What are your backup college choices if denied Fall 2011 admission to UW-Madison?

<p>Thought this might be interesting to students/families going through the application process.</p>

<p>Suggest a reply format like:
1st Backup Choice: University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
2nd Backup Choice: UW-LaCrosse
Home State: Wisconsin</p>

<p>1st Backup: Ohio State
2nd Backup: University of Maryland</p>

<p>Its looking like UW-Madison or bust for most…</p>

<p>I am now a freshman at UW however I was never sure if I would be. I had these alternatives ready. </p>

<p>1st Choice: University of Wisconsin Madison
2nd Choice: Minnesota-Twin Cities
3rd Choice: Louisiana State University (Cheap out of state, scholarship offers, beautiful Baton Rouge campus)
4th Choice: UW- Lacrosse
5th Choice: University of Oregon</p>

<p>Home State: Wisconsin</p>

<p>To be honest, I was shocked when I received such a large scholarship from LSU, I really didn’t even know that it was common for public state schools to give scholarships. Therefore my main recommendation would be apply everywhere!!! You never know what scholarship could be offered, or what change in heart could be had. So many great universities all over the country. With this said, If accepted to Madison… do come. Great school, great atmosphere, nice people, and the ultimate sense of what it means to be part of something bigger than oneself. Sounds corny but its true.</p>

<p>However, you have to consider quality when choosing schools to apply to. Not all state flagships universities are academic equals.</p>

<p>Power Rankings (I feel like a jerk):

1. Wisconsin
  2. Texas
  3. Washington
  4. Ohio State (Got a letter Hinting Acceptance)
    4.Pitt (Accepted)</p>

<p>here is a thought.</p>

<p>my d is a soph. at Texas. She was on her way to Wisconsin, and changed her mind at the last minute. Here were her other accepted top shoices. </p>

<p>1.Texas
2Wisconsin
3 Maryland
4Washington
5Penn St.
6Indiana
7Pitt
8 Colorado</p>

<ol>
<li>Columbia</li>
<li>Duke</li>
<li>Wisconsin</li>
<li>Wash U</li>
<li>Dartmouth</li>
<li>UCLA</li>
<li>UC San Diego</li>
<li>UNC</li>
<li>U Minnesota (Accepted)</li>
<li>U Illinois</li>
<li>U Texas</li>
</ol>

<p>Arbydan- Really? You would go to Wisconsin over Dartmouth, WashU, and UNC? Wow?!?</p>

<p>UNC and Wash U are not all that. Dartmouth would be tough to ignore.</p>

<ol>
<li>UPenn (ED)</li>
<li>USC/Rice/WashU/Madison/Stanford (I honestly like these all equally)</li>
<li>Michigan/Northwestern</li>
<li>Vanderbilt (If I somehow get accepted here and rejected everywhere else)</li>
</ol>

<p>Picking college is also based on “Holistic review”. Factors are:

1. Academic interest match
  2. Cost
  3. Fit</p>

<p>UIUC (Illinois)
Minnesota-Twin Cities
Virginia Tech
U Washington
Georgia Tech</p>

<p>(already accepted to madison though, so I don’t have to worry)</p>

<p>Bump it for the postponed…</p>

<p>University of Illinois at Urbana
or
University of Iowa (already excepted into honors and with a bunch of scholarships)
home state: Illinois</p>

<p>Wisconsin is definitely my top choice though</p>

<p>Son’s VERY random-changes every week-NJ</p>

<p>1) Wisconsin (such a reach we don’t discuss it)
2)Colorado
3) Colorado State (In)
4) Delaware
5) Univ Vermont (In)
6) Indiana (In)
7) Syracuse
8) Michigan State (In)
9) Purdue
10) Maryland
11) Ohio University (In with $)
12) Rhode Island (In)
13)Penn State</p>

<ol>
<li>UW-Madison</li>
<li>University of Minnesota, tied with…</li>
<li>University of Kansas (KU) (same cost as in-state Minnesota due to cheaper housing but you’ll have airfare to consider)</li>
<li>University of Nebraska</li>
<li>MSOE</li>
</ol>

<p>Accepted to, so far…
KU (My son received an answer within 48 hours of applying and it is a terrific school!Not only that, buy they sent him welcome gifts and a certificate of acceptance. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!)
MSOE with big scholarship</p>

<p>Still waiting to hear from…
Minnesota (applied in July)
Nebraska (just applied)</p>

<p>We are Wisconsin residents. </p>

<p>Personally, I think my son will be happiest at KU even though he doesn’t know it yet. They have already made a great impression on us from the campus tour to the way they treat the kids after they apply. The atmosphere is laid back outside of the classroom. The academics are just as rigorous as any other flagship school but the kids can also unwind and enjoy their college experience. We’ve known other kids that have graduated from there which is why we considered it and we have only heard great things. It’s competitive but in a healthy way. Lots of school spirit. I’ve heard that Nebraska is the same way. Similar in cost. Hence, the application.</p>

<p>Bumping for postponements.</p>

<p>1) Wisconsin (Still have not heard, even though I applied early October!)
2) UW-La Crosse (Accepted)
3) Minnesota-Twin Cities (Accepted)</p>

<p>UWapp- for future opportunities I suggest U of Minn over UW-LC. I notice no other locals with instate choices listed. I wonder if these students are posting on CC.</p>