hopefully you are warm by now!</p>

<p>MesquiteGirl: I had heard about that accident; so sorry to hear that happened to you but at least your OK now. I had an accident on ice back in NJ about 10 years ago; I totally respect the ice! Hope you’ve warmed up!</p>

<p>M2CK: when I was driving back yesterday I was thinking of you since I had heard that Huntsville was in the sweet spot for the heaviest snow. Glad your boys had fun :)</p>

<p>Uggggg!! Just called Crimson Ride…recording says it will not run today at all but will run tomorrow…flight not cancelled!! Gets in at 8:50 found out to other SoCal errs will be there too. Keep you posted</p>

<p>bassettmomma… let me know if can help</p>

<p><strong><em>Now, we can’t see where the lawn ends and the street starts. It’s a full blanket of snow.</em></strong></p>

<p>And this is why we in the Midwest line our driveways with reflective lollipops before Thanksgiving. I’ve got to think that if you don’t have to drive in it, all that snow is a nice change of pace. I can see why even the big boys would be out playing in it. </p>

<p>D is still scheduled for her visit on Friday, which looks like it will be a bright, sunny day. We’re hoping all of the airport and road ice misery is a memory by then! In the meantime, I hope everyone is safe and exercising lots of caution. Ice is bad!!</p>

<p>Mesquite Girl: what an ordeal – I am so happy to hear that you and your friend are not hurt.</p>

<p>Mike W: best of luck for the rest of your journey, breaking down is not fun.</p>

<p>To the rest of the travellers, best wishes for a safe journey.</p>

<p>Mesquitegirl: So relieved to hear that you and your friend are physically okay. So sorry about the car but remember it is just a hunk of metal. You are safe and that is what matters! What a terrible ordeal, but thank-you for posting as a warning to others traveling in today. </p>

<p>Bassettmomma: Hope your son and the other students can get to campus, but I hope that they can make themselves comfortable at the airport. Check out parent56’s offer above, that might help.</p>

<p>MikeW: Glad that you are safe and hope that you can continue on safely (probably tomorrow). We traveled up from florida during hurricane like storms and a 20 hour trip turned into a 3 day trip due to really bad weather and hotel stoppages. Not fun, when you are pulled over on the shoulder, unable to visualize to drive and massive trucks are still doing 90!! Not to downplay your ordeal but I empathize. Please let us know when you arrive, we will worry till then.</p>

<p>Everyone else: I checked with my son and it is still like a sheet of ice down on campus, be careful if you have to go out.</p>

<p>malanai - belt left engine helpless!!! who knew! ; )</p>

<p>yep, we are here is the laurel inn. car is at the shop. should be ready by about noon.</p>

<p>all the ice is melted here. no snow.</p>

<p>MikeW: Check the road conditions before you travel, my son said bridges and some roads are closed. Might be better to wait out the storm and continue on tomorrow, if you can. Please be careful and get to campus safely. Let us know!</p>

<p>mesquite - ugh! Sorry to hear you were part of that pileup, but glad you weren’t injured. Here at home your half of the Metroplex is a mess this morning.</p>

<p>MikeW - there is never a good time for car trouble, but add it on to bad weather and trying to retrun to campus. The timing is absolutely lousy. Hope your trip ends uneventfully!</p>

<p>Good luck to all of those who are still traveling!</p>

<p>*I Googled “bleh” and learned that it’s an acronym for “belt left engine helpless.”</p>

<p>I think what you really meant to say was &!#@!!</p>

<p>ROTFL!
So glad you are safe in lovely Laurel, Mississippi, MikeW! Hope car is ready soon!</p>

<p>well, we are trying to look at the road closures link posted above and it is not working out too well. i dont know if it is the hotels bad connection or the site being overloaded. in either case, i am not getting much info.</p>

<p>the news here is not reporting on the weather much as the channels are from southern miss.</p>

<p>i will go check the local ttown news websites and see what they have to say.</p>

<p>the people here is laurel are really nice!</p>

<p>: )</p>

<p>the link sometimes works MikeW but its overloaded, saw that it had had 84K visits this am alone, try the toll free number and give them your route</p>

<p>MikeW: see my thread on UA’s latest weather advisory, gives some additional information.</p>

<p>From a friend posting on facebook: her driveway is melting and some roads are reopened, she doesn’t know about the bridges.</p>

<p>However, according to UA’s weather alert, there may be some refreezing during the late evening and nighttime.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Mesquite girl…</p>

<p>I had missed your earlier post! How frightening! </p>

<p>I get the feeling that Bama will not be starting classes on Wednesday</p>

<p>My son got up relatively early this morning, showered and went over to the Ferg to see if the post office was open. It was. He had gotten a package while on break. He said that the footing was not too bad. Of course, he probably wishes this all had been snow.</p>