What kind of fan?

<p>Everyone tells me to BRING A FAN. So...should this be standing fan? A small portable unit? Advice is appreciated!</p>

<p>Just get a box fan. They’re cheap and effective. Ideally your roommate will bring a box fan as well and you can put both of them in the window in alternate directions (so you get some air circulation going).</p>

<p>Yeah, get a box fan (or better two) that you can fit in the window.</p>

<p>Football. Oh, you mean the kind that circulates air? :slight_smile: </p>

<p>On second thought, due to all of my jumping and key shaking…same answer to that question :)</p>

<p>There was a huge fad in my dorm of buying the new portable air conditioners… sadly the school put a stop to it because they take a whole lot of electricity supposedly. If your school has not banned them I would look into one. The evaporative cooler kind are pretty cheap and work well in dry climates, the real ones will set you back $300 or so though.</p>

<p>My son and his roommate are each bringing a box fan. He is also bringing a small table size fan that tilts 90 degrees with three speeds, and then a really small one that can clip on a desk or bed rail.</p>

<p>I almost thought about buying a portable AC (not the window kind). I am pretty sure they are not allowed but I’d double check. </p>

<p>Anyway, but what I did was get a large box fan that would run at all times. And a smaller fan that would go on my desk/hutch pointed to my head when I sleep. That usually did the trick. My second year I got lucky and had a top floor window that always got all the wind so temps were able to stay in the 70’s. However in most dorms, prepare for 80 degree dorm temps on average. My first year, I bought a digital thermometer and measured 86 degrees one time!</p>

<p>However it’s only like that until maybe the last week of September(4 weeks in) and it starts to cool off very quickly. Then it doesn’t get hot again until May which is usually when school is out anyway. </p>

<p>But yea, my preference was a box fan and a smaller fan.</p>

<p>I got a small table fan. Didn’t really want to haul a big ol box fan around. Son said it worked great.</p>