Well Engineers, the Fujitsu or the Toshiba?

<p>The computer requirements for incoming Engineering freshman list the approved tablet pcs as: Fujitsu Lifebook T900 and the Toshiba Portege M780. </p>

<p>Could anyone lend any knowledge as to choosing one?</p>

<p>I am leaning toward the Fujitsu because it seems to be the most advanced. But, I am skeptical of performance with its first generation multi-touch screen. Should I risk a perpetually slowing computer just for this feature. The Toshiba looks solid as well but no multi-touch. I'm torn.
With the changing curriculum at VT, to integrate these new "learning tools", which computer will serve me the best? There is a ton of required software and I am trying to think 4 years down the line at performance and speed.</p>

<p>The Fujitsu is far more widely used than the Toshiba.</p>

<p>Realistically though, you may be better off buying a normal laptop and then buying a separate external tablet pad for an extra $100 or so. No classes aside from the introductory freshman engineering classes utilize the tablet capabilities.</p>

<p>If you’re going to buy a tablet PC (which the people here will tell you not to do and for good reason) buy the toshiba. Way cheaper from what I’ve seen. Stay away from the HPs because the track pads suck and they’re worse than typical HP laptops. The only plus is the fact that they get warm enough to set your lap on fire if you use them long enough.</p>

<p>Feel free to spend a ton of money on a tablet PC only to regret it after two semesters. You should be smart and do what we recommend: get a cheap-ish laptop, a usb tablet, and build yourself a nice desktop computer.</p>

<p>Problem with that is the minimum requirement thing. If I get a laptop that meets every requirement except for the touch screen, but I buy a separate one, does that still count? I’d like to still be eligible fora loaner laptop if mine breaks, and the free computer fixes from the school.</p>

<p>I did some research on the various options and getting the USB tablet and a nice regular non-tablet laptop definetly seems more reasonably. The problem with tablets is when you buy a tablet you sacrefice having a high performance laptop. However, HP came out with a new elitebook that seems like amazing!
[HP</a> EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC overview - HP Small & Medium Business products](<a href=“http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-3955549-4145567.html]HP”>http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/321957-321957-64295-3740645-3955549-4145567.html)</p>

<p>This elitebook is a tablet that seems to have amazing performance also. It comes with an i5 and if you customize it, you can get a i7 processor as well. It is an elitebook so it is business and industry grade and built like a tank. If you can afford it, this laptop is amazing once you upgrade it.</p>

<p>Just to clarify vtFann, both the Fujitsu and the Toshiba can come with the i5. There are still some issues that make it less desirable. Personally I just like having a keyboard available at all times, and some other things.</p>

<p>Funny story: I’m having to take the exit surveys at VT since I’m graduating in a couple weeks, and one question was what the condition of our tablet PCs were after four years.</p>

<p>I described mine in meticulous detail, and the condition was rather poor considering the 3 rounds of buckshot I put through it about a year ago.</p>

<p>If I don’t buy my laptop through the bookstore, will it be a hassle to get service for it? Is it worth going through the bookstore just to have access to the loaners and repair services?</p>

<p>Yeah, I actually think it is worth it unless you’ve got the cash to drop on another computer if yours breaks. I had a 3 year warranty that I ended up having to use (I think) 4 times. Supposedly they make them better now though.</p>

<p>So even if I decide to follow the advice here and get a non-tablet laptop and a usb tablet, I should still buy everything from the bookstore? Do they offer a good selection?</p>

<p>If you’ve got the money for a tablet PC you might as well go ahead and get one, it’s just that they’re expensive relative to regular notebooks. And you can get on the bookstore’s website and see the selection, I think.</p>

<p>Just as an interesting aside, Chang was complaining about Tablet PCs the other day, since most students in his class become distracted and surf the web, whilst still able to claim that they’re taking notes using their tablets. He’s hoping that they get rid of the tablet requirement pretty soon.</p>

<p>They won’t. My class (2010, the first with the requirement) has constantly told them that the tablets are at best useless, and nobody listens.</p>

<p>Do you find the tablets useful & quite versatile for a student? Especially for an engineering student. I feel like by having the tablet PC, you won’t need notebooks anymore, and now have unlimited paper to practice problems on. You can carry these problems everywhere with you and such, and can take & interact with your notes much more. You can also take notes more efficiently and more effectively, I would say. Do you think the table PC is useful & versatile in that respect? And if it is, is that usefulness/versatility worth the tablet PC for “life” over simply getting the external tablet for just year 1.</p>

<p>If I have a cheap tablet, then what’s a good general computer to get? I assume I should still get it through the bookstore???</p>

<p>Precisely what is a cheap tablet? If you’re going to get them through the bookstore, you’re not really going to find any cheap tablets there with the new requirements that VT has unleashed, however if you get a tablet, getting one from the bookstore definitely is the most convenient. Chuy has stated before that your tablet will need fixing in time, and I have heard the same consistent testimonial from other students. </p>

<p>For a good general computer, I think the primary aspect of computing you want to focus on is the battery life, as any computer you might buy nowadays will likely fall into the category of at least a “good computer.”</p>