What Should I Do?

So I got into the Early Decision 1 program and paid the $800 deposit and proceeded to follow the instructions under the “Next Step” tab. But one instruction that I didn’t exactly follow was the part about withdrawing all applications as I have yet to receive anything in the mail resembling a packet regarding acceptance and, more importantly, financial aid from GWU. After reading something on college board that said that my offer could get rescinded with "The only acceptable reason not to withdraw other applications immediately is that the student is waiting to hear about financial aid, I have been incredibly agitated. Do you think they would rescind my acceptance and if this does become an issue, can I just say that I was waiting to hear about my other offers for financial reasons to see which would be the most affordable. I already heard back from one school, which I was rejected from, and have not heard back from my other two. Please lmk and thanks in advance

Technically, the only reason you can change your mind about GW is if your aid package comes and it’s not enough for you to attend. If you want to wait for aid packages from other accepted schools in order to determine the cheapest route, then that would be a breach of the Early Decision agreement with GW. If you can afford it, then you committed to attend. The point isn’t to commit if and only if it’s the cheapest of your options.

As far as GW rescinding your acceptance, no, they can’t do that until after you receive your financial aid package. Once you receive it, however, you’re obligated to withdraw your application to the other schools if you make the determination that you can afford GW.

Good luck!

@NHuffer You seem to have a lot of GW knowledge from different threads I have read. My D is awaiting ED2 decision. Do you happen to know if Financial Aid package would come with an acceptance notification? Same question for Merit award money?

@classof2023ill No, the financial aid package will come after the acceptance package. I don’t recall how long, but I want to say a week or two.