What Are My Chances of Acceptance at Cal Poly Slo?

Hi all,

I am a high school senior applying to Cal Poly Slo and am wondering if anyone could help me figure out what my chances of getting accepted are. I am applying to their engineering program (specifically computer science) which I know can be competitive.

Here are my stats:
1450 SAT (770 math, 680 reading/writing)
GPA 3.98uw, 4.25w
APs and honors classes + community college classes
(I know that Cal Poly doesn’t consider extracurriculars so I won’t include them.)

Any insight you guys can offer is greatly appreciated,
Thanks.

Cal Poly SLO does consider EC’s. Mainly hours/week along with any jobs that are major related. It is a minor consideration but they are still considered.

CS has the lowest acceptance rate at around 6%. Although your stats make you a competitive applicant, there is really no way to chance with such a low acceptance rate.

Have you calculated your MCA points: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/1694769-confused-about-mca-score.html
Check post #52

Make sure you apply widely and have 2 safety schools on your list. Best of luck.

Hello Gumbymom,

When I applied to Cal Poly SLO through their CSU application, there was no option to list any extracurricular activities or write any essays. From my understanding they evaluate applicants entirely off of their coursework and performance and standardized test scores.

Also - could you help me find where the 6% acceptance rate into CS is located? The best and most recent figures I could find on their website was an overall 22% acceptance rate into engineering.

Thanks for your help.

On the Cal State Apply application, there is some additional questions about EC’s for SLO.

Program Materials Section
EXTRA-CURRICULAR AND WORK EXPERIENCE
• Click on your program, then on questions tab.
• Work experience can be paid or not. Internships or volunteer programs are absolutely applicable to this section.
• Examples of applicable extra-curricular activities may include (but are not limited to) the following: sports
teams, official clubs, FFA programs, First Robotics and marching band.
• There is no area on the application to give details regarding these activities. It is simply quantified into hours per
week, with an indication of leadership roles and major relatedness.
• Cal Poly reserves the right to request additional documentation to verify your responses if needed.

Overall acceptance rate for the College of Engineering may be 22%, but SLO admits by major and there are different acceptance rates for each Engineering discipline with CS being the most competitive.

SLO publishes their projection/targets for each in-coming student class. If you assume a 33% yield for each Engineering major, then this is how you calculate approx. acceptance rate for each major.

FTF TARGET X 3/FTF APPS= 100X3/5297= 5.66%

https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/2018-2019%20Enrollment%20Targets%20and%20Projections.pdf

This is probably a better estimate than the overall 22%.