Weighted GPA conversion issue

I am a rising senior, and I noticed that my school does not accept honors classes as part of your weighted GPA. I took many, many honors/accelerated courses all throughout high school. In fact, if they were included in my weighted GPA, it would increase by +0.25. Is this going to decrease my chances at all?

My high school accepts AP classes in the weighted GPA but not honors.

1 Like

Every school is free to use its own weighting system. This does not impact admissions. Colleges will either look at your UW GPA and/or reweight to their standards.

3 Likes

You’re fine. Some schools pull from the transcript like an Indiana. Some re do their own.

If you have good rigor and good grades, don’t worry.

It’s nothing you can control.

So many use so many systems - you can’t worry about it.

It’ll all work out as it should because the school will be able to evaluate your transcript in total.

This is where your class rank could come into play, since everyone at your school is on the same scale.

I have seen some crazy weighting systems where people end up with over 5.0 as their weighted GPA, which isn’t even possible most places. Looking at only weighted doesn’t really work when comparing between schools (hence them looking at unweighted, or re-weighting based on their own scale).

1 Like

MANY high schools (including my kid’s HS) do not weight GPA. It is a non-issue.

Colleges will look at the details of your transcript and will be aware of your course rigor. In addition, each HS sends a school profile with every transcript that details their grading system, levels of courses offered etc. so your GPA will be reviewed in the proper context.

I would pretty much ignore weighted GPA’s when you read them here. They are only meaningful when comparing to other students from your school and that’s it. Almost every school has a different weighting methodology and some have none.

4 Likes

My daughter graduated with a weighted 5.56, so….yes.

Same goes for the GPA on the Common Data Set, unfortunately. “Using 4.0 scale”, Princeton reports a 3.95. Maryland reports a 4.43, with 91.97% graduating high school with a 4.0. But only 66% were in the top 10% of their high school and 89.5% in the top quarter. So….ya…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.