What Can I Do to Make Myself More Attractive to Madison in the Year Ahead?

<p>(Ugh. I apologize for this being so long. I didn't mean for it to be this way, but if you could, please hear me out.)</p>

<p>Hello, I am currently a junior at a Catholic School in Wisconsin. I am hoping to, at the very least, apply to Madison in the fall after I get my final test scores. Madison is especially intriguing to me because it looks a lot like a bargain, top-quality school that is in my own back yard. I haven't formally visited UW-Madison, but I know that they are the only school in the state with my major (Genetics) and, for that matter, are one of the best schools (Top 10 and above several ivies) for this major in particular. </p>

<p>I should say that I am currently a 4.0 student (unweighted) and on track to be tied for valedictorian. My school is smaller with just over 100 kids per class and does not give a class rank because the average GPA is around 3.5 unweighted or something and they don't want to hurt their kids' chances. I do track (4 years), cross-country (4 years-state qualified as an individual one year), environmental club (1 year), Medical Prep club (1 year), NHS (1 year), Volunteering over the summer at the hospital since before I was even in high-school, have done various school volunteer work and this year received the Bausch-Lomb Award. I took AP Psychology over the summer and will be taking the test in May. I may also take the AP Gov. and AP Biology tests but I would need to start self-studying right about now. I'm in Spanish 4 now and might take advanced Spanish over the summer or next year.</p>

<p>I haven't taken my tests yet but I got a projected 31-32 on my ACT from my PLAN score (That was last year and I will be studying through April) and I got a 202 on my PSAT (I really screwed up the math so I'm hoping for at least a 210 equivalent or better if I take the real thing.) </p>

<p>I'm kind of introverted and have dedicated a lot of time to intrinsic interests. I know it sounds lame, but I have been breeding guppies at my house for about five months trying to observe genetics and all that good stuff. I have also built two guitars over the past two summers. Not sure that these things can be utilized or not but I'm just throwing them out there.</p>

<p>So, I realize that my extracurriculars are a bit weak. I'm wondering what I can do to change that, or if Madison even cares. Would they be content with what I have and prefer I spend more time on getting my scores up, or do they want more involvement? Both? </p>

<p>I would really appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the issue. Madison seems like a great school, and I figure it might be my only chance to study undergrad genetics with a top-quality biology program unless I start hauling *** and get into an ivy. It's definitely important that I major in genetics because I think it's going to be the most relevant science of this century, and because I'm just that kind of "mad-scientist" personality that would dedicate himself to his work (read: "lock himself in his room with a microscope and shout mad-scientist cliches") because he believes he can make advances in it. I'm sorry that this was so long and thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t say your extracurricular activities are weak. You have 2 sports, volunteer and clubs. Make sure you do well on your ACT, set a score you want to achieve. Your grades you can’t improve, you have a 4.0. The only thing I would tell you to do is on your application talk about your interests in Genetics. Tell them about how you studied guppies genetics through breeding them, it shows you take initiative and when somebody is reading it may make it stick in their mind. You really should not have a big problem as long as you dont mess up the ACT. If you are valedictorian it will be hard to deny you entrance even though you may not have the biggest class size.</p>

<p>You look like a very strong candidate for UW-Madison. Good luck!</p>

<p>I was told that this year, the admissions rate is 57%. You are most likely at 98%, if you get ACT up to 33-34 range with your GPA. I think you need to beef up on AP classes. Get a few 5’s on them. With all that, you will have over 90% chance get accepted. Good luck and let us know how it goes.</p>

<p>You are more than solid, just keep up the good work. It sounds like your school doesn’t offer any or many AP classes since you talk about self studying two of the most widely available ones. You won’t be penalized if that is the case. Senior year AP test scores aren’t available before admission decisions so won’t be a factor. Are you going to have more than 1 year on those ECs by the time you apply? Depth in ECs is better than shallow involvement in more ECs.</p>

<p>So, what I’m getting is that GPA is disproportionately important to Madison than it might be somewhere else? I just started the clubs and nhs this year, so I will hopefully continue with them next year. Yes, the school only offers AP micro, English, and calc-all of which I will be taking next year. Do you mean to say that it will not be held against me if I don’t take as many AP’s or if I self-study but still take them? What about papers and letters, what do admissions at Madison like to see with those? Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions so far!</p>

