What race should I put on applications/forms?

I’m Puerto Rican. I know that my ethnicity is Hispanic (Puerto Rican), but I never know what to put as race. I, myself, look white, but I know that simply skin color does not determine race. One of my parents has a primarily Native American (Taíno) color. And as being Puerto Rican, and as having taken a DNA test, I know my heritage comes from Spain (white), Native American Taínos, and a little North/West African, as most other Puerto Rican’s. The only races in my immediate family are white and mixed Native American, so should I put a mix of those two and check both boxes? Or should I just be going with white, as that is what I, myself, am?

It really depends on how you view yourself. If you feel like you are white, then you put white. It is such a personal decision.
I empathize with you, since I am Puerto Rican as well and really, we are just Puerto Rican. Having to break down our rich culture into boxes of European, Black or Native which every PR person is, is hard because it doesnt really feel like telling the truth, right?
I dont identify with white or black, and have been raised with parts of the Taino culture that can be traced back through my maternal line so I identify as non tribal Native.
Could you also put non tribal Native? I think you could, but if you dont identify as Native, then should you?

If your DNA test says you are part Native American and part African American, then you are Native American and African American. Why not check the boxes which you give you the greatest advantage? How you view yourself has nothing to do with it.

Doesn’t race not play a factor in applications, and not give you any advantages no matter what you choose? And, I know I am of white, Native American Taíno, and some African descent, so should I put all three? Is that advantageous?

Also, @MamaBear2001 , does being Native American Taíno of Puerto Rico mean that you are non tribal? Is it incorrect to say Native American when I’m talking about Taíno ancestry? What does non tribal mean, and there isn’t usually a box for that. So far, I usually check White, and Native American with filled in “Taíno.” I don’t put African/black because even though it’s in my DNA tests, none of my ancestors that I know of were black. Or should i?

You’re overthinking this. Bottom line, each college will decide on its own (unless state law says otherwise) how/if this information is important to the admissions process.

But to be clear, for the Common App, at least, there is no “Native American” category. The option is “American Indian or Alaska Native.” Now one can question if the Common App is being PC or too American centric, but the intent in this case is too mean Continental US when referring to “American Indian”.

Taino are indigenous to the Caribbean, not the lower 48. Some colleges may give a preferences to indigenous peoples of Canada/Mexico/central & South America/Caribbean. Others don’t. You generally have no way of knowing who’s who.

You can certainly check off several boxes, and let the college decide (which they will anyway). There really is no wrong answer as the question of how to classify Puerto Ricans has been going on forever.

Whatever you do , don’t just check off White. You will get more considerations by checking off other boxes. “Select all that apply.”

@ejmorales227 Taino is not a Federally recognized tribe, and I am personally not apart of a tribe, that is why I said non-tribal. You can put both white and american indian, or white.
I would not suggest you put african american, based on what you have already written, but ultimately it is your decision.
Being hispanic is already a uRM, so please dont feel like you need to think too much about your race. Like what has already been said, the colleges will ultimately decide for you.

@ejmorales227 also, just in case I didnt answer that, it is not incorrect to say native american when saying Taino.
if you normally pick white and Native american, why change it for college?