What are CC's negatives

<p>Every college has its problems, and most adminstrations aren't going to brag about their schools shortcoming, so for current students, and people with extensive knowledge of the school, what are CC's biggest problems?</p>

<p>I am very curious as well. I am also wondering about drugs on campus. Are they really as prominent as I've heard? Not a big deal to me, but it is something that I would want to be aware of.</p>

<p>from what I have heard drugs are not a problem per se. There is pot that is readily accessible but not everyone uses and many do not. The important thing is that there is no pressure to engage in drug use if it isn't your thing. Other more hard core drugs are out there but you have to know where to look. though CC may have a rep as a place where pot is everywhere, it isn't true there anymore than at other schools...maybe some CC students are just more open. Anyway, my DDs are planning to apply next year and they are not partiers. they have read the comments and are not concerned. Neither am I.</p>

<p>I'm a freshman and pot is everywhere...no pressure to use it. I don't think the atmosphere is much different than other LAC's. As for negatives, the only one I can think of are some of the physical aspects to campus. Yes, we have a beautiful location in C Springs...but we don't have a state of the art student commons or library or sprts/rec complex..they are coming but it may be a while. That being said...most of us wouldn't pick a school because of the buildings...the heart is the student and faculty bodies.</p>

<p>Agreed with Flyboy about the campus. It's definitely not as physically beautiful as similar schools in New England, but it's really not that big a deal (plus there are mountains in the background. tough to beat that ;)). Historymom is right about the drug use...readily accessible but no pressure whatsoever. I really don't think it's that different from any other LAC despite its stoner reputation. </p>

<p>Also, sometimes the block plan can be limiting. For example, my friend told me about one time in class when his professor was talking about a very long book (can't remember its name...sorry) and he said "oh I'd love to have you guys read this, but it's not really possible in 3.5 weeks". Don't get me wrong, I love the block plan, but there are times when it is just not possible to cover as much material as in a semester long course.</p>

<p>I get that-- D was wondering how it would be possible to read, say, The Brothers Kramozov is a couple of days. Her gut response: no way.</p>

<p>But I'm curious of how well the Big Gulp approach works in math or science classes. (D's interested in Bio or Neuroscience with a strong math minor )</p>

<p>Can anyone here comment about how well upper level math or lab science classes work? (I'm thinking organic chem and partial differential equations and the like.)</p>

<p>WayOutWestMom</p>

<p>My S is a freshman at CC. He's already had a block in Cal III. He said that it was a lot of time per day to spend in a math class, but he got an A. He's still in Jackson Hole skiing since CC doesn't start back until next week. I'll try to get more detail. I seem to recall hearing that labs are in the afternoon. I'll see what I can find out.</p>

<p>Here's the link that includes bio, etc. </p>

<p>Course</a> Descriptions</p>

<p>S has several close friends who are Juniors at CC. I'll ask him to ask them about the higher math and science courses and how the labs work.</p>

<p>Anecdotally, in 2002 Discover magazine listed the Top 50 Women in Science and three of them graduated from CC. Only MIT had more (4).</p>

<p>On the issue of how to get to read/study massive works. My S mentioned that with time management there really is a sufficient amount of time to get into something deeper than just the assigned material. The challenge is that the student has to want it enough to work it into the schedule.</p>

<p>From what S has related, the one at a time block system makes there no tug-a-war on the student's time so that it is easier to add stuff in than if you had 5 courses going on at once.</p>

<p>I'm also concerned about the block plan and foreign language. I've heard people from the school say that it works great.. but I really can't see this. I want to learn spanish, and I think I'd have to be continuously in a class (on a semester schedule, one class a semester) to become fluent. I don't know if I could learn Spanish only taking it one or two blocks a year. </p>

<p>note: I want to learn spanish, but not necessarily major in it.</p>

<p>O7Dad-- Thanks for the links and info. The tour leader on D's campus tour in November was a maybe pre-med and she did talk about how the science class lectures were 3 hours in the morning and the labs were 3 hours in the afternoon 2-3 days per week. She said it was intense but do-able. </p>

