What Can I Do to Make Myself More Attractive to Madison in the Year Ahead?

<p>A few thoughts on your intended essay topics - as a soon-to-be senior looking back on my admissions experience and a peer tutor that works for the UW Writing Center, here’s my advice on the essays: there’s a fine line between writing something creative, memorable, and decidedly “you” and relying on the information that’s already apparent on your resume. If you’re going to talk about your passion for genetics, try to refer to a particular experience in class/project/etc. that awakened that interest… a single event that means a lot to you, if you can. I’m not talking about the “epiphany” sort of moment that so many applicants choose to write about, I’m talking about something that you’re really proud of and would love to talk face-to-face with another person. Finds something specific that gets you excited about genetics (versus the entire field in general), connect it to something you’ve experienced in your own life, and work to impart that to Admissions on paper. Keeping your essay personal will help it to resonate with the Admissions counselor that will read your application.</p>

<p>I’d apply the same ideas to your second idea - remember to tell your story without relying on resume information. Redundancy will get you nowhere, but I think this sounds like it could be a really personalized and interesting topic. Your idea about sharing how you’re dedicated to becoming more outgoing in college is key to this topic - that’s an ideal moment to (essentially) sell yourself to the Admissions committee. Why you, and why UW? How will your attempts to become more outgoing as a college student benefit the UW student body? While this seems like a fairly imposing question, it really isn’t - this is where detail becomes key once again. Have you researched any student orgs/clubs that relate to the Genetics department or your personal interests? I’d suggest a little casual name-dropping to demonstrate that you’re aware of these opportunities for self-extension. You’re on the right track! Ask more questions if any come to mind.</p>

<p>It’s funny you should mention that because there was a little featured article/interview in my local newspaper about a native of my city who was competing in a Genetics club or something of that nature against other big-name schools and it definitely piqued my interest. I’ve forgotten the group’s formal name, unfortunately. </p>

<p>For the first prompt (“What can you offer etc?”): I understand what you’re saying and when I look back at my draft, I feel as though it is a little bit of a glorified list. I worry about writing the entire thing as a personal story, though, because I feel like it wouldn’t showcase my varied interests. These are a big part of what I think I can add to the campus community.</p>

<p>I actually planned for my essay on the second prompt to be the one about becoming more social (since there aren’t too many aspects of my academic career that I feel like I need to explain or make excuses for). I haven’t actually started writing this one, but I’ve got some ideas. The biggest problem is having someone read it over summer. Since I want to apply on the 15th, there won’t be a lot of time once school starts to get things done.</p>

<p>Thank you for your help!</p>

<p>Regarding your comment on submitting your application on September 15th, you can actually access the online application at 12:01 a.m. on September 1st, then complete and submit it that day. (You should of course write and edit the essays in advance so that you can cut/paste them into the online application).</p>

<p>Ok, Thanks. I will try and do it as early as I can. Now, on the website, where it asks me to create an account. </p>

<p>I’m assuming the account should be created in my real, full name? How can my recs be sure that their letters are being lined up with the right person?</p>

<p>If it helps any, I was accepted and not waitlisted with stats much worse than yours.</p>

<p>3rd in my class based on a Cum Laude system. 3.785 accumulative gpa and a 25 ACT.
Soccer 2 years
Track 1 year
Student Council 4 years
Bowling 4 years
Worked at a grocery store
Very little volunteering</p>

<p>I had good essays and good letters of recommendation though. I valued the essays as very important. See if you have a prestigious teacher, preferably english, that went to UW-Madison read over your essays because they would know about the University more. But having a teacher read the essays would be a good idea. Good luck, you should be fine.</p>

<p>How recently did you get accepted? Are you a current student? If yes, how do you like it there?</p>

<p>I applied in the Fall of 2010 meaning I will be a Freshman this Fall.</p>

<p>I don’t think you need to worry. I’ve been a lot of kids with 4.0’s, tons of extra-carriculars, awards, ect, who are unsure if they will be admitted. I was accepted for the honors program in the fall. I had a 28 ACT, 1880 SAT, a few clubs, some volunteering, but no sports. I did, however, take a gap year to travel and teach English, so that could have possibly increased my chances. Madison really isn’t that selective, especially to instate students. They have a 50% acceptance rate.</p>

<p>lily- UW is more selective than you think. ONLY 50% or so- not a sure thing. Everyone needs to be aware that there is a lot more to life than sports- colleges don’t consider them more important than other activities like HS students seem to.</p>

<p>Michigan also accepts about 50 percent.</p>

<p>Sports aren’t important? I always figured it showed you were involved in something. My parents were pretty adamant about me doing sports. I’ve qualified for state as an individual, so I hope that shows I’ve taken it seriously. I’ll admit that I could have been a little more involved in clubs and stuff, but sports for three hours per day, six days a week, is a pretty big time commitment.</p>

<p>Oh, side note: I’ve finished up my first draft of both essays, but they run a little long. How many words over the recommended 500 becomes too many? Mine are about 750 and 1000 words, respectively.</p>

<p>You sound like me except you want to be a doctor. I had similar ECs and not nearly as good a GPA or SAT scores, and well I’m a badger. Good luck, but I don’t think you’ll need it.</p>

<p>My #1 piece of advice about the application is BE AS HONEST AS YOU CAN in your essays. Don’t try to play yourself up, because they will see right threw it, and don’t be overly modest because you won’t sound impressive. Don’t try to have a single theme because that is stupid and cliche. Be honest because you are an interesting person and you have good reason to want to go to UW. if you make that clear, you’ll get in easy.</p>

<p>Make sure you follow through and get a 4.0 GPA, and decent scores on all your APs (4 or 5), and a good ACT score (27+). You aren’t a sure bet right at this moment, a lot of what you listed was projected. Even if you have average essays and recs, if you do well on your APs, ACT, and are tied for valedictorian, I don’t see why you shouldn’t get in.</p>

<p>A note about the essays: I don’t know if it was the application essays or some that I did for scholarships, but I’m relatively certain that you cannot run over 500 words. As in, the text box will literally not let you enter in any more words over 500. If you can, great. But I would make a 500-word version of both of them to be on the safe side.</p>

<p>UWRobi, you can, I did. Some apps are like that, but I remeber both mine were over</p>

<p>Okay, then that must have been a scholarship application. Still, double the word limit seems a bit excessive, especially given the amount of essays that admissions has to read.</p>

<p>Yeah, I think mine were like 505 and 530</p>

<p>@uwrobi I already have secured a 31 ACT, 5’s on self-studied Psyche and Human Geo, and a 4.0 up until the the time I apply (on Sept. 15th). Thank you for the advice, I will try to shorten my essays. Would you guys trust the forum on this site for proofreading or no?</p>