<p>Have you visited the UW admissions website? It will tell you everything you need to know about the application process, essays, letters of recommendation and what they are looking for.</p>

<p>GPA, ACT scores and class rank when available are the biggest factors. I think that’s true mostly everywhere though at the most selective smaller schools everyone has great stats so other things become more important. Even without your school ranking your class, UW will know about the students that come from there and will know how to assess your GPA. And if your school offers limited APs, they won’t hold that against you. Does your school have honors classes and have you taken mostly honors? My opinion is you wouldn’t need to self-study APs for admission. If you want to do it, do it for your own personal learning and satisfaction and if you want the college credit.</p>

<p>But they also want solid essays on the application and solid letters of recommendation. Your guppie research can’t be listed as an EC but would make an interesting essay topic. I don’t think it’s lame, let some of that mad-scientest show through your essay. Adults will be reading your essays, not other kids. The guitar building is interesting too. I think your ECs and volunteering show you aren’t a social recluse.</p>

<p>Follow annoyingdad’s advice. His screen name is accurate- he will annoy you by telling you what you should do, just like your father would. He also gives excellent advice.</p>

<p>Cmon man, seriously? You’re worried about getting in? You’ll get your letter, and even though you will be fully expecting it, it will still be the greatest day of your life. Until your first day here. Then everyday becomes the greatest day. </p>

<p>You’ll get to wake up everyday a Badger. There is no better school in the world that mixes academics, athletics, and social events as your school does. You’ll go home for break and your friends will try to make arguments about how much better their school is than yours, and you could argue with them, but there’s no need, because you’ll almost feel bad for them, knowing that they will never get to experience your life.</p>

<p>Keep up the good work in school. I wish I was like you when I was in High School (same upbringing by the way, Catholic Memorial '08), but seriously, your situation is not worth worrying about. You’ve already punched your ticket to a world class institution, now go have some fun and enjoy life. </p>

<p>Message me if you have any questions man, good luck.</p>

<p>Nick
UW Madison Class of 2012
Nursing/Psychology
YNWA</p>

<p>Hello, so I wanted to give a little update on how things are going since February. I took the April ACT and got a 31, which disappointed me, but was within my range and to my understanding is still very competitive considering my GPA and classwork outside of school. Here’s the dilemma: I’ve heard from numerous sources that it would be better for me to apply early (on Sept. 15th) then to apply later and take the Sept-oct. ACT in hopes of scoring higher (can’t take the June one). I was hoping I could get some opinions on this. Also, I’m taking the AP psyche and human geography tests and I’m considering taking SAT II’s in Spanish and Bio. I still consider my weakness to be my ECs and that’s worrisome as I have yet to secure a job going into the summer. Tips? Thanks in advance, I really want to be thorough!</p>

<p>Your application date won’t change your acceptance/rejection. </p>

<p>Biggest tip- don’t obssess over the admissions process. </p>

<p>Do your best - schoolwork and on tests- and things will happen as they should. Learn for the sake of learning, not your record. Enjoy yourself as well.</p>

<p>Good advice, but I have heard of kids in my district who got 36’s and 4.0s and were rejected. I just want to make sure I do everything right to avoid that being me next year. :)</p>

<p>Keep up with your school work and start writing your essay early. Make sure have someone read it.</p>

<p>So far the accept rate is just under 50%. Now it depends if they go to the long waitlist.</p>

<p>Eek! I saw that a few years ago, it was 57% acceptance rate. Well, while I have a chance to ask (and I’m sure this is a stupid question, but I can’t find the answer on the site): There are two prompts, but do you write two essays, or just one? Thanks everyone for your help so far!</p>

<p>Yeah you write two essays but they are relatively short.</p>

<p>As for getting in, you have a great shot. I got in this year with a 29 and a 3.8.</p>

<p>Ok, so when I apply, my stats will look something like this:</p>

<p>White Male
Catholic School, In-State
Int. Major: Genetics (Pre-med track)</p>

<p>GPA: 4.0 uw
PSAT: 202
ACT: 31 (E: 33 M: 29 R: 34 S: 27) </p>

<p>AP Tests: Psychology (self-studied-no score yet), Human Geography (self-studied-no score yet) [My school offers very few APs, I’ve taken the most rigorous courseload offered–no study halls or anything like that.]</p>

