What are my chances of getting a good amount of scholarship money at University of Miami?

Hey guys…I really want to go to University of Miami, but it’s very expensive. If I end up going there, I need a good amount of merit money to offset the cost. Here are my stats:
UW GPA: 3.77
W GPA: 4.21
ACT Superscore: 33 (32 Composite–I know Miami uses Superstores)
Volunteer hours: 238
Volleyball all four years, started a club, had several leadership positions, lots of volunteering–went on 2-week mission trip…etc.
If you could give me some insight, I would appreciate it SOOO much! Thanks :slight_smile:

Your decently competitive for Miami’s standard merit scholarships that range from $8000-$24000 a year. Beyond that, your ACT is competitive for a couple of Miami’s premier scholarships wth full tuition for four years. If you can increase your GPA a bit (around the 3.8/4.25 range) you should be looking at some decent scholarship money. The premier scholarships are a bit hard to predict as they’re based on your year’s applicant class, but the general merit scholarships are pretty standard stats wise.

Note: I’m only guesstimating based on my experience with Miami scholarships from last year (class of 2021 (applied for Fall 2017)). I had fairly comparable stats to yours (bit higher GPA) and received a full tuition scholarship.

My son had very similar stats to you & he received $19,000/yr Presidential scholarship. Your WGPA & scores are a tad higher, (he had GPA 3.7/4.0; SAT 1390-- which is about a 31 ACT), so I’d use $19,000 as a benchmark. On top of that, he received some Financial Aid.

Remember – you are only eligible for Singer (full scholarships) if you apply EA or ED. I think the Presidential scholarships are given to all qualified applicants on a sliding scale.

Are there set SAT/ACT scores that one must have to be considered for the full scholarships at univ Miami? One website that had a net price calculator for U of Miami showed 1500 SAT to be considered for the full ride scholarships, however that seemed to be from about 3-4 years ago. Does anyone know if U of Miami invites students to the scholarship weekend who have below a 1500 SAT? Also, does anyone know:

1. how many full ride scholarships are given each year
  2. If one is invited to attend the scholarship weekend, does this mean they will get more scholarship money than they were already offered by Univ of Miami (in other words, does every student who is invited and attends the scholarship weekend, get offered more scholarship money after that weekend?)
  3. When are scholarship money awards communicated to applicants- with the acceptance letter or later than that?

My daughter will be applying Early Action (by Nov 1) and we are wondering when we will know if she receives any merit scholarship money and when we will know how much she is offered.

The Presidential Scholarships (with annual money up to $26k) are relatively easy for admitted students to get. I have read that up to 40% of admitted students receive merit money. They are awarded on a discretionary basis. My son got the top award and did not submit SAT scores when he applied.