<p>I think D is more concerned about the upper level math,</p>

<p>And blindkite--re: foreign language. </p>

<p>There are numerous opportunities to practice your language once the class is over. There are foreign language houses where all the residents agree to converse in a particular language. Each house usually has resident native speaker or instructor. </p>

<p>I also believe you can keep your skills current with the adjunct classes--which meet once a week. I remember D's tour leader talking about how she had taken Japanese as freshman and she had not practiced, but wanted to brush up on her skills and continue on it 2 years later. She had moved into the Japanese House and had either some private tutoring (free!) from her former prof or had picked up the language again in an adjunct class before re-entering the language course sequence.</p>

<p>For some reason, I was under the impression that I would have class every weekday. Is this correct or if not how many days a week is about average for a class? Also, what would happen upon illness(of a week or more) or a problem that would require going home for some time? Would this lead to not passing the class?</p>

<p>For the standard block course you meet M-F starting at 9:00 am. An adjunct class is a quarter block and only meets a couple of days a week in the afternoon.</p>

<p>I'm not positive of the schedule for classes with labs.</p>

<p>Getting sick or getting behind is a real problem.</p>

<p>Maybe a current student can advise about withdrawing from a block, I don't know how that works.</p>

<p>If the need to go home isn't an emergency, you get Wed. noon through Sunday nite off as a block break EVERY 3-1/2 weeks. You can get home and back in that time and spend Wed. nite all Th., Fri., Sat at home and return on Sunday. That's 4 nights!</p>

<p>I am a current freshman and had a class with lab during the first block. Classes meet everyday 9-12 and our lab was usually a couple fo hours in the afternoon (2-4) a couple of times a week. One of my next classes is astronomy and lab is 1-3 in the morning. </p>

<p>Missing a day isn't too big a deal, but since classes are so small it's best to let professor know in advance or soon therafter because thee aren't too many excuses except illness to miss since you technically have no other committments 9-12am. A couple of kids I know had to drop a block because they were sick for a week.</p>

<p>1-3 in the MORNING???? I'll be sure to avoid astronomy... Parties at that hour are normal, school is NOT.</p>

<p>I'm so glad everyone's getting excited to come to CC though! I'm going out to visit SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D! So excited!</p>

<p>D is trying arrange a visit so she can sit in on a class or two and try the cafeteria food. </p>

<p>(She can't go on either accepted student weekend. First one makes her miss prom; second one is during senior reading period before finals. Plus CC's spring break and hers are the same time so she can't go then.) </p>

<p>So far--no joy. But we're negotiating.</p>

<p>She has already had one campus visit for her interview, but it was on a Saturday and there aren't classes on Saturday.</p>

<p>WayOutWestMom: I actually made the decision that I would rather NOT visit CC on the accepted students weekend. It's going to consist of lots of bright students who might want to go there, but I really want to meet the actual student population, see real classes, and eat real food. I want to see exactly what it would be like for me to go there next year!</p>

<p>WayOutWestMom,
My freshman son isn't that thrilled about the cafeteria food, but he loves everything else about school.
Incidentally, his second choice school (Macalester) had fantastic cafeteria food, but that certainly wasn't reason enough for him to pass on his first choice, CC.</p>

<p>BTW, as I post this (January 27) I notice it is 61 degrees in Colorado Springs. That's Colorado weather for you! (Of course, so is 1 degree).</p>

<p>Yup, today is ridiculously warm in C Springs. A couple of my friends and I were studying outside in t-shirts and sandals earlier.</p>

<p>Just a note about the food - a lot of the kids don't think it's that great but I personally have no problems with it. I guess it just depends on what you're used to at home. My parents aren't exactly gourmet chefs ;)</p>

<p>Hi there!</p>

<p>I transferred from CC at the end of last year and would like to weigh in here, if that's alright.</p>

<p>I actually found the drug scene to be very pervasive, and though there was absolutely no pressure, I had a difficult time finding things to do at night. I'm much more of a stay in pajamas and watch a movie girl than a party girl. If you don't drink or smoke pot, the parties really aren't fun. I remember a distinct incident at Winter Ball where I had beer spilled on me three separate times through the course of the night, and by the end of the dance the floor was so sticky that you could feel resistance every time you tried to take a step. If you do like to party, you'll have no problems. The people I'm friends with who do party have a lot of fun and really look forward to them. Contrasted with my current college, I can say that the party scene at CC is a much bigger part of campus life. </p>