<p>ECs:

• Environmental Club: 1 year
  • Medical Prep. Club: 1 year
  • NHS: 1 year (I’m going to list probably about 30+ volunteer hours under this)
    -Hospital Volunteering: 4 years (ER, Security, Vol. Office and Urology Dept. roughly 40 hours per year)
    -Varsity XC: 4 years (State-Qualified Junior Year)
    -Varsity Track: 3 years (Sectional-Qualified Junior Year in 1600m)
    -Various other small volunteer opps.
    -Guppy Breeding (if I can list this)
    -Guitar Building (if I can list this)</p>

<p>Awards:

• National Merit Scholar -Commended
    -Bausch and Lomb Science Award
  • All-State Academic Award
  • Various History Awards at my school that I will explain.
  • Other County/Conference Track and Minor School Awards</p>

<p>Recs: I think they will be pretty good, I’ve already asked an English teacher and a History teacher/XC coach and they both seemed enthusiastic.</p>

<p>Essays: The first one discusses my high-school niche and having varied interests, along with my passion for Genetics. The second seems more focused on my history, so I will talk about how I was the shy-guy and how I’ve changed and will continue to become more outgoing in college. </p>

<hr>

<p>LOOK HERE FOR MY QUESTIONS: </p>

<p>Ok, so the problems that I have are no work experience, few ECs and a bad ACT. Is there anything I can do about this over the next 3 months?</p>

<p>On applying and the ACT: I am planning on applying to CALS on September 15th (the first day I can). I will probably take the ACT again in Sept. and then send the scores in after I get them back. I don’t trust waiting because I’ve seen and heard that spots fill up FAST with the rolling admissions. </p>

<p>On recs: Do you think I should ask a science teacher for another rec, or my volunteer officer at the hospital? How important is the “who” the rec is coming from? Is it more important to have a quality rec, or one from a more influential person?</p>

<p>On essays: I am very confused about these. Please take a look at my intended topics and ask me if they are good for what is being asked. I don’t want to sound self-deprecating. Do you think talking about being a “lovable nerd” sounds that way? Is it better to list personal traits or tell a story? I am a good writer but I need some direction.</p>

<p>On work experience: Will it kill me to not have work experience by the time I apply? I have lots of volunteer experience. I can tell you that it wasn’t due to lack of effort this year, although it wasn’t big on my mind in past years. Teen jobs are at a 60-year low right now.</p>

<p>Thank You for your help! I visited Madison, sent them my ACT, and sent them my Nat. Merit Commended thing over the internet so hopefully they know I’m interested…even though they didn’t send me any recruitment stuff yet… :(</p>

<p>You are a strong candidate.</p>

<p>

UW’s 25th-75th percentile range is 30. A 31 is not “bad”. If UW is your goal, I wouldn’t worry about it. Two varsity sports and an assortment of clubs and hobbies are not “few” either.</p>

<p>

I think UW requires only one letter. Your writer should know you well and preferably in more than one context. Pick the writer you think will give you the strongest recommendation. If this is close, pick the writer in the most relevant subject, probably science in this case. Don’t use a non-teacher and don’t worry about “influence”. Its OK, even preferable, to suggest personal traits and examples to your writer if you think s/he can support them in his/her letter.</p>

<p>

Topics sound fine. Be honest and little bit self-revealing, but constructively so. Use humor if it is natural to you, otherwise avoid it.</p>

<p>

This is not something you need to worry about. Jobs are seen favorably but so is being an active member of a student community.</p>

<p>The “Catholic” school bit is irrelevant- Wisconsin public schools are usually just as good as the private ones. Your test scores and EC’s are good. Don’t worry, just continue to do well your senior year and write essays that show you want to go to UW.</p>

<p>Oh, I know. I was just throwing that in there because I thought it might explain why I had to take a mandatory Theology course every year or why the class size is so small.</p>

<p>Thank you both very much! The help I’ve been getting from this site has been very thorough and it really helps me to know where I’m at.</p>