Welcome to the Bluegrass State

<p>For those of you planning on traveling to Lexington, I want to welcome you to the Bluegrass State and let you know of some fun things to do while in the area. If you don’t have a room already, you may not find one. </p>

<p>If you are traveling from Alabama, you will probably take I-65 to Elizabethtown (Etown), and then travel East on the Gov. Martha Layne Collins Parkway (formerly Bluegrass Pkwy).
FUN FACT: Martha Layne’s granddaughter is a freshman at… you guessed it… Alabama!</p>

<p>Keeneland Racetrack is running this month, and most of the UK fans will go to the races in the day, before heading to Commonwealth Stadium for the game. Check the Keeneland web site for tailgating and post information. Dress is dressy casual for the races. The traffic on Versailles Rd. will be grid lock.</p>

<p>If the horses aren’t your thing, and you can get through the traffic on Versailles Road (pronounced Vur-sells), head to one of the Bourbon distillaries for a tour. My favorite is Woodford Reserve in Versailles.</p>

<p>Downtown Lexington is where the party will be after the game. There are plenty of places to eat, and hang out. </p>

<p>Commonwealth Stadium is home to the Wildcats. The stadium is surrounded by a huge parking lot, but you must have a pass to get on the lot. There are other free parking areas around campus, check UKathletics.com for info.
FUN FACT: Bear Bryant coached at UK before heading to Texas A&M and Alabama. Legend has it the athletic boosters gave him a watch the year the team won the SEC championship, and gave Coach Rupp a Cadillac. </p>

<p>I hope you have a wonderful time in Lexington, please post if you have questions. UK beat LSU a few years ago when LSU was ranked #1, so we always hold out hope. Don’t see that happening this year. </p>

<p>One last note… major Lexington streets have 2 names, one name inside The Circle, (New Circle Road or #4) and a different one outside The Circle. This confuses a lot of people, it’s just our little joke.</p>

<p>Catfan</p>

<p>What a thoughtful post!</p>

<p>Roll Tide, catfan! We are heading down for the game. We’ll be tailgating with our UK cousins and then sitting with Bama friends for the game. Shakers packed!</p>

<p>How nice of you to welcome the Bama faithful with this post! This is the spirit that my family loves so much about the SEC. Of course, since we represent 4 different SEC schools, we know that you can be rivals AND be gracious. Still, it always touches me when the opponent’s fans are warmly welcomed by the host team fans. Roll Tide and Go Wildcats!</p>

<p>I never thought of Kentucky as the South, but what a nice bit of Southern Hospitality! I have met many UK fans over the years as my city hosts the Final Four often, and we are always happy to welcome them to our fair city. Have a wonderful time at the game and keep up the gracious attitude us Southerners are proud of!</p>

<p>While you are there make sure you eat at Joe Bologna’s (120 W Maxwell Street). We toured UK last spring and this place was highly recommended and we were not let down. It is an Italian restaurant and you MUST get the breadsticks.</p>

<p>Thanks for the kind words. Everyone on Alabama CC is always willing to share their experiences, and I love to play hostess. </p>

<p>I also recommend and LOVE Joe B’s!! We are going there tonight, and hope my DD and the Alabama delegation she is bringing with her will be in town in time to join us. </p>

<p>2 more FUN FACTS:</p>

<p>UK had the first football team of any SEC school</p>

<p>and UK quarterback Jalen Whitlow is from Prattville Alabama</p>

<p>Roll CATS! (my house divided cheer)</p>

<p>Is that why your name is catfan? I just thought you liked cats! :)</p>

<p>I love your cheer btw.</p>

<p>As a UK alum with a 'Bama freshman, I LOVE this post! Haven’t lived in KY for 30 years, but can definitely recommend Joe Bologna’s, too! Go CATS and Roll Tide!</p>