<p>The Block Plan was great, and there are times when I miss it, but I think I personally prefer the semester system. I did fine until 6th block, at which point I was so wiped out it was a struggle to go to class everyday. It's not too big a deal if you miss a day, but keep in mind that everyday on the block plan is a week on the semester system, and missing more than a day can make it difficult to catch up. I ended up getting fairly ill right before spring break, and there just wasn't anything to be done about it. I took a day off, and then had to go back. As far as foreign languages go, I found learning Italian on the Block Plan to be far easier than on the semester system. You get so involved in it that it's impossible not to pick it up (unless you just don't do homework). As an English major, I can say that the reading was intense, and I had many days where I did nothing <em>but</em> read. We did Paradise Lost in two days and The Aeneid in three. But the discussion the following day is always phenomenal and the teachers are fantastic. I don't have any input for science. I did take a Psych class, and did not find the workload too overwhelming, but I was never in Chemistry, Biology, etc. </p>

<p>I'm from California, and I found the weather to be insane. It was really fun for the most part, and the snow days were awesome, but there was a huge blizzard the day winter break started and we were all snowed in for three days. The college was wonderful about it, and kept the dorms open and the dining hall running. I eventually got out when the highways opened back up. Some friends and I rented a car and drove to New Mexico and flew out from there. I don't know how long it was before the Denver Airport and the Colorado Springs Airport opened again. I doubt another blizzard like that will hit again soon, but it is something to consider. You have to be ready to deal with a whole lot of snow if you're coming from somewhere that doesn't have it. There were a few days were I felt really cooped up.</p>

<p>The dorms are okay, and the dining hall is alright, too. I definitely had night where I was sick of the food, but overall, they have a good selection, and always a salad bar and a selection of cereals if nothing else appeals to you that night. They also have a grille every night that serves quesadillas, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and grilled cheese. One night a week, the grille moves outside (if it can) and makes some sort of special. I still crave the chicken breast sandwiches they made from time to time. I was also a big fan of the frozen yogurt machines. Also, keep in mind that you are in the middle of a city, and you can go out and get something to to eat if you don't want to eat in the dining hall. There are plenty of affordable restaurants by campus. My dorm room was fine, I was in a double, and it bigger than I thought it would be. If I could be really, really picky I would wish for carpet. Those tile floors get cold in the winter :) </p>

<p>Overall, I would absolutely recommend CC to anyone who was considering it. The teachers and classes are wonderful, the people are very friendly, and the campus is great. I urge everyone to visit if they can. I'm not sure if I would have gone if I had visited before. It just wasn't a good fit for me. It was too far from home, too cold to be outside a lot of the time, and I had a hard time finding things to do. The groups I was in and the things I did, even the poetry club, had some center with partying. But I know there are people who will disagree with me completely. This was just my personal experience. My roommate found it to be a wonderful fit and loves it there. I don't think fit is something you'll really get a feel for until you visit. But I did make some great friends (who I miss terribly), still keep in contact with two of my teachers, and looking back on it, I'm really happy that I did go, because it gave me a lot of good experience. Visiting is the best advice I can give. </p>

<p>Good luck to all of you! I hope you get in!</p>

<p>Where did you transfer to, teacup?</p>

<p>I actually visited just recently and my experience there was quite similar to teacup's. Everyone I met did drugs (to various extents) and while I didn't see pressure to do them, it seemed as though there weren't great alternatives. I guess, I'd expect them on campus, but I like to see other things to do. I was also reading the college newsletter and the dean was proposing other ideas to help limit underage drinking, such as the school purchasing the keg and carding the drinkers. I think one of the main contributors to the strong drinking/drug culture is that the parties are rarely broken up. So there aren't really legal ramifications to doing it.</p>

<p>CC was actually my top choice college before visiting and now I'm having serious doubts about going there. I loved many things about the school, but there are a few issues that I don't know if I can overlook. The professors were great, block plan awesome, dining hall okay, freshman dorms cozy, but upperclassmen dorms were spacious. Many people were outdoorsy and would head out to ski or bike on the weekends.